Icemann

How to make my GoPro footages look professional?

I believe most of you have seen the "GoPro 3: As epic as the Hero 3+" (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U) commercial on YouTube. To me, that's the best advert they've made so far. However, my recordings look nothing remotely like that. I understand there're tons of editing and post-production works involved, but even though I tried different software for editing, they still look greyish, shaky, not as bright or saturated, and lack enough vibrancy. Would it be something wrong with my recording mode? Or I'm not using the right editing software?
Any pro-tips would be appreciated.:P

I would not wonder if their (go pros`s) advertising videos are actually taken by a real camera gear and are faked or at least highly post processed at the end of the day....

All the small camera videos, taken by other fellow jumpers, I have seen are nowhere near the quality they advertise with...

But now, flame on me... :-)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Icemann

I understand there're tons of editing and post-production works involved, but even though I tried different software for editing, they still look greyish, shaky, not as bright or saturated, and lack enough vibrancy. :P

Yes - and I'm not sure how they do it but considering the money that they could sink into putting out their key marketing video you might as well give up on making yours look as good as theirs.

Editing software like Premiere will allow you to colour correct but unless you're a professional it's going to be very crude at first and hard work getting it right.

It's going to be like you trying to bake a cake for the first time - and trying to copy a really elaborate one you've seen in a store.
Will it turn out as good?
At the end of the day as long as it's edible that's the main thing.

Pro tips:

Shoot 2.7K/60P so you have space to crop to 1080 for stabilization and can also slow it down
Slow it down even more with something like Twixtor
Use an ND filter to smoothen out the action
Enable Protune, grade your video manually or with a LUT
Lock your helmet & mount down tight so it doesn't vibrate
Use Premiere or FCP
Keep the sun to your back (don't shoot people back lit). Shooting into the sun is the worst for small sensor cameras.

That should give you plenty to Google.

I can't click the link at work, but I am guessing that they are using pro-tune, lots of post processing, and are also using a gimbal or a steady cam to reduce shake and give smooth pans and movement.

The OP isn't shooting skydiving footage, I don't even think he has a license yet.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Skydiving with a GoPro is surprisingly smooth. I've had no issues with shakiness even with crappy mounts. I've tried to ski with the same setup though and it looks like I am attached to a paint shaker, and that is what I thought was "smooth" skiing.

Also their advertising vids are undoubtedly extremely processed and they would use any mechanical or digital means of smoothing the image available. If you want to see what professional color correction can do, check this out .