skyejumper

Freeflying in tunnel

but I hear the tunnel is harder.

Hmmmm good question. I am going out to the tunnel in January and I didn't think about that. If it is harder to do these maneuvers in the tunnel would that make it easier to do them in the air once you get back?

yeah, supposedly since you have to be so rock solid in the tunnel (or risk flying into a wall or another person), when you get back in the sky, your flying is much better. Plus the wind speed is lower in the tunnel (at least in our tunnel for now) that it's harder to sit up.

Keep in mind that back flying in the tunnel is very different than back flying the air. In the tunnel there is no rig which in the air is the first thing to hit the air. This has a huge effect on back flying.

Your best bet is to go to the tunnel and tell them that you want to freefly. They'll probably have you show them that you can fly on your belly and then they'll work with you on your back until they feel you are controlled enough. At that point they'll start working sit with you. The other option is to hire a freefly coach to do the same.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

The other option is to hire a freefly coach to do the same.

I am going out there for the Spaceland Anomaly - Insomnia Tunnel Camp. Its January 14-17th if I remember correctly, so we will have coaches present. I would like to be semi-good on my back so I don't slow the progress to much.

I don't know if there is a "usual" amount but I think I spent about 10 - 15 minutes on my back before trying sit flying in there. I had about 10 hours of tunnel time on my belly and about 300 freefly jumps at that point.

My teammate has spent about 25 minutes backflying in there and probably should do some more before starting to sit fly. She has about 12 hours on her belly and maybe 10 freefly jumps.

It all depends how comfortable you are in that orientation.

hey...i cant speak for everyone cause everyone learns at different ability...but when i had about 120 jumps...100 maybe sitflying (and i could hold a very stable sit, move around, dock and everythign in the air) I went to the tunnel and took 10 minutes. It was in the 3rd rotation or so that i finally was able to stay up in the air in a sit for atleast 5 seconds. alot of what i was doing was just standing on the bottom of the tunnel...getting into a sit fly position and then jumping off the bottom and trying to "fly slow".....it seemed to me that it was a lot harder then in the air. I have yet to make it back to the tunnel yet so I dunno.

when i was leaving i finally was able to sit for a few seconds then do some forward movement into a stand...then sit into some backward movement into a stand...and kept repeating. it was kinda fustrating!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

sit in the tunnel is a bit different. depending on the wind speed you will have to get more surface area on the side of your legs under your knees.

like was said previously they will probably want you to do a bit of belly in there before-hand also...
my power is beyond your understanding.

Most people wear different suits for freeflying in the tunnel than in the air. Tunnel freefly suits usually are either very baggy or made out of a material that causes a lot more drag (lets less of the air through it.) Both suits cause a lot more drag than a typical freefly suit and both have their advatages and disadvantages. Most of it is just about learning how to put more of your body into the wind and remain stable. I've done two way hybrids in the air with me freeflying and a belly flyer (usually with about 10 lbs on) in my tunnel freefly suit. It's hard but it works out and is great fun.

yeah what he said! B|
the suit I used in the tunnel (that they supplied) was huge...and they suggested I put the cuffs over my palm for extra surface. it seemed to help.
im curious to see what you can wear in the orlando tunnel with the new motors.
my power is beyond your understanding.

im curious to see what you can wear in the orlando tunnel with the new motors.

I usually wear a massively baggy suit (even bigger than the biggest suits the tunnel will provide) because I can focus more on what I am doing and less on how to stay up in the air and fly more relaxed. I have been freeflying in my regular freefly suit as well as my tight belly suit (with the booties off) and it works, it's just hard.

I spent 15 min. in the tunnel and was just starting to sit at the end. the first 2 min. where on my belly then about 5 on my back and then starting to sit. At the end i could get in the right position for a sit but had a lot of trouble moving around. Get a good coach! I was in there with Alaska Jon and he helped out a lot. It would have been much harder to just get in there and flale around

Just got back from the tunnel tonight and watched a couple people learning to freefly in there. One girl went to the tunnel for the first time wanting to freefly and had 10 minutes to fly. She did about 3 minutes on her belly, 3 - 4 minutes on her back and 2 - 3 minutes sitting. She did get to sit fly a bit towards the end of the session.

