grue

How to do cartwheels in a sit?

In my sit progression, I can hold a neutral position, move forward and backward, and do both front and back flips in the sit and go right back into it, but I haven't tried cartwheels yet. Anyone have any tips before i go just flail around and try this?
cavete terrae.

Do you know how to start a cartwheel on the ground? I found it was a very similar movement in the air. Go up and give it a try, you might find it easier to do then you thought.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

cameraflyer advice: you want your head to stay stationary, while your body rotates around it. this is hard to visualize on the ground, but it involves bringing your legs and arms in (get really small), a quick rotation around your head, and then jamming your legs down into headdown (if you're stopping there) or back down into sit if you're doing a full cartwheel. throughout the entire move, focus hard on looking straight at your subject as it rotates through your field of view.

please note that this version of the cartwheel is not very pretty for other people to see, but your video of everyone else will look super smooth, and they will just rotate without jostling around.

Scotts advice is right on; to add to it...see attached...

1. Get stable in a sit and look at an object (if with others then another freeflyer, else the sun or cloud).

2. tuck one side of your body and lead with your head. in essence, i've found it is best to rotate around your head because of the ease of mainting eye contact on something

3. your body will go around. when a little passed upside-down, counter with the same side of your body that you tucked. if you tuck with left, you'll do the cartwheel to the left, and the spread out again with the left.

4. when you are back to normal sit position...start flying again. you may want to extend the counter or ease up depending on the momentum.

5. ALWAYS MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT - this will not only help you now, but in all relative freeflying. :)

Try it! Just go for it! Several times on the same jump if doing solo maintain altitude awareness of course. Ever watched any good freestylist video? Some videos it's easy to pinpoint what part of the body was used to initiate the move and recover. Try this for starters, sitfly neutral, only kick both legs directly to your side. i mean straighten legs to the side so they really catch air. As your legs catch air and your going upside down, ball up, stop in the sitfly. Recap: start sitfly neutral, extend both legs directly to side, ball up , sitfly. If at 1st you don't succeed, try again. It is easy to rotate either forward or back of your shoulder which will cause a turn and slight disorientation. When doing 2 way starting from sit if facing off, initially speed up(quick stand),cartwheel,speed up, adjust levels.

lead with your head. in essence, i've found it is best to rotate around your head because of the ease of mainting eye contact on something

i've found that telling people to 'lead with your head' tends to cause people to look down and/or twist their shoulders while attempting to 'lead'... which creates unnessesary movement and unintended affects that have to be countered to stay aligned..

IME its better to tuck the side you are rotating toward and 'allow the air move you' while rotating around your head until you counteract the motion ..