Treejumps

Racer freebags

My girlfriend lost her racer freebag ( I know, who jumps a racer?, But it was an inexpensive 1st rig that fit well). I ordered a new freebag from Jump Shack, and the new bag is nothing like the old. Jumps Shack has decided to step back 20 years in parachuting technology and build free bags that utilize rubber band stows intead of a velcro pouch as well as rubber band locking stows (on brass gromets). Does anyone know of a source that may have an old style freebag in stock? It is an 11X size. Thanks,

Tree B|

You can ask Nancy at Jumpshack to make you the OLD STYLE freebag and they will do it, they have done it for me and 3 of my friends who jump Racers.
I had a cutaway on a Saturday, and by wednesday they had already made me a freebag and had it at my doorstep.

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

What I am saying is that this design was fairly typical.... 20 years ago. More importantly is that with bands and stows there is the possibility of a line bight going through another line bight, leading to baglock. The probability is low, but if it is possible, it will eventually happen. Tandem reserves use a similar stowing system, and I am aware of a tandem that was opened for repack that had this situation. It would have bag locked and two people would have died. The velcro pouch eliminates this possibility, and is used on virtually All other reserve systems. So once again we have an outdated manaufacturer (Velcro is better than tuck tabs, right?) straying from proven systems and saying that it is better. Some riggers are wisely refusing to pack reserves with this "new" design freebag because of the liablility.

Tree B|

The free bag's bridle is fairly long, so the pilot chute will never be in the free bag's burble, which means that the pilot chute can exert a lot of pull easily breaking a mil-spec rubber band in the event of a locked line stow, IMHO.

Many years ago, I was riding in a van with several skydivers who were making a beer run. One curious soul decided that he wanted to see how much pull his hand deploy piloy chute would exert while traveling at roughly 55-mph. To make sure that he wouldn't lose his grip on the bridle he wrapped it around his wrist several turns leaving about three feet of bridle line available for the pilot chute. With the apex mounted handle in his hand he stuck his arm out the window into the airstream and let go of the handle. Almost instantly, the pilot chute inflated yanking his arm rearward dislocating his shoulder! I heard his arm slap against the side of the van before he cried out in pain, and the driver quickly applied the brakes.

The spring loaded pilot chute used in the reserve system applies more pull than your typical hand deploy pilot chute.