Darius11

So how many jumps did it take you do be able to fly in a stable sit

Including backsliding?:D

I was able to get where I was in a sit and "stable" not corking or anything in about 6-10 jumps, but then it took another while to figure out I was backsliding then another while to learn how to dock, etc.

Then again I was at a little 182 DZ near DFW and when I asked some folks about how to freefly they told me "oh you need a special jumpsuit with wings to do that..." so I was on my own. Just me a FF videos to watch at home.:)
I'm sure there's folks at places like SD Chicago, Spaceland, Dallas, Perris, etc that have top notch FF coaching that are able to learn to do in 5 jumps what took me 100.

That's badass that FFing has grown up so fast and is continuing to grow up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No not including backsliding.

Just being able to hold a sit from the door to brake off.

I suck ass at it. I can hold it if I ware jeans and something baggy on top. but if I ware my freefly suit the extra drag kicks my ass.
But I want to learn in the freefly suit. I had one of the worlds best freeflyers tell me if I am patient I might as well learn in the freefly suit from the start.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I bet your legs aren't solid when you're in a sit.

Think about keeping your legs fairly rigid at 90deg angles and pushing the soles of your feet down into the wind. Also keep your feet shoulder width apart, if you get loose there your feet will blow together creating a triangle shape which isn't stable at all.;)

I bet your legs aren't solid when you're in a sit.

Think about keeping your legs fairly rigid at 90deg angles and pushing the soles of your feet down into the wind. Also keep your feet shoulder width apart, if you get loose there your feet will blow together creating a triangle shape which isn't stable at all.;)

Were you on the jump with me:)
Yea man it is weird I just tell people that I am doing transition over and over and over again.:P
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Were you on the jump with me

I'm secretly stalking you...you best not go into your bathroom this morning, since I secretly "stalked" that too...:D

Ok, seriously, you're having a problem that a LOT of people have. Once they master their legs then they usually just need to situp a little bit to stop backsliding and BAM they're in a perfectly good sit fly.:)

As far as your feet go, keeping them closer together will help to keep you upright. Keeping your lower body 'small', and your upper body 'big' (as in arms out) will help to keep you upright without too much thought. Get used to the idea of flying your upper body, and just keeping your lower body straight into the wind.

You will need to use your lower body more later on, so don't follow the above advice for too long, but if you can get to the point where you're comfortable being upright and flying your upper body, you'll be able to start moving your lower body into a better position fairly easily.

Just like in HD where you fly mostly your legs, and keep your upper body still, and straight into the wind, sit flying is just the opposite.

Don't worry about how many jumps it takes you or anyone else to develop a skill. Just focus on developing the skill, and move on.

It took me about 6-10.

What you need to ask now is how many jumps people had before they tried, and find out how that correlates to how many it took them to be able to have a stable sit.

I bet it takes someone starting with 40 jumps a lot longer than it takes someone starting with 300...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

No not including backsliding.

Just being able to hold a sit from the door to brake off.

I suck ass at it. I can hold it if I ware jeans and something baggy on top. but if I ware my freefly suit the extra drag kicks my ass.
But I want to learn in the freefly suit. I had one of the worlds best freeflyers tell me if I am patient I might as well learn in the freefly suit from the start.

I am exactly the same way. I started sitflying in a bigger rig and no suit. I only had about 15 jumps that way, but my sit was pretty stable (albeit backsliding like a mofo). Then I got a smaller rig. And I found out that I was using the bigger rig as support. Then I got a freefly suit. Now, it takes me a little while to get my feet down and stay there.

I have found that going into a stand for asecond then back to a sit helps. I know it is going to take me longer to learn with the suit, but since I bought it, I am just going to be patient. I am in no hurry. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

There was a rather large break in my progression due to my freefly-unfriendly rig, so I think it took me 10-15 jumps to hold it stable.

75 sit jumps later, and I'm really starting to enjoy it, and I'm working on my body position and mobility. Sitflying's hard, but I love it! B|

is it weird that i can fly better when i am wearing shorts and a t shirt? when i have freefly pants, or a suit on i feel the extra drag gets me all over the place. but in shorts i can hold head down and sit totally stable, havnig trouble docking successfuly in head down, but sit fly no problem... stable in sit after 15 trys.

Dont die!

Sit flying is easier to learn if you don't have any drag on due the the fact that when your learning the hardest thing is to keep your feet down, so the less drag the easier it becomes. The one thing that helped me was someone told me to put all my weight in my toes because when your learning most of your effort is acutally comming from your arms to keep you stable and that puts you into a funny position that is really hard to break if you don't correct it before it becomes a habbit. The toes not the heels, if you put all your weight in your heels you tend to backslide because your body is all hunched over.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

it took me about 30 something to get so I was flying down the tube, then it took me about another hundred to break my bad habits thanks to john skinner pounding the arms forward lounge chair ideal into my head over and over and over....

I say it is better to start with coaching so we get the ideas right instead of making our bodies fly in awkward positions to compensate for poor position ;) (it will save you money in the end to do it first)

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Belly flying is not an athletic sport. Freeflying is an athletic sport. Think of yourself as an athlete. Train your legs. Burn those thighs on the ground and you will have less problem keeping your feet down.

You own that column of air. Make that bitch behave.

hahaha

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Took me less than 10 dedicated tries to hold it from exit to break off. Solos. Then I jumped with a more experienced friend, and she tried to track to keep up with my back slide but could not come near me!:D
So now it's tunnel time (14 minutes last night, more next week) and coached jumps...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

So now it's tunnel time (14 minutes last night, more next week) and coached jumps...

:D:D:D
I have a fine one 1 hour away. And another one popping up few hours to the East. But I may actually swing by FLA later this year.
I'm afraid I'm slowly turning into you, Paige.
A TUNNEL RAT! OMG!:oB|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I managed to do a stable sit after about 4 attempts in the air. That comes after about 20 minutes or so training in the tunnel. I found that trying to sit in a booty suit with a rig on my back was working out poorly. So, I got a suit without booties and grippers. The first sitfly jump in that suit was stable. I'll still roll on to my back, if I try to turn, but I can keep it going if I just stay still.

Cheers