My teammate (who is much less experienced as a freeflyer than this other girl) has done many hours of belly flying in there, between 20 and 30 minutes on her back and started sitflying tonight in the tunnel. She has never held a sit stable for an entire skydive but was looking better sitflying in the tunnel tonight then the first girl.

I guess basically it comes down to how much time are do you want to spend on your basics. If you spend more time on your belly and your back you'll probably have an easier time learning to sit fly and will progress much faster than if you just try to sit fly as soon as you possibly can. Just my opinion from thinking about my own progression and watching other people.

Well I at this point can get to a sit and hold it but I am not sure how stable I am, forwards and back slide wise. During our camp I think we get 2 hours of tunnel time so I am guessing we will be able to get around to it. I cant wait to give it a shot!!

Freeflying in the tunnel IS a bit different than being on a skydive. In a skydive, you have no immediate reference of how you might be moving... think you're falling down the tube? Think again. The tunnel has walls that will let you know ASAP that you need to work on holding your position. The windspeed is also different, you are limited to a speed that the tunnel can create for you, BUT that is a good thing too. It overemphasizes using all your surface controls to accomplish hovering, turns, fall rate, etc. The only thing that is a skydive is a skydive, but the tunnel is a learning tool (and fun as hell!) that will quickly bring out any problems with your flying that need to be worked on. People from our last camp have made HUGE improvements in the air since the camp, and they've all said that they can directly correllate their tunnel time learning with their skydives. And there you have it...
Oh, hello again!

Freeflying in the tunnel IS a bit different than being on a skydive. In a skydive, you have no immediate reference of how you might be moving... think you're falling down the tube? Think again. The tunnel has walls that will let you know ASAP that you need to work on holding your position. The windspeed is also different, you are limited to a speed that the tunnel can create for you, BUT that is a good thing too. It overemphasizes using all your surface controls to accomplish hovering, turns, fall rate, etc. The only thing that is a skydive is a skydive, but the tunnel is a learning tool (and fun as hell!) that will quickly bring out any problems with your flying that need to be worked on. People from our last camp have made HUGE improvements in the air since the camp, and they've all said that they can directly correllate their tunnel time learning with their skydives. And there you have it...

WuRd!!!! See you in January!!

I was at the tunnel last month working on RW w/ a coach and the 'camp' also involved free-fly training w/ Juliana. From my observation it takes about 10minutes plus of tunnel time demonstrating stable back flying skills before they transition you over to sit flying.

Going to your back is the default 'stable' position if you are losing control of a stable sit. It is a lot harder in the tunnel. One of the students had a lot of FF experience and progressed quickly to working on transitions/ cartwheels/ HD backloops. He was doing quite well then suddenly stalled out a back loop about 4' off the net and almost instantly got planted into the opposite wall 12' up. :o

I was suprised he didn't have a broken nose.

It's a good idea to have a coach in the tunnel and expect it to take a bit of time. That plexiglass is hard.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Just got done 2 hours of freefly in the tunnel. My experience is super positive and I can't wait to get back in. Everyone progresses at their own rate, I saw some guys on their back for 5 minutes, some for considerabley more, they don't want you to move on to sitting before your ready. Backflying for me was alot of fun, its great to start to feel and learn to use the air on your back, and carving on your back is an introduction to HD carving. Mike Swanson was my coach, if you can work with him do it, excellent coach, and when your off the net and flying, you'll see how good a flyer. I can't say enough. You really gain an appreciation for all your body surfaces and how to feel and utilize them. Everyone on our group from 130 lbs to 220+ was able to fly off the net, some working harder than others, but hey we are all different:)

Was that your first time freeflying in the tunnel? You were looking good in there. Yeah, Mike is an awesome coach although he was just visiting here for that camp - he's really at Perris full time now. If you go to the tunnel there try to get coached by him. There's still plenty of outstanding coaches here though.