WrongWay

Head down cartwheels

Anybody have any tips or tricks to help with full head down cartwheels? I don't really have problems with any other full transitions (other than needing to clean them up a bit), but my cartwheels SUCK!!! :D

Every time I see one that is "clean" I notice that the center point on their hips is VERY clear on video, and it is very clear that it's that point they're rotating around. The question is this, do I throw my weight to the side and use momentum to bring me around and eventually get the feel for it to keep my fallrate constant and to not move anywhere, or is there some way to actually fly it? Any experienced hd'ers, help a guy out. ;)

Thanks!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Hey thanks bro.

BTW, I've watched your video you posted a while back a good bit, and the music is so damn catchy, it helps me fly. Like I was doing some ball jumps at eloy, and the whole time I was singing in my head "Theres another cry of murder...ububabubba, ububaba...." B| Helps ya relax!! ;) Thanks for the cool tunes!!

B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

The key to performing a nice cartwheel is your eye and head position. Keeping your eyes and head looking straight ahead, ideally at your partner, will be the first big step.

I will give you a step by step process that seems to help my students:

1) Settle down. Chill yourself out and fall motionless for a few seconds before you try anything.
Start in a "Frog" rather than a "Daffy". This is a symetrical body position, and is more suited to rolling on this axis.

2) Bring one arm in quickly, while tilting your body toward that side. The change is essentially a bend in your torso, and perhaps your head.

3) Drive your hip down toward the earth, while balling up to allow for the rotation.

4) Keep looking at your partner!! Never look away from them for any reason. You will follow your eyes.

5) Straighten in to a bit of a "pencil" at first when you get back to head-down. This will resiste the tendency to cork when you finish. Make sure the timing of this is spot-on. If you are early or late, you will cork and slide horizontally.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to jumping with you at SOBE or Tecumseh. Keep flying that Lotus!!
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

BTW, for the record, I'm the Wrong Way from Ohio. B| There's another from Michigan, I've met him before, really nice guy. It's just confusing cuz we're both named Jason and both named Wrong Way. B|

Still, I'll buy ya a beer sometime! B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Hi Bry.....met ya in Pahokee this past weekend (and saw a little more of ya then I planned to on Saturday night :P). Wish I could have snagged ya for a jump to see this in the air since I am also learning to fly on my head. It is coming along but always nice to have a "pro" in your face showing you first hand - maybe next time.

BTW, good canopy class also - perfect timing seeing as how I am demoing a new canopy (Sabre2-135 from 150) and loving the fact I can tug on a riser and actually have the canopy respond. :)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Very glad you had fun this weekend, I know I did (even when the DZO pantzed me).

If you get a chance, I'd love for you to demo a Lotus. It is remarkably similar to the Sabre II, but it has Airlocks as well. I didn't copy it, the Lotus came out first...

Nice meeting you!
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com