justinc

velcro containers

yes it's true, velcro is not recommended for freeflying, in fact it's not even apparent on any rigs being sold today for whatever discipline you choose in the sky - get the idea?

If you're in the buying process, why get stuck with something that is not as safe?
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

yes it's true, velcro is not recommended for freeflying, in fact it's not even apparent on any rigs being sold today for whatever discipline you choose in the sky - get the idea?

If you're in the buying process, why get stuck with something that is not as safe?

you can buy a racer 2k3 (no velcro up the sides) or NOS (with all the velcro). Arguably, the racer NOS is the most comfortable rig out there. However, if I was into FFing (and I am not) I would look for a 2k3 - it is bulletproof.

rm

I freefly my circa 1993 Racer with velcro. Some velcro rigs are not good to freefly, some are ok. My rig has excellent pin protection. Don't freefly a rig that has bridle velcroed to the outside of the rig; you want good bridle protection. Trust your instructors and your rigger, seek their advice and have them inspect any gear before you purchase it.

Velcro is NOT a good idea for freeflying.

I'm assuming you are talking about velcro on the riser covers. I hope your not talking about the Velcro attachment point on your bridle (That's fine). Velcor anywhere else is BAD.

Lets take Velcro on your Riser covers for example. You are going HD at 160-170 mph. If your riser flap comes open and your risers slide over your shoulder, this could be bad. At best you'll open with sever line twists, at worst you could have a premature opening going HD and snap your spine. Get the picture???

Riser protection is just as important as handle, pin, and bridle protection. i would avoid velcro. See if your rigger can modify your rig to move from Velcro to Tuck Tabs. See if your rigger can modify your rig to be freefly friendly. Check with advanced Freeflyers in your area and get their imput on your gear.

Stay Safe...........

I freefly my circa 1993 Racer with velcro. Some velcro rigs are not good to freefly, some are ok. My rig has excellent pin protection. Don't freefly a rig that has bridle velcroed to the outside of the rig; you want good bridle protection. Trust your instructors and your rigger, seek their advice and have them inspect any gear before you purchase it.

My freefall pal had one of them 'guaranteed freefly friendly' velcro rigs. We were out there having fun when I for a brief second thought I saw something flapping. Milliseconds later his canopy deployed.

He was a bit lucky though. Didn't get a horseshoe. Instead the PC war ripped out and wrapped around the canopy before the slider had come down at all.

Which was probably pretty good because we were going pretty fast. He cut away and deployed reserve. Last jump on that rig right there - now he has a Mirage G4.

My freefall pal had one of them 'guaranteed freefly friendly' velcro rigs. We were out there having fun when I for a brief second thought I saw something flapping. Milliseconds later his canopy deployed.

He was a bit lucky though. Didn't get a horseshoe. Instead the PC war ripped out and wrapped around the canopy before the slider had come down at all.

Which was probably pretty good because we were going pretty fast. He cut away and deployed reserve. Last jump on that rig right there - now he has a Mirage G4.

Same thing happened with me and a friend, although he had a horseshoe. One second FF, next second he wasnt there. Cut away and landed fine. I'm hellof new in this sport, but wont FF with anyone who has velcro on the rig or the rig doesnt look FF safe.

I've seen containers that are worse for freeflying than racers. Like a Javelin or Wings without the secondary riser covers. Tuck tabs come open more often than my racers riser covers. If people don't know what racers riser protection looks like the risers are completely enclosed. When all velcro is mated you cannot see the risers see pic. The velcro get replaced yearly its a cheap 10 minute operation.
I ff in a rig that was made when I was 2 yr oldB|
Na' Cho' Cheese

I've seen containers that are worse for freeflying than racers. Like a Javelin or Wings without the secondary riser covers.

What? There are PLENTY of frefly friendly rigs without secondary riser covers.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

depending on what rig velcro can be superior than tuck tabs but only if well maintained

the below comment is by none other than bill booth himself. but the following comment is also true!

billbooth

In a lot of ways, Velcro is superior to tuck tabs. Most of our military customers have realized this, and order Velcro exclusively. The grass always seems greener....until you actually get to the other side of the fence, and see that there is crab grass over there too.

riggermick

Just like real grass it is very labor intensive, tuck tabs are more akin to Astroturf!!

Mick.

having said all that i prefer tuck tabs!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

My rig has excellent pin protection. Don't freefly a rig that has bridle velcroed to the outside of the rig; you want good bridle protection.

AND you must have good riser protection.

I freefly my circa 1993 Racer with velcro.

That is suicidal...

In a lot of ways, Velcro is superior to tuck tabs. Most of our military customers have realized this, and order Velcro exclusively.

Has anyone told him that military freefall is normally belly-flying?!
For a normal freefall speed (about 120 mph), a GOOD MAINTAINED velcro is no problem. But when I fly with a speed of easily 200mph, I prefer a rig with tuck tabs. And I assume, that this is not one of these "a lot ways, where Velcro is superior to tuck tabs".
If your parachute fails to open, remember you have the rest of your live to fix it.

the racer 2k3 has NO velcro, has been out for about 4 years and is VERY secure for FFing. You can still buy a racer with velcro on the shoulders or on the sides (I love mine). In my opinion, Jumpshack does not do the best job of pointing out the advantages and disadvantages of each model.

rm

Per the Jump Shack Link Provided

"Tuck tabs are acceptable in certain applications - but inappropriate in many others. Change for the sake of marketing purposes is unwise to say the least, when it affects the integrity and functionality of life saving equipment".

I'd ask Jump Shack if they consider Freeflying, one of the certain applications where Tuck Tabs are acceptable. I'll bet they say yes.

I see nothing in this Jumps Shack description that is recommending Velcro as a Freefly Friendly option. Nor do I think they would recommend it in good judgement.

Per the Jump Shack Link Provided

"Tuck tabs are acceptable in certain applications - but inappropriate in many others. Change for the sake of marketing purposes is unwise to say the least, when it affects the integrity and functionality of life saving equipment".

I'd ask Jump Shack if they consider Freeflying, one of the certain applications where Tuck Tabs are acceptable. I'll bet they say yes.

I see nothing in this Jumps Shack description that is recommending Velcro as a Freefly Friendly option. Nor do I think they would recommend it in good judgement.

totally agree with you. the 2k3 (no velcro) is what to get for FFing.

rm