WrongWay

Lookie!! It's another head down thread!!

Hey everybody! I was just curious, anyone have any tips on flying with slower sitflyers on your head WITHOUT going daffy? I just learned to fly daffy with lots of coaching at SDC this weekend (and I got REALLY slow!! Thanks Bill!!) but as you know, daffy is much less manueverable, and that makes it kinda tough when you spend a lot of time chasing people. :P The only thing I can think to do is move my legs back and forth to distort air, and that works pretty well, but I don't know about anything else. Anyone have any tips?

This prolly wouldn't be an issue, but I see video of lots of people flying with sitflyers in a froggy position all the time, and I can't seem to do it, though when I fly with others on their head, I fly comfortably and when we check the pro-track it's like 150-155, pretty comfy. I can't figure out what's goin on!! :S

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I was having this same issue...how to slow down but not compromise ease of movement as much as possible. I was taught to do something called the "straddle-daffy". It's somewhere between the standard straddle/X-man position (whatever you want to call it...) and a daffy.

To get a feel for it, get in the daffy on the ground. Now spread your legs as far you can while trying to maintain the daffy position. In the air, present the outer-sides of your legs as the surface area to the relative wind (if you have stripes down the sides of your jump suit, just think about presenting that.)

You still have a lot movement in this position and you can adjust fall rate fairly easy with some practice. It's become my main comfort position I fly on my head.

froggy postion***
doin it froggy style
oh yeah my freefly nizzle

Yo yo yo my invert homie!! Friggity froo with tha froggy foo, southeast side O HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII O!!!

*bends his hands into extremely uncomfortable gang sign*

(Uhhhhh.....ow......) YEAH HOMIE!!!! B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

I believe you're just as if not more experienced than I am, so it feels kind of wierd to be saying this. But I'm not small (195-200 lbs naked) and while in Rantoul I got to do a jump or two with a seriously bad ass freeflier/tunnel coach and I asked him how I could slow down while on my head. You'd think he'd come up with some daffy or whatever explaination on how to fly your body. But you know what his answer was? Wear looser and baggy clothing. So I ran off to an outdoors store, and picked up a XXXL sweatshirt for $8. And wouldn't you know it, I've slowed down enough where I can go headdown with people I was never able to go headdown with before. Dress for success!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It's not a bad idea!! I'd just like to know one thing. I have my freefly suit that Ive had for like two years, and I LOVE it. I wonder, ya think a suit manufacturer could put something in there to make it a bit heavier, having the same effect as baggier clothing????

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

couldnt they slit up the seams and put a bit more fabric in it? I've heard that being done with suits that are too tight and dont fit right. Just a suggestion (tell me if it shouldnt be done, like I said I've only heard about it being done never had any direct experience).

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have my freefly suit that Ive had for like two years, and I LOVE it. I wonder, ya think a suit manufacturer could put something in there to make it a bit heavier, having the same effect as baggier clothing????

To quote a pretty bad-ass freeflyer, "It's not the weight, it's the flap."

You don't need heavier fabric, just more of it. I have a pair of super lightweight, really baggy FF pants that work great.

Keep your suit as-is unless you have a fallrate issue on most jumps. If you're just looking for tips when you jump with certain people - just change your clothes on those jumps. Or add a baggier shirt over your suit.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

While more fabric will slow you down, there's also a point where it will make you fall faster. Namely, when the amount of fabric prohibits you from "opening up". You want to be wide - present a lot of surface area. With very baggy clothing, you'll find it harder to do this.

Also, relaxing seems to be "slower" than fighting/pushing against the air to slow down.

when the amount of fabric prohibits you from "opening up"

For sure, there is a point of diminishing return.

Play with it - you'll never know 'til you try.

relaxing seems to be "slower" than fighting/pushing against the air

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

For some people, relaxing their bodies (not just their minds) 'closes them up'.

If you mean - When you think you're maxed - try to give a nice big exhale while opening up further - you're right on.

It's easy to get "locked" into position thinking that if you move at all you're going to speed up.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi