weegegirl

Can we talk Daffy for a minute?

Hey there,

Did a few solos yesterday which is rare. Got kinda bored just sitting there on my head... worked on forward/backward movement and transitions. Decided to try daffy. Lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Can anyone give me any tips for switching to daffy? Things to work on, solo skills dives, etc.? I figure I should be able to fly both positions. I felt like it was difficult to keep the balance between my front and back leg... if that makes any sense. I felt very wobbly.

Thanks!!!
Liz

I reckon the best thing to do would be to get some video (once you feel a bit more comfortable w/ daffy). Its kinda hard to tell if you're putting even pressure on your legs without video or atleast a reference point. A lot of people will put uneven pressure on their legs causing them to backslide, or drive or whatever. Personally, I like daffy for when I am falling really slow, its easier for me to get more of my legs exposed.

Some things you can practice on your head next time you are doing solos: Get a pull-up cord and pass it behind your back, under a leg, above (or under?) your head.. just practice staying super stable while doing other things with your hands. It will help you later on when you're taking more docks and stuff.

Something I always liked to try and do on solos was to stick my hand out in front of me like I was taking a dock, and then practice doing transitions around it. Can you do a cartwheel only using one arm?

It probably won't be long till the daffy feels super stable and comfortable... I looooove daffy! Just feels right.

Anyways.. hope I could help a little bit.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Hey girl...interested to hear feedback on this as well but you did, exactly what it was suggested I do on my solos. Feel the air in every position and REALLY understand where it is hitting you and how to adjust it. Solos can get boring but then again, we gotta learn somehow. I'm all excited for Friday afternoon to go make some....Forward and Back - here I come.

Daffy, guess I need to try that to but someone told me don't try to fly actual positions but rather, let the air hit you in places and put pressure against it and FLY...................

I like the pull up cord suggestion and the hand in front is fun, even by yourself. Seriously, you'd be surprised at how relaxing it can be having an "imaginary friend" there in your face. I was cracking myself up, even making faces at my invisible partner B| - Have fun!

I'll be here watching and waiting for info. Sorry about the uselss chatter. Too much Diet Coke for lunch ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Thanks, Karen! Great tips! I like the pull-up cord idea. Someone told me once to try going out with a crunched up soda can and try passing it between hands and transitioning with it. I like the pull-up cord idea better because I would be less afraid if I lost it.

Video would be good!!! I'm really ready for a couple more coach dives. Last time I had a real profesional coach dive I couldn't even hold my hd for more than a few seconds. :P

Dee... once again, you totally rock chick! I can't wait to fly with you someday!!! :)

A lot of people will put uneven pressure on their legs causing them to backslide, or drive or whatever.

Exactly. In my experience this is very true. You need to make sure that you are applying equal pressure to both legs, this is crucial. It threw me off a lot when I learned.

Don't worry weegegirl, u'll get there!

- Bert

actually, what is a daffy?:D

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

The most important thing is to make sure your daffy does not screw up your hips. If you push your back leg too far back, your hip position will be awkward. This will create instability and stiffness that will cause the problems you described.

Keep your CORE symetrical, and you will be fine.

I recommend flying both right and left daffy so that you don't reduce the body position to an unconscious habit. Everything you do must remain within your conscious grasp, never descending to a fixed action pattern. That is how you remain free.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com