Who's been?
What was it like?
Was it worth the money?
Who were the coaches?
Did you learn a lot?
Would you do it again?
Did you have fun?
What was your skill level before/after?

Give me the scoop peeps! I think I'm going to do some tunnel training this winter and I want to make sure that it's worth it before I go. I have about 650 freefly jumps and I'm doing fairly well on my head. Do you think this is a good choice? Or should I hit up a 4way skills camp or something instead?

Help me please!! B|

i did 3 1/2 hours this summer with coaching, 1/2 hour at a time (splitting an hour each time with my gf)... kinda our own little tunnel camps, you know? Definitely worth it. I flew with Joao Tambor, Julianna and Fabian Se, and Sean Macormick. It's impact on my skydiving is incredible.
Definitely worth it.

-drew

I have a list of a few from New School....I'll email them to you asap. They're pricey (close to 3 grand...), but the camps include 20 coached dives and 1 hour of coached tunnel time with some badass flyers. I'd kill to go, but the $ would pose a bit of a problem. :S

Check out http://www.blincoe.org. I hope that helps!! :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have a list of a few from New School....I'll email them to you asap. They're pricey (close to 3 grand...), but the camps include 20 coached dives and 1 hour of coached tunnel time with some badass flyers. I'd kill to go, but the $ would pose a bit of a problem. :S

Uh... yeah. Keep dreaming. I would LOVE to go to a camp with those guys if I had a spare 3 grand. But, um, I think you know me better than that. :P

I also don't really need a listing of camps. I've done my homework and I know where I can afford to go. Just wondering how much the camps help and what skill level is appropriate for them. :)

If you're interest is in freeflying, the tunnel will take it to a new level. In the sky, we learn how to belly fly, sit fly, and head down. In the tunnel, we learn everything in between and how each piece works. It will make you a much more confident flyer and your skill will increase dramatically.

Matt

Hey Liz,

I did about an hour and a half of coached tunnel time while i was at Perris, no camps but one on one coaching was just as good.

I spent time in there with Fritz, Mike and Eli and all i can say is wow. I focused mostly on back and sitfly, docks, flips and transitions and it helped not only my flying but my general awareness of air flow IMMENSELY.

Perris operates their tunnel at slightly lower speeds than Orlando but the HD guys that i watched seemed to have no trouble. Plus the one way radio system that Alchemy are using in the tunnel and the sky is an unbelievable learning tool.

Hope that helps :)PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Who's been? Me B|
What was it like? AWESOME
Was it worth the money? YES
Who were the coaches? Chris Fiala
Did you learn a lot? Hell yeah B|
Would you do it again? In a heartbeat
Did you have fun? YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA
What was your skill level before/after? worse/better

Chris is an amazing coach, both in the air and in the tunnel, especially funny in the tunnel....you will have a blast!

B|

Sweet. That sounds awesome. Which tunnel did you go to?? I know the tunnel in Orlando only flies at 140 somethin. Is that really fast enough to productively work on HD skills?

I've only flown in Florida...
When you go into the tunnel, you'll start on your back and learn to fly the slower air... then you'll progress to sit... HD is after many hours in the tunnel... For instance, I can fly head down, sit, back and belly in freefall, no problem, and I just started, in my last half hour session to go from carving on my back, up to carving head down, which was not easy to grasp. It's not like you'll get in the tunnel and be on your head right away... there's a definite progression.
Learning to freefly in 120 mph winds is cool because you can freefly with tandems and belly groups... Learning to fly on your back is cool too... and running up and down the walls is the coolest of all!

If I was you, I would save up enough money to buy an hour, go to the tunnel in Florida (little cheaper than california) with someone else, split 2 hours, one on one day, and one on another, half hour each in 2 minute sessions. Hire one of the coaches I mentioned above, and learn to fly. If you go for 10 minutes, you'll want to go more, but if you split 2 one hour sessions, you'll feel fulfilled, notice the difference in your flying, and have accomplished a lot in the tunnel.
Don't forget to bring a video tape as they record the session for you.

I completely agree with Drew's advice on learning to freefly in the tunnel. You have to share time and spread it over a few days. All the coaches he mentioned are beyond awesome in more ways than flying and coaching. It takes time to build up the tunnel flying skills before the tunnel rats will let you fly on your head. A good coach will start you with the absolute basics and build on each new skill. If you already have lots of freefly jumps you will pick up stuff quickly and make allot of progress. The tunnel definitely teaches you to freefly at slower speeds. I have more time freeflying in the tunnel than I do in the air so that has actually been a little of a problem for me. I think its worth it though because you can make huge progress in your flying in just a short time. Its also great for working on docks and using a small area to fly. Whether you are doing belly flying or freeflying the tunnel is an amazing tool. I can't wait until they are all over the country. Maybe a surplus of tunnels will force the price down. :S As for weegegirl's original question about whether it is worth taking a freeflying camp or a 4-way I would say both. If you can't do both I would do the one that you think you will learn the most from. If your belly skills are poor it would be worth improving them. I personally like to be a well-rounded skydiver. There is nothing more kick ass than being able to walk on a dropzone and be a pick up on anything that is happening, even if it’s a 100-way hybrid. ;) That is one of the reasons why I started to learn how to freefly. :)

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

Yeah that looks pretty dope... I'm about sold!

Tell me. Will my whuffo-girlfriend kill me If I bait and switch a "romantic trip for two to Florida" for a 4 day tunnel camp here? lol.

Seriously though. Will she be bored out of her wits? Should this be a solo mission?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

The tunnel is in Orlando next to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure and not too far from Disney. She may be able to find something to do.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Seriously though. Will she be bored out of her wits? Should this be a solo mission?

I say you take her and throw her into the mixing bowl. I took my tandems only sisters to skyventure not long ago and they had a blast. I think they may want to do AFF now. You never know but she might just dig the tunnel and that could open her mind to skydiving. I would never push jumping on anyone but the tunnel seems to have enticed my sisters. But then again it might just run in the genes.

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com