eWave

Student sit-flying pics

Hello! I skydive here in Finland @ Utti DZ, with 55 jumps and 3 jumps to C-licence.

I've done 5 or 6 sit-flying jumps and it's very hard for me to get my legs down. Any tips how I could do that easier? I know one... more training, but any other? :) sitflying_over_uttidz_2.jpg

sitflying.jpg

Your legs are pretty close together, do you notice any instability to your sides? You may want to try getting your legs apart some, atleast shoulder width. When you do that, think about pushing your feet down towards the earth. When you do that, you'll need to sit up more straight. This will put in in more of a square sit (90deg angles), which is what you want to accomplish. If you find you're corking out onto your back when you do this, get your arms back and up more. That's not a perfect position but it'll get you stable so you can start working on getting your arms back to how they should be.

It looks like you're on the right track, you just need to get a few jumps practicing. Once you get that start doing turns, then cartwheels and flips, then try putting an arm straight out. That'll take care of the next few months of jumping for you. :P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Your legs are pretty close together, do you notice any instability to your sides?"

I can have that position quite well. On altitude checks it feels little bit unstable.

Thank you for your tips, I will try that when I'm next sit-flying B|

What Dave said(legs wide =more stability).....plus you might also try wearing something less baggy on your legs like jeans(looks too cold for shorts) I found it much easier to learn how to sit in shorts and a longsleeve t shirt because you have less drag on your legs which makes it easier push down. Once you learn how to fly with less drag on your legs bust back out with your jumpsuit.

Heres a pic from last year note wide stance to keep me stable 90 degrees between torso and upper legs 90 degrees between upper legs and lower legs

I probably had 20 sit jumps at the time and had just stopped backsliding of course everyone is different but thats about what you want to look like when you start sitting

Cnv0001.jpg

http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/aug00/headupflying.htm
eWave, check out this article and the other two (2) articles that go with it. Very informative for your developing your freefly skills. http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/oct00/headupflying2.htm
http://www.zct.co.uk/skydivemag/pages/articles/dec00/headup3.htm

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Sit in a chair with your legs spread (same as in a sit). Now stand up using just your legs (ie don't grab hold of anything with your hands to help you balance). When your bum has just cleared the seat you will need 'strong legs' to balance. It is the same 'strong legs' that will keep you stable head up. (obviously symmetry is also important).

Hope this tip that was given to me a while back helps! (plus you can practice it anytime)

Will

You look great for the low sit jumps you have.

All of these posts here are valid and beneficial.

Just bear in mind your body will fly differently than someone elses. So, listen and learn, but mainly learn to fly your own body.

Once you learn this the rest will come easy. You have to work with the air, you cant fight it. Learn to work with it.

It took me close to 80 solos to work out my thing. I had no freeflyers to work with, it was trial and error. And alot of errors. However every error/jump taught me something about flying my body.

Practicing solo keeps us all safe. If I flailed I learned to quickly get control. That has helped me ever since then. Quickly getting control and not losing altitude will be important later.

Good luck and train as often as you can.

~AirAnn~

Great progress. It sure is visible that your sit flying is better than before. But you shouldn't lean so much forward, because you'll slide backwards (unless cameraman just caught you in that position). Keep your torso vertical and your spine straight.
And don't forget to have fun! :P

"George just lucky i guess!"

Here is a pic off my sit, I think it's already better than those earlier ones. Take a look and tell what you think.

Woa! I had to double check the date of your original post. October 14th... and this one only 7 days later?!!

Nice progress dude!
Keep it up :)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

One way I worked on getting into a nice straight sit, take a box or a crate or something and set it against a wall. Try to get something that allows you to sit on it and keep your knees at a 90 angle. then lean up against the wall and notice how your position is slightly arched. This is what causes you to slide backwards. Waht you want to do is keep your head level and your back up flat against the wall. Once you get adjusted to this position, you can try it on your own without the support under you butt and mold yourself into that shape. keep in mind though, the pressure on your legs when you practice will be different because you are actually holding your body up, but i found this is a good way to hold the 90 90 90 position and straighten out yoru back after you see if you were dearched or not
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!