javip82

Best exit for sitfly?

I usually jump with people who just got their A' license and want to learn how to sitlfy. I am not saying I am a coach or anything like it, but some people just want some good pointers on how to sitlfy faster and better. So I guess my question is, what is the best exit position in a 2-way or a 3-way for someone who is just learning how to sitfly? what position will get them out of the door stable and on to their sit faster?
thank u

I'd also be interested to hear opinions on this...

When i was a newbie learning to sit with a more experienced jumper on two ways we used to do a lot of knee lock exits and just roll out the door.

She'd then nod and we'd put our arms out to bring the whole thing stable and then nod again to key the release of legs.
It's important that you stress that they drive with the hips after the release so they don't backslide miles away.

It's also important that you're competent enough in the sky to be able to get out of the way in a hurry if need be.

Be safe out there.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Train exits are also good with the less experienced person on the bottom.
I cant stress how important it is for the ' top person' to be absolutely sure they can see where they are putting their feet..........no reserve snags please.

It allows the bottom person to kinda work on the leg and arm position whilst the more experinced flyer takes the toll in keeping you both stable....

Whenever I did a 2 way when I was still learning the very basics we always did a train with me on the bottom. Everyone I have spoken to seemed to agreen that this is the best way of doing it. When I did a coach jump with Chris Lynch he did the same thing.

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

For the very beginners I take them out in a train and tell them to fly like I'm not there and then I just plunk them into a sit.

For the people who are fairly stable, I usually freefly the exit and have them exit facing the tail of the plane and go right into a sit, I either dive out after them or just pop off in front of them.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I like to exit in a sit position facing rearwards...actually is a backfly exit in relation to the relative wind. As you round the hill, can backfly or just push down on the feet to enter a head up position.

This was much easier for me to keep stable than a head up to relative wind exit.

IMHO, I never "learned" too much from gorilla or train exits...the more experienced flyer can just compensate too much...haven't done them in a while...but they are "fun"
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I never "learned" too much from gorilla or train exits...the more experienced flyer can just compensate too much...haven't done them in a while...but they are "fun"

The whole idea of a train exit in this context is to help people learn the position by getting them head up and stable out of the door and then to let them build the visuals and muscle memory of a head up position without having to deal with the stability issues right off the bat.....
For this it works very well.
Its not a 'true' sitfly' poistion but does aid in building awareness of limb alignment in a head up orientation.
If you are doing it for this reason and not just to hold it as long as possible......the more experienced person on top will usually let go of the bottom flyer a soon as they are stable.....usually a couple of seconds off the hill.
If they want to feel the position a bit longer....you just hold them there for a while longer.

This was much easier for me to keep stable than a head up to relative wind exit.

I think most people are more comfortable this way from what I have seen........the people who progress are the ones who you chuckle at because they are falling off of the plane whilst they are trying to launch out in every orientation they can think off.
Thats one of my personal goals head up....to be stable AND controlled off the step no matter what exit position/orientation ....just takes practice and the willingness to step away from what you already can do repeatedly
I keep trying it all ways.....and guess what....I'm getting much much better

I like to exit in a sit position facing rearwards...actually is a backfly exit in relation to the relative wind. As you round the hill, can backfly or just push down on the feet to enter a head up position.

um, when I'm freeflying a sit exit like you describe, the relative wind is not at your back if you're front float (which I assume is facing rearwards?). It's actually coming up at 45 degrees. This is because the plane is still moving forward, and you're moving with it as you exit. When you combine this with the fact that you're stepping off the plane (so the relative wind is coming up at you), you get a 45 degree relative wind.

This may explain why you're coming off a lot on your back, instead of getting into a sit immediately. You're trying to get your feet to go straight down, and this means that the air coming across at you as the plane moves is actually hitting your back, causing you to roll over. If you concentrate on getting your feet into that 45 degree wind push, it makes staying in a sit - not rolling over on your back) much easier. This would mean tilting your body 45 degrees forward if you're front float, and 45 degrees backward if you're rear float. At least that's what Dave Brown taught me when I was first learning to sit-fly, and this is what I like to tell newer sit-flyers when I go fun jump with them. :)
As for sit exits, trains are good, but I have found that I do a lot of the flying especially with new sit-fliers. Also, it gets really interesting when a new sit-flier will start to slide backwards, as new sit-fliers tend to do. It's been better for me to let them freefly the exit.
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

My preference is a tight knee lock. Let the rear float jumper rotate slightly back on exit so as to orient properly into the relative wind and as you clear the hill you can build that visual of horizon and keep your eyes on the other jumper for hand signals. Break off is a quick nod and you shouldn't go very far from each other.

Train exits are fun but are a lot more work IMHO, plus there is no eye contact and break off is often sudden.

When I was working on solos I'd freefly the exit usually or just exit with my back to the relative wind in a sit.

Cheers.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

um, when I'm freeflying a sit exit like you describe, the relative wind is not at your back if you're front float (which I assume is facing rearwards?). It's actually coming up at 45 degrees. This is because the plane is still moving forward, and you're moving with it as you exit. When you combine this with the fact that you're stepping off the plane (so the relative wind is coming up at you), you get a 45 degree relative wind.

45 degrees? But the plane is moving horizontally. The wind immediately out the door is coming from the front. At least, when I exit rear float, I jump out in my sit so that I am facing the ground -- my body is parallel to the earth. I can see how 45 could work if you have some control already because it is so close, but that does not seem to be in absolute relative wind out the door to me.

When I used to do 4way, we always tried to present towards the wing with our chests -- I would think the same would apply with my feet or whatever I want into the relative wind.

Not criticizing, but I don't understand the 45 degree thing. What am I missing?
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

45 degrees? But the plane is moving horizontally. The wind immediately out the door is coming from the front. At least, when I exit rear float, I jump out in my sit so that I am facing the ground -- my body is parallel to the earth. I can see how 45 could work if you have some control already because it is so close, but that does not seem to be in absolute relative wind out the door to me.

When I used to do 4way, we always tried to present towards the wing with our chests -- I would think the same would apply with my feet or whatever I want into the relative wind.

Not criticizing, but I don't understand the 45 degree thing. What am I missing?

He's right though, i've always been coached that when exiting facing the tail you exit with your body t 45 degrees and when facing the props you exit and drive your feet back up the hill.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

you're right, the wind is going sideways as you exit, but you're only in the sideways wind for a very short amount of time. This is because you immediately start falling, so you have downward velocity. You do, however, have forward velocity from being in the plane as well as downward velocity from falling. Therefore, until you get off the hill and into terminal velocity, you decrease your forward speed and increase your downward speed. Therefore, if you present to the wind coming across, you're going to end up on your back or front, and not in a sit.

At least that's how Dave Brown explained it to me.

And peej, I'm a girl. ;)
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie