ncfitzge

Learn to do Head Down

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, Target Skysports put such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't think I will jump in England anymore. They would refuse to back the gear I rented from, just on the fact I am an American. I heard the same about Sibson. But thank you for the offer.

That's strange, we have Americans jumping here permanently and coming through all the time :o

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I'd have to agree with fitz on this one. I'm not saying it was because we were american, maybe just because no one there knew us...a new face, but it was a horrible experience and I wouldnt go back. Hell, I didnt even jump and fitz turned in his second ticket to leave. Horrible experience.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

This is a chat forum, we are not at the DZ, talking trash and just doing what we like. We are asking the experience how to go about something.

The only forum where trash talking is acceptable is really just Bonfire. All of the other forums are generally learning forums. People often take the advice that they learn on the forums and practice it at the dz. The old-timers on the forums know this and that is why they are quick to point out what could be wrong with some information and they offer other suggestions.

We don't want anyone to get hurt because of information they read on this website. This is especially important in freeflying because of the high speeds involved. There is a jumper in DeLand who is now paralyzed because he was coaching a student in headdown and the student corked and flew into him. It can happen and it can happen to you.

Yes, skydiving is supposed to be fun, but it is also serious business, especially when you are learning a new skill. Let's be careful out there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There is a VERY EXPERIENCED jumper in DeLand who had 1000's of jumps AND tunnel hours AND is now paralyzed because he was coaching a student in headdown and the student corked and flew into him. It can happen and it can happen to you.

Just tried to drive the point home to them a little harder Andrea by adding some info. The video he made is quite chilling.

1 second when you can't see somebody is all it takes.

Blues.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Thanks again to all. My point "we are not at the DZ talking trash and doing what we like", meant that we are not those newbies that dont listen at the DZ and tell tall stories of grandure, do whatever we want, and disrespect the sport and the people in it. We understand the risks in trying something new, but you have to start sometime so AGAIN, we are just trying to get as much information as we can before we get to the DZ this saturday. Then we will take everything we read (good/bad), speak to the people that know us/jumped with us, and move to the next step. Just trying to get as much info as possible so we have an idea before hand on what we are going to try and all the risks involved. Thanks again for everyones input, it has all been an eye opener. Much appreciated. We will tell everyone if it actually happened when we get back. Blue skied everyone!!!
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

No worries - I'm happy to see that you are learning just how much more dangerous HD can be.

Skydiving is a fun relief of daily stress. To me, it's great cause I can not necessarily stress but really focus intently on something that in the end will hopefully have a beautiful outcome (meaning a great smooth jump/opening/landing).

Good luck to you & your endevors into the dark side. One more word if I may, don't permanently turn your back on RW - there are many skills to be learned there.

Hope to catch up to you one time at a dz somewhere, we'll fall out of the sky at the same time.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

You may get a little static because you state you are looking for advice but are truly only absorbing what you want to hear.

You say:

Thats why we are asking for advice and taking it all in to try a new disaline correctly and as safe as we can.

When the only advice you've taken is Trae's. Who has instructed you on how to dive up the windline and confirmed that "YOU WILL BE IN HEADOWN" to give you the confidence that you will be vertical.

Everyone else that has asked either that you seek a coach instead of asking for typed word from strangers, or asked that you become an efficient head-up flying BEFORE attempting HD, has been brushed off.

You say nobody can tell you you're not good enough because they haven't seen you fly. What makes you think they can instruct you into HD then? Also, you have confirmed that the coaches and instructors that HAVE seen you fly, have suggested you wait a bit. Proving that you are not willing to listen until you get what you want.

The reason everyone on here, with the exception of ONE, is a little warry of intructing you into HD is because you ARE supposed to be able to hold a sit stable BEFORE learning or even attempting HD. You blow that off like you are being held back. You are actually asking how to skip steps in your progression!

I may have been a little harsh telling you to grow up but I'm afraid I feel you are being immature. Asking a bunch of strangers for advice, and taking only that which you like, from one "Wing suit flyer/Freefall photographer".

SO! All that being said: make it solo, make it 90 degrees to the wind line, don't stay in "head down" for more then 3 seconds at a time, don't go to your belly in between attempts but to what you might call your "sit" position, have a ton of fun and let us know how you make out :)
Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

If your still going to do it, do it out of a cessna with a extreamly long seperation between groups and pre warn whoever is on the plane. Obviously you KNOW your "good" enough to just get it immediatly so I guess I'll see you on a head down world record when you have 150 jumps.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

Someone woke up with their cranky pants on. Anyways, we returned from our trip. It all went great. I only tried HD from a few second a couple times. And I have to admit, it was sorta fun flopping around. I was able to get steadin for a few seconds one of the times. But in the end, I had my fun. I will be looking forward to taking a coach with me.

