Canuck

8-way

Page 13 of November's Parachutist has a picture of an incredible vertical 8-way. It just might be the most impressive formation I've seen in freefly.

I think the road is being paved for sequential freefly competition...

Awesome!

Canuck

"It just might be the most impressive formation I've seen in freefly."

Somebody scan this for for us NAsB|

When I first started playing with freeflying, I was attracted to the 3 dimensional element of the flight. I am kinda disppointed that we are taking a more traditional approach to building formations, IE on one plane. I think the 3D dives, complex hybrids, etc are much more pleasing to the eye. I don't see why FF should follow belly flyers in formation engineering.
The flat headown bigways that I have seen still look awsome though!B| And still way beyond my skill level.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I am kinda disppointed that we are taking a more traditional approach to building formations, IE on one plane.

Hmmmm...........me thinks he has a point....... :S

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

First, it's so 5 years ago to do the whole belly flyer vs. freeflyer thing...Airspeed freeflys, Alchemy belly flys...enough said.

As far as taking a "traditional approach" and building formations, it's just evolution dude. Watch some what I would call traditional belly flying from way back, they certainly weren't flying block moves.

I love the freedom and artistry of freeflying, and I hope 3-way never goes away. That, however, is not to say that 4-way and 8-way sequential competitions would not also totally kick ass!!

Canuck

I don't think this is a belly vs. freefly issue. I believe what he's saying (and it IS what I'm saying) is that these big way freefly formations (not huge, but the 7-8 ways) would be amazing if they were put into a true 3D perspective. Think about it, instead of having 8 guys on their heads docked on each others hands, you could have 4 sitflyers in a round or campfire, with 4 headdowners coming in, two of them being above the formation, spocking opposite sitflyers from behind, while the other two come in and dock on the feet of the first two headdowners. That way you'd have an impressive fully 3D 8 way formation. That's what I'm trying to say.

Granted, these formations would be harder to accomplish, but skillful flyers, like the guys on the 24 way, could do it and make it beautiful.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Ummm, you really need to see the picture, cause it's a lot like what you are saying. I'll describe it as best I can.

There are two 3-way rounds (one head-down, one sit) just slightly vertically offset - their heads are all on level. Between these two rounds, and linking them together is a 3-way open accordian. So in total you have 4 head-down and 4 sit, heads all at the same level, half the bodies above and half the bodies below, and all gripped - it's very 3D.

The advantage in this over hybrids is in the potential for transitions. How many multi-point hybrids have you ever seen? As soon as you break the grips to go from one formation to the next, the bellies are gone. This way, everybody is working at the same speed.

Canuck

come on guys, there's sure someone out there with a scanner.... i'd really like to see this pic.... me very sad.... me not know how to live withous this pic..... me needs to stop now.... :$;)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

>How many multi-point hybrids have you ever seen? As soon as you break the grips to go from one formation to the next, the bellies are gone.

I've been on a few, basically the bellies break their grips while the hangers stay on and get drug around the sky while the belly flyers go to the next formation. The outside stingers then just come and pick up the new grips on the next formation. My favorite was building a 6 way belly zipper with 3 hangers and having all three zipper pieces turn a 180 seperetly and transform it from a Right hand Zipper to a Left hand zipper.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com