OzoneJunkie

Freefly Tip Of The Day (Wednesday)

Consider changing your audible altimeter setting.

My audible is set to 6000 feet. This doesn't mean that I break off at 6000 feet. Normally, if I'm doing a 2 or 3 way, it's around 5k for breakoff. However, occasionally it's 6k on big ways or long spots.

So, here's the advantages of setting a higher audible setting:

1. When the alarm goes off, I know that it's "almost time" to break off. That means, finish what you're doing, check your space first, and then break off. The positive here is that there should be no need for a panic break off, since the alarm is not signaling break off time. If you're set for 5k and 5k is your break off alt., then you may rush the break off.

2. You learn to build internal timing for 6k, not 5k. This works well because, if you miss your audible, you'll likely check your visual altimeter at or around 6k. If your timings a bit off, it may be lower, like 5k, which is still better then realizing you missed your audible at 4k.

3. This kind of goes along with #1 - you'll be more relaxed duriing break off time. If you're doing a 2way, and just finishing a move, you know you have a few seconds to finish what you're doing, then leave the scene. Instead of the start of your alarm indicating your break-off altitude, it's more the end of your alarm that does so. Alarm finishes, got another second or 2, then it's time to go.

4. Don't be a robot. Think about what you're doing. Don't just be reactionary to your alarm - there's an initial tendancy to break off as soon as your alarm goes off. I don't like this reflex-type action - so, better to be a thinking skydiver than a reactionary one.

I've used a 6k audible setting for years. It works well for me. For those who've used 5k for a long time, and decide to set their audible higher, be conscious of what you're doing - think about your breakoff while in the plane. Don't "set and forget" - think instead.

I am under the same concept... the thing I have found odd though is at spaceland people tend to break off a little higher that in the mid west... on 2 and 3 ways I am used to beaking off around 4.5k where here its like 5k... not that much of a difference, especially at feefly speeds, and I dont really mind the extra time just in case I need it.

-yoshi

This goes along with #4:

When the battery gets low (you get the warning tone after the 1K on ascend) and you don't replace the battery on the next jump, it can freak out and go off at any altitude. This happened while I was on a 2-way and the other jumper just "left" at 7500' (conditioned response for break off)...I was sitting there waiting for his dock and off he went :D! Luckily he realized his oops and we had good separation in the groups or he could have been under canopy still really high :o!

I let him borrow my second ditter for the remainder of the weekend (store was out of batteries).

Great tips OzoneJunkie (and Dave)...keep 'em coming!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

I am under the same concept... the thing I have found odd though is at spaceland people tend to break off a little higher that in the mid west... on 2 and 3 ways I am used to beaking off around 4.5k where here its like 5k... not that much of a difference, especially at feefly speeds, and I dont really mind the extra time just in case I need it.

-yoshi

My friends and I all jump velocities loaded at ~2.2, so opening high allows us to gauge what's going on traffic-wise, as well as allowing extra time to deal with line twists, etc. This is a bit more critical at our DZ, as the landing area is smaller than most. My group will often elect to go out last - we often pull at 4k or higher, and end up flying in brakes - again, giving us time to figure out what's up with traffic below.

Ball jumps is mandatorty 6k for the people who aren't ball masters. for others its 5k break off during ball jumps on the ones i am on. I am usually doing no more than 3-ways so normally 4.5k for me...

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

You break at 6000 feet :o.

Huh i have most jumps out of 9000 feet. so my altitudes are:

first (break) 4500 feet
second(opening) 3300 feet
third (my hard deck) 1700 feet

I just had to learn how to track well enough, to have enough separation in 1000 feets ;) and if position to tracking is changed correctly the high speed (FreeFly) can shoot you away for 300 feet in first second B|

2500 Feet for separation seems like a waste of working time for me :S Unless you break at 5k every time.
"George just lucky i guess!"