Thanks all.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

LOL.....
This post makes me laugh!!!:D:D

I can feel your pain:P, I want to free fly more than anything and have hit a lot of the same road blocks you are fighting right now.
I have some really cool instructors looking out for me, and the bottom line is be safe at what you do and don't put others into danger. Just think if you can avoid all the stuiped mistakes others have made and live a long time you might just be one of the people that you see in FF video's that pumped you up in the first place.

Be humble and keep your ears open it might just save your life someday.;);)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Be humble and keep your ears open it might just save your life someday.;);)

When was the last time you updated your profile? You can't possibly have 100 jumps. :S:D

Blues,
Dave

Just ask me I am the 100 jump wonder..:$:$

Any one want free coaching..:D:D:D:D:D Wes that is a joke..
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Just ask me I am the 100 jump wonder..:$:$

Well then you're slacking. Hundred jump wonders don't say things like "be humble" and "keep your ears open". You have a title to live up to man, get cocky! ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If you are still watching this thread, I have a piece of advice that is worth my jump numbers, so take it for what it is. Freeflying is fun, and is extremely rewarding to fly relative with other people. Grabbing a foot every now and then, getting close enough to touch each other in magical ways:o and having some badass let you jump with him because you are not completely cocky (or corky) and getting spocked out of nowhere is really exciting. But until you can fly down the tube in a sit, forget about all of that. I do mostly solo sitfly jumps (because I'm not really local anywhere) and do many drills to practice getting stable. Try these and I promise you will have a hard time getting bored:

1. 1/4 turns both directions
2. pass a pull up chord from one hand to the other, or touch you nose with alternating hands, rub your nipples, anything that takes your hands out of your "sit"
3. Sit to sit front flip and back flip
4. Cart wheels (hold it in the middle for a quick HD)
5. Sit exits with others, no contact
6. Stable docks on others

If you start working on these things, you will forget about head down. By the time you can do all of these HD will be easy to learn and a lot more fun to fly. Consult a coach, make sure people on the load know what you are doing, and go have fun. I started freeflying at about 35 jumps because I bought a rig that was FF Friendly. I am glad I don't fly on my belly. But I only fly HD on exit and transitions. If you want the sport to FUN for a long time, don't go for then end game right off the bat.

Have fun!
...FUN FOR ALL!

Thats the kind of stuff I have been working on. I just moved back to the states and found a new home DZ. So I am geting to know all the people and homing my skills on some RW work. After I do that I am going to start the freefly stuff again. Thanks again for the suggestions.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

your right in the fact as long as he isnt endagering aanyone then have at it. but we are also right in advising him to become proficient h/u before learning h/d. it will help him learn the posistion quicker. no one is saying you cant play with us h/d flyers. we are trying to help him. and yes if he is serious about flying head down he must learn head up first. you cant always just stay on your head especialy during your first 500-1000 ff jumps. so if he cant fly on his feet, whats he suppose to do? go to his belly?
im sorry people pounced on you for expressing your opinion. thats fucked up. you were very humble and respectful and you didnt deserve to be ripped a new one. i think some fflyers are frustarted with the amount of " how do i fly h/d " posts. its just not that easy of a dicipline. and someone with 50 jumps thats serious about learning it should slow it down a bit and learn correctlt. its cool to try it out now and then but dont expect to make much progress if your not learning hu first. thats all were trying to get across. it could have been said with more taste though.
blueskies bro
p.s. what type of a/c do you fly? if your a jet pilot your one lucky dog! i always dreamed of flying when i was in the marine corp.

I just wanted to try it a couple times. The main thing I have been working on is my Sit and Standing.... Which I did pretty good in my last video. Since this thread was back in April, I believe I only tried head down twice and only for a few seconds at a time. I got my kicks, now I am working on moving on all 3 axis.

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat

Only 55, I lived in England until Oct. Not really a good dz to jump at where I was. We had to fly to Texel Holland to find a good one.

In fact I just ordered my own gear and once it get here I will start to jump every weekend. Sorta hard to work on canopy control when you are on a different rig each time.

Once I get all my turns / flips down, I will be posting a video on skydivingmovies.com of my progression from day one.

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat

Fitz, a copy of your video was mailed AGAIN and if you send me instructions on how you set you up on my FTP, You can download it from my computer whenever. I'll be back on Monday and will be flying out on Friday.

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146