WrongWay

Teams that don't compete

Hey, I know there are a lot of freefly teams out there that are good enough to compete in the open class (and place B|), but for some reason don't compete at all. (Flyboyz are one of these teams now, though they USED to compete)

I also know there are a few guys from teams like this on here. B| So my question is.....how come? :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

There are different reasons to be a "team". The word "team" doesn't necessarily mean compete. Although it was the original goal of Badfish to move into the world of competition, we now have a different agenda. Things for us came to a different light when we lost Tommy last year. Now we are more about just having fun and trying to pass on what we know to others. Our goal as a team is to try to give back, and to be a positive influence on others. Being a team just gives ud a platform on which to do that. You can read here-
http://www.badfishfreefly.com/aboutus/about_index.htm

Teams like the Flyboyz do the same type of thing but on a bigger level. They travel all over the world as a "team" and pass along what they know and are a tremendous positive influence on our sport. I have had the pleasure of flying with them at one of their events and it was a terrific experience! Read here-
http://www.badfishfreefly.com/gallery/fly_boyz_gallery_index.htm

Other teams do both. They compete and go from event to event doing organizing and coaching in an effort to help others. I became a fan of one such team by not only watching them compete, but also seeing how they interacted with others and inspired people. The team I refer to is the Sugar Gliderz. I also had the pleasure of flying with them for a weekend and it totally changed how I looked at teams all together. Read here-
http://www.badfishfreefly.com/gallery/gliderz_gallery_index.htm
More pictures here-
http://www.badfishfreefly.com/gallery/gliderz_2_gallery_index.htm

Some teams choose to compete hardcore. Some on a lesser level. Some teams don't compete at all. Some do both. I think the word "team" encompasses so much more than just the idea of competition and can be viewed in many different ways. For us, it is just a group of guys with a common goal. The second definition in the dictionary I have is:

Team - Two or more persons working together

And I guess that about sums it up. :)

Get inspired, make the commitment, set your goals, work very very hard and go compete! You will not be disapointed. You may even, if your lucky, find things out about yourself that you never even thought were possible. It's a fantastic journey and a great way to build skill and character.

Good Luck
Chris Hayes

I know some teams don't compete due to outside influences.

Actually going to nationals is a big comitment. It takes money and time. Some of the teams that are comprised of full time professional skydivers just can't afford the financial sacrifice.

Some of the teams that are comprised primarily of weekend jumpers can't find the time to make it happen.

I will say that the time and money I devoted to training and going was well worth it. I intend to beg, borrow or steal if I have to so I can do it again this year.

Methane Freefly - got stink?