GeordieSkydiver

Sit fly exits.

What are peoples prefered methods of exit when sit flying?

I'm currently learning to sit fly and struggling.

I always end up ass over tit. My most successful sits have been when I exited with my arms out to the sides, knees up into my chest and back to the prop.

I managed to extend legs out into the sit, but only for 10 to 15 seconds, then it got ugly.

Advice?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

My most successful sits have been when I exited with my arms out to the sides, knees up into my chest and back to the prop.

this is more flying your back on the relative wind...

A "back to the prop" exit sould be more like leaning, and sticking your legs into the relative wind.

At least that's how I understand it...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What?

Thats not my question.

I had my back to the prop (propeller) i was facing down jump run, with my arms in the crucifix position.

I want to know other peoples means of exiting into sit thats all.

Thanks.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I'll try to answer this the best way i know how. Im going to assume that your exiting from a 182 or 206??? If its from an otter, the exits should be similar anyways.

I jump out of 182's and the best way that i have found is almost come down the hill just like you would when belly flying. I go out, let go of the strut with one hand, so lets say im facing away from the door, then when i release, i raise my left side a little and it should bring you down the hill into a stable position. I hope you could kind of visualize that.

If not that, i just kind of exit back to relative wind and try to lean forward so i keep my feet into the relative wind.

But then again, everybody has their own way of exiting, its just a matter of finding your own wayB|

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

Feet into the relative wind.

<-----

then progresses to:

/
finally (off the hill ending in):

|
|

So basically if you're facing the prop on exit you want your feet to be towards the nose of the plane with your back to the earth. As you slide down the hill your positioning to the earth will change slowly until you're literally feet down, but through the entire process your feet will be in the relative wind from beginning to end.

It's a long ass download (maybe someone has better video) but look at the 2 way sit exit at the 3:42 mark here It's brief, but notice both jumpers position relative to the plane. One is face to earth, the other is back to earth but BOTH are feet into the relative wind.

Hope I explained this well enough :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i think ian has a good way of explaining it. it won't really matter which way you're facing. Nor how you do it from inside the door to outside the door. just make sure you're thinking of the relative wind and where you want to be positioned (generally) when you get out there. then follow his example up there.

hi geordie :)
ian and vertifly gave very sweet descriptions!
have lots of fun with it 'k' ~ i wish you a happy sit-Exit, yaaay!

i found these two photos of davey-b on the ouragan website:
photo 1 - aggressive leg

photo 2 - x figure

i'm not sure if they will help... but if you are a visually inclined like me --- it might a little :)

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister

Those pictures are great Mel, thanks! :)

you're welcome andrea :)
i've always wanted visuals (videos/photos) to better understand a concept.

i'm really thankful for individuals like davey-b & brian buckland, who can model/capture these photos for us to study B|!

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister

Here's another example pic. Sitflyer's feet toward prop. Torso parallel to Earth. Grab wind with arms. Take your time to set up the exit as close to that position as you can prior to jumping...it will help alot. TONS of positive pressure with your legs. Practice makes perfect...10-15 seconds will turn into 50 seconds in no time. Oh, TONS of positive pressure with your legs.

D.J.

Anybody have any video of this sit exit 'feet into the relative wind' exit style.......A previous teacher explained this to me and it does make sense......howver just exiting 'feet down, arms out.....ride the slide' seems to work fine for me.....that said...I would like to see how it is done

Anybody have any video of this sit exit 'feet into the relative wind' exit style

I posted a link earlier in the thread, but honestly I think the pictures Mel posted of Dave B are a WAY better visual.

howver just exiting 'feet down, arms out.....ride the slide' seems to work fine for me.....

It works but it's actually back flying at first which, if you do with someone who exits a sit into the relative wind, will put you above them (same as flying on your back with a sit flyer).

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Thanks.....I saw that link but its not a movie......it opens a reply to your post.
Would you mind rechecking that link?

I hear ya on the photos......but I am one of those who can learn alot by watching dynamic images, rather than just a still.

Thanks
:)

yeah.....thats better ..
Nice video as well.....I remember seeing it a while back before I started freeflying and thinking...I'd love to do that !!
Nice to see it again from a different viewpoint now....of (some) of it I can do !:)

I was just shown this either way of exits face toward the prop or face toward the tail exit already in the sit position with feet in the relative wind. No wasted time on the hill it is amazing when I was shown this exit it all came together how much easier it was to stay together in a 2 way down the hill when you leave in this position. Also I was given the dirt dive for sit flying. Practice with your back against the wall in the sit position. do it once a day. You will notice that there will be the burning sensation in the tops of the thighs. to practice forward movement at the end of the minute push up with your legs and push your hips forward. after a few weeks of this you should as I did notice a vast improvement in not only your stable sit but the hardest movement I'm told in sit flying, forward movement. Kudos to who ever that gave me that dirt dive on this website cause I'm having awesome time now with forward movement. Starting to dock on people what an awesome thing