aliengirl

Did I buy the right canopy?

Perhaps they're getting blown back a lot..

Consider the idea of jumping with several tens of pounds of lead .. then reconsider.
It's just not practical.
Yes, in my (limited) experience lighter jumpers have a problem heavier jumpers do not have.
(Not to say heavier jumpers have no problems, or lighter jumpers have no other problems :)
Johan.
I am. I think.

I know people who have jumped with 30 lbs (albeit very experienced). I jumped with 16 lbs a few times when I was around 50 jumps for CRW.

Yeah, the amount of weight that it would take to make a difference would be pretty ridiculous.

Thanks
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Paraflite Turbo ZX 185 at 1:1 without weights, sometimes a Lightning 160. A Triathlon Hybrid 160 since around 100 jumps.

This is kind of off the subject but I would like everyone to know that Cambell's Creamy Potato soup sucks. There were about 10 pieces of potato and the rest is thick cream.

A related question to experienced folks. Would you say that with a new light jumper that it's better for them to have something big and then start wearing weight vs. downsize if that canopy is found to be too big? Perhaps they're getting blown back alot..

thx

As a smaller jumper I know that we tend to have to wear weights to be able to fall with their heavier counterparts. So most the time (hopefully) this is considered when getting the 1st canopy. On the other hand I've seen smaller girls jump their new smaller canopy a few times when they 1st get it without lead to get a feel for the responsiveness before adding in the additional speed. (experienced jumpers)

The biggest problem when it comes to the 1st canopy for smaller jumpers is the fact that they have been jumping VERY large mains on students status that are very sluggish and slow, so the instructor doesn't pay as much attention to their canopy control skills as they would to a heavier jumper jumping the same canopy. What ends up happening is the lighter jumper with poor canopy skills never learns the correct skills since the instructor isn't worried about them getting hurt. This is where the problems come in.

Now the smaller jumper is encouraged to downsize in huge jumps to get them to the same WL as the larger jumper, this is usually after they are off student status with no additional instruction, which is where they get into trouble because as a student they had poor canopy skills that were never corrected and now they are on a more responsive canopy than their heavier counterpart and can't land it because as a student they never really learned how. And the stereotype of "Women can't land" continues. [:/]

It hasn't been until recently that several DZs have addressed this issue and started having gear on hand that A) fits the jumper better and B) is responsive enough to learn how to fly a canopy. So now lighter jumps have the ability just like their heavier counterparts to downsize while still on student status under the watchful eyes of their instructor. Problems are now addressed during jump 10 rather than jump 100, and better light weight canopy pilots are created.
Fly it like you stole it!

Thanks, this was the kind of response I was looking for. Being a heavy(er) jumper I have less of a clue about what lighter new jumpers are looking at when choosing their new canopy. Yet, when selling my canopy I was asked by several light jumpers. I told them that my canopy is actually better for over a 1:1 loading because it takes so long to open, but advised them that they're making the right decision staying well under 1:1 at their weights and sent a link to PD seminars on the subject. I understand that the 1:1 ratio should not apply to smaller jumpers and that they commonly have to deal with weights. Was interested in hearing how that's approached.

Aliengirl, I think I would stick with a bigger parachute for a while. Having downsized 4 sizes while still learning the basics of canopy flight is a bad idea. Even if your wing loading under that little parachute is considered acceptable by most. The idea here is that you are still learning the elementary concepts here, and learning means that you will make mistakes. A bigger parachute will probably allow you to make those mistakes, where as a smaller parachute may or may not. LEARN TO GO FAST SLOW...

Just an idea I'd like to throw out 1.1 on a 190 is not like a 1.1 on a 120 because of the way canopys scale down. If I've understood everything I've read a 120 at 1.1 would be far more responive than 1.1 on a 190. This is where women take the hit flying 1.1 canopys IMHO.

blue skies

jerry

I am a low timer, but I will give my opinion.

AS you can see, many experienced people here have said to err on the side of caution, and I agree. The difference is this: As a student, I was jumping a 280 then a 220. Other people, (your size) were doing the same. They downsize quicker, because truthfully a 220 on someone who is 115 is dangerous. If there are gusty winds etc... you could end up going cross country.

However, and I think some people forget this a 1:1 wing loding under a 190 IS NOT equal to a 1:1 wingloading under a 120 The PD website will tell you the same.

You are a lot more likely to end up hurt at a 1:1 under a 120 than I am at a 1:1 under a 190.

Why the difference??? I don't quite know if I can explain the physics of it, but it is true. Listen to what the others tell you, listen to what the instructors tell you. Give it a lot of thought, and do what you think is right. No one here can tell you what to do, but my guess is that you are scared for a reason.

my $.02
Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Taken from the PD educational section:

____________________________________________-
Unfortunately, this isn’t going to be true. As canopy designer John LeBlanc explains in his
seminar on wing loading, different size canopies will not fly the same when flown at the same
wing loading, even if they are the exact same type of canopy. One reason is that both canopies
will be flying through the same air. Sue may be 30% lighter than Marco, and her canopy 30%
smaller, but the air molecules she flies through will not be 30% smaller or closer together.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty