kansasskydiver

Elbow problems and sit flying

For the last 2 weeks, after a sit fly, i'll land and take my gear off and start to let the rush get out of my body. at about that time, my left arm goes numb and i can't lift it really anymore. really bad pain in my elbow and forearm. has anyone ever had this happen to them or know of anything to prevent this from happening? is it bad body position maybe? i'm just starting to worry about the numbness happening in the air and not being able to flare, or pull my handles if i have to. please, anyone let me know if you have any idea
blue ones
chris "flash" armstrong
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

It could be the position that you're holding your arms in. If they're high and behind you, you could be stressing the nerves and/or joint. I knew a guy that had this problem in NY and he later had 2 shoulder dislocations in freefall. Definitely go get a doctor to check it out. They may just recommend strengthening your shoulder.
Oh, hello again!

Is your gear properly sized?

what is your arm position in your sit?

do you have other sport injuries that could relate to these symptoms e.g. rotator cuff

has anything unordinary happened in a dive that caused this problem

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I have had the exact same symptoms. 70% of my jumps are sits. I was diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear and I am saving money now to get the damn thing fixed! Good Luck!!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

no nothing out of the ordianary has happen on the dives, just all of a sudden this started. the only problem i have with my left elbow was from a motorcycle wreck and i dislocated my unler (sp) nerve in the lower part of the joint. but the pain i am getting is between my forearm and bicept. as fare as position in my sit, should i try bending my elbow a little instead of straight out behind me?
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I talked this over with my wife (the sitflyer in our hybrid dives -- she has a couple hundred sit dives), and we think the problem may indeed be that you have your arms too straight and too far behind you.

That position does seem to put way too much strain on one's arms. (It sure does mine if I try it.) She recommends you try sit flying with your elbows behind you and your arms bent at close to 90 degrees. That will put your hands roughly even with you body, take the strain off your arms and still give you plenty of control once you master that position.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I've had the exact same problem in one shoulder and arm. I was diagnosed as having a rotator cuff tear. I'm scheduled for an MRI this coming week.
The freefly suit I wear has large sit wings, I love it because it really gives me a fantastic speed range, but it takes a lot of strength to fly really slow. My doc thought the high pressure and unusual arm position in a sit may have caused the damage. I think I'm going to cut off the wings. Anyway, best of luck on the surgury and I wish you a quick recovery!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

The freefly suit I wear has large sit wings, I love it because it really gives me a fantastic speed range, but it takes a lot of strength to fly really slow. My doc thought the high pressure and unusual arm position in a sit may have caused the damage.

That can do it.

I mentioned in another post that I had been told by a former world level competitor that ultimately suits like this cause more problems then they're worth.

Cut the wings and here's to a speedy recovery.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I have similar problem in my left arm. But not because of sit flying but because i'm learning how to swoop (making a lot of front riser turns up in the air and one final near the ground). And this requires strength (at least with parachute i'm jumping with...). So maybe it's not sit flying all.
"George just lucky i guess!"