jackiechan

learning how to freefly

Hi all,

Am new to the world of skydiving with just under a hundred jumps, all flat flying. I am now interested in giving freeflying a go but am not sure how to go about doing it. The main problem is that I am based out here in Singapore where the closest dropzones are in Indonesia and Malaysia and there aren't any freeflyers or competent ones that I know of to show me the ropes.:(

Should I save up and go over to the US to get some quality coaching? I understand that with no prior freeflying experience, full on coaching can be overkill and prove to be rather costly.

Someone mentioned a book - The Art of vRW : the Way of Freefly. Should I get that and then try some stuff in the air before getting some coaching?

Any advice will be well appreciated. Cheers.

** When was the last time you did something for the first time? **

I didn't find the book that great, and the video was full of "you just have to feel it" stuff that does not exactly help.
I guess you should just get a basic idea of sit flying at first, try that, and then ask some more.
I am sure you already know how it should look like, so go out and try it, but remeber that you will probably be shooting all around the sky at first, so better not take anyone with you if there are no qualified people.
Have fun :)

I have the "Art of vRW" and it's good to watch, but there is very little freefly instruction. Brian Germain's "Vertical Journey" does a better job on the instructional side of things if that's what you're looking for. Of course nothing can substitute actual jump experience.

Freeflying is meant to be flown with others, and if people around you aren't freeflying, then it'll be hard to know what you're doing right and wrong. But get out there and try and nail your sit (first doing solos) before you ever think about going head down. If you do get to jump with others, keep the groups small at first (as in two-ways). We need to know where everyone is on the jump and unless you're on a jump with some skilled freefliers, people will be all over the place and that just makes things dicier.

Have fun and best of luck. Chances are that you'll do 'X' number of jumps that you'll totally flail on, but sooner or later you'll get it and the reward is worth the effort.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Thanks guys,

So it sounds like I should go up and give it a go myself then, trial and error style and hopefully pick up a few things the hard way.

What about some coaching then? When's a good time (experience wise, as in number of jumps/attempts) to get some proper instruction and what sort of a coaching programme should I be getting on?

Big thanks

I would say it's never too soon to get good coaching. The longer you fly by trial and error the easier it is to pick up bad flying habits. My suggestion is do some jumps flying on your back. That way when you get coaching you are already comfortable off your belly and you won't be so tempted to go back to your belly and cork. It is also really easy to get into your sit from your back. Stay safe.

-Kenny

Coaching, coaching, coaching... Get yourself some coaching, whether you get it from a professional or a mentor willing to take you under his wing at your local DZ these jumps are invaluable. If your lucky enough to find a mentor you trust and has the skills to teach you at home be sure to buy them plenty of refreshments not to mention their jumps;).
Heres some of the best sitflying educational material I've found...http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/aug00/headupflying.htm check out this article and the other two (2) articles that go with it. Very informative for your developing your freefly skills. http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/oct00/headupflying2.htm
http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/dec00/headup3.htm

Have fun and play safely!

edited to make clickies

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Yeah, will definitely get some coaching as soon as I can save up enough dosh. It's a shame there aren't any freeflyers in this part of the world whom I can learn from, at least, not any that I know of.

So in the meantime I'll probably do plenty of solos and learn how to sitfly and generally get used to not flying on my belly, as SanDiegoRW recommended. Thanks for the links to the articles, ChileRelleno, they've been really useful; learnt quite a bit from them.

But 78RATS just reminded me of something else - that of gear. My rig is freefly friendly but what to wear? My RW suit certainly isn't suitable and surfing skydiving websites for freefly suits/pants is proving to be a daunting experience, what with the numerous types of materials and multi-plys etc, for various types of flying and flyers. Any advice on that score?

From what I understand, I don't need a freefly suit at this stage, just a pair of freefly pants, but what should I be looking for in terms of materials etc? Any recommended makes?

Big thanks all.

From what I understand, I don't need a freefly suit at this stage, just a pair of freefly pants, but what should I be looking for in terms of materials etc? Any recommended makes?

From what I understand ;), you should first learn how to sit-fly well. For that, you'll be better off with some tight pants or shorts and a loose, tucked-in sweater. Actually, that's exactly how I started experimenting with sit-flying after reading those articles ChilleReleno suggested.

FF pants are (again, from what I understand) better for (learning) head-down flying; having more drag on your legs would probably just slow you down in learning the head-up positions.

There have been numerous discussions about the quality of different brands of ff suits- search the forums for this, but remember that it's the way you fly your body that makes the most difference, not what you wear. Although getting a baggier suit if you're a big guy/fast faller can help a bit, and vice versa.

I started with a pair of jeans. If they bother you and keep flying up, you can tie them around your ankles with rubber bands or something. Make sure your Shirt is long enough to tuck securely in the pants, so it doesn't slide out and cover your handles.
As a matter of fact, I am usually too lazy to change out my jeans to jump :$
Some people start with leggings which look a bit gay though :P.

The main problem is that I am based out here in Singapore where the closest dropzones are in Indonesia and Malaysia and there aren't any freeflyers or competent ones that I know of to show me the ropes.:(

Hey who says there are no Freeflyers in Singapore? We have a woman freefly team here in Singapore and a friend of mine and I also have a couple of hundred jumps on the head.

So if you want to get some introduction feel free to contact us under: www.skydiveasia.org

blues
Marcus

But if you want to do ball-jumps you better go to Australia :-)

I am now interested in giving freeflying a go but am not sure how to go about doing it. The main problem is that I am based out here in Singapore where the closest dropzones are in Indonesia and Malaysia and there aren't any freeflyers or competent ones that I know of to show me the ropes

Wow, it's time for you to hang out with a better crowd! I can't believe that your instructors keep you at such a level of misinformation, particularly if it's those who used to sell one of my freefly videos, 2-3 years ago (without my agreement).
The truth is that there are some freeflyers here. You can get decent coaching, with briefing, debriefing and video, at least for sitfly. You can also get strong ropes for head down (but you must have a proper sit first). Over the last 2-3 years we worked hard to create a freefly community here and we are 500% succesful (grosfion is not exagerating about the freefly chicks, we are invaded).
Don't stay any longer on the Dark Side of the Force. Join us and get some proper fun little Padawan. Say hi on our forum and meet us for our next beer meeting (we can even tell you how to get free flow, twice a month, in Singapore).
--
Come
Skydive Asia

Thanks Marcus and Come. This is fantastic news! Freeflyers in Singapore! Will check out your website and hook up with you guys for a beer or two soon. Will also get in touch with "Apoil". Thanks Clay.

Our friend "Apoil" left Singapore about 1 1/2 years ago, we miss him very much :-)...

He is in California at the moment and Come had the pleasure to do some jumps with him in Perris....
I had to stay in the office :S

so feel free to contact us and if you want to join us for jumping check the forum....

blues
Marcus