FFlyer

HeadDown in a swimming pool?

We dont have any tunnels here for practicing freeflying (that i know of) and im really battling to get a basic down the tube HD position. I keep zooming forward because my legs are bent at the knees.

So would getting upside down in a pool and practicing HD be worth it or just a waste of time? I think it might be good since the water will present a bit of resistence on the legs which will hopefully build some muscle memory.

If there are any other things that can be practiced on the ground to help get a basic HD position, id appreciate hearing them.

Thanks, cheers

Do a headstand man simple.... balance on just your index fingers so there is little/no weight. Then bring the fingers closer intowards you so you are really challenging your balance. Then try one finger, then none.

Watch your neck if it is weak.(I have old neck injury which plays up sometimes after running em) I dont know if it's bad for ya but those breakdancers seem to hang out on their heads heaps. Works for them??

Dunno about muscle memory but its fun and you sure get to know how your legs feel above ya.
My friends and I used to hang out in headstands and do mock docks. In italy one time we even built a tenway on the beach. My first and only tenway!

Resistance.....hmmm..... Tie some bungy cord between your legs LOL

Hmm...imagining some elaborate system with boots with pulleys running along some wire. That would build those achy headdown mucsles. lol

Headdowns a beyotch Goodluck!
Yahoo Serious

Funny you suggest that.....
I did a bit of that and personally found it very helpful.....especially with your head underwater.....I could focus alot more on my 'position'

Get someone to look at what you are doing who can advise you on position.....of course everything will be different in the air....but developing that 'feel' for where your legs are in a pool aint a bad idea at all....and in the air your can kinda 'take yourself back' to what it felt like.......my opinion only

be sure to get someone who knows what they are doing to point out good/bad body position so you dont 'ingrain' bad postures.....

Shit......its easier on you than a dry land headstand if you can hold ya breath a bit....
My local pool is always busy....i tried it all in my bath....but it didnt work out ...;)

.....of course everything will be different in the air....but developing that 'feel' for where your legs are in a pool aint a bad idea at all....and in the air your can kinda 'take yourself back' to what it felt like.......my opinion only

Yeah, thats what im hoping. Just to get a feel for where and how my body is positioned so I could try and mimic that in the air (but yes, it wont be exactly the same). Because just by stading with my legs wide open on the ground, im not really feeling much in terms of holding my legs apart without the help of the ground.

Shit......its easier on you than a dry land headstand if you can hold ya breath a bit....

I think it will probably take me longer to learn how to do a headstand on the ground with no hands than it will take me to become a kickass HD flyer :P;)
But ill give it a try!!

We dont have any tunnels here for practicing freeflying (that i know of) and im really battling to get a basic down the tube HD position. I keep zooming forward because my legs are bent at the knees.

So would getting upside down in a pool and practicing HD be worth it or just a waste of time? I think it might be good since the water will present a bit of resistence on the legs which will hopefully build some muscle memory.

If there are any other things that can be practiced on the ground to help get a basic HD position, id appreciate hearing them.

Thanks, cheers

Watch TV upside down while eating doritos

actually her is what I used to do....

get s ubway ticket in th emiddle of the day when no one is on...

spread legs apart until I could feel my ass pushing forward

not hold onto anything.

let your legs do the balancing in this position...

it will help I promise.

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What a good Idea... Never thought about that before, I do without even thinking about it every time I'm on a subway.

Also, to get used to pushing outward, simply stand straight up in a natural position. Spread the legs out wide, toes forward, with the legs straight but knees not locked. Push outward.

The Idea is to get the entire leg into the wind. Flying on the sides of the lower leg versus only the thighs.

If you're washing dishes or standing around talking to someone, do that and it will become second nature when you're more comfortable flying head down.

Things to think about. Straight up and down is usually not what you think it is. Stand up against a pole to be sure the spine is straight. Let the shoulders hang natural while doing this. Assume the stance then step away from the pole. The upper body should remain neutral.

Arching is not a bad habit, it's just a habit engrained from learning to skydive. To fly head down, that habit only needs to be changed, not forgotten.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Out of season, I used to use a pool to feel like being in the air a little. But not upside down.

It feels a little like flying for about 1 second after you go under water and push off of the wall. You can do spins and quick transitions from head to sit if you practice enough. The movement is identical, but as mentioned, it only lasts about 1 or 2 seconds then it's over. Fun as hell if you happen to be in a pool and Jonesing for a jump. :)

Arching is not a bad habit, it's just a habit engrained from learning to skydive. To fly head down, that habit only needs to be changed, not forgotten.

Hehe arching, whats that, somethign you do on hop and pops right?

hehe, just kidding, I actually do belly fly sometimes

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

It just takes some balance. Flipping into it will likely make it difficult. From your back, touch your knees to your chest, then put 'em back out again when you're vertical. From you stomach, just scoop your whole body up and force your legs down almost in to a sit.

Just cause you're sitflying doesn't mean your sitting. It's flying either way. What I mean is, try not to relax on your butt. Your whole body is relaxing on the wind evenly.

Keep 45-degree angles on everything and practice. 45-degrees at your knees, underarms, waste, between the legs, etc. you dig?

If you feel yourself falling back, tuck your knees. If you are falling forward get balance and try again...eventually, what I'm saying will make a whole-lotta-sense.

ps. do you own craigslist or something?