GringoFX

Buying a Camera Helmet

Hello everyone,

I'm new to skydiving and I'm going to buy my first helmet.
I consider a full-face one as I wear glasses and don't want to mess with goggles.

Everyone on my dropzone recommended me a Cookie G3, but I'm looking forward to shooting video when I get more experienced and it would be nice to use the same helmet for this purpose.

So, here are my newbie questions:

1. Is it possible to mount a camera onto a G3?
2. Does this mount work only with a Bonehead REvolve:
http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/604--Bonehead%20Composites%20-%20Skydiving%20Helmet%20Contour%20Mount.html ?
3. What other helmets within 300-400 euro would you recommend for a small camera?
4. Why all the dedicated camera helmets are open-face?
55 seconds of the real life

Got an answer from our local reseller:

yes, it is possible to install camera onto G3. You can install it with
Contour HD Mount:
http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/Accessories/93/index.htm

The questions 3 and 4 are still open.

I believe, typical camera helmets are open-face because movable visor makes it harder to install a camera, am I right?

Generally most camera helmets are open face due to the ability to mount a camera on them without the visor issue and because on most full faces its quite hard to install a fully functional cutaway feature.

There are three current full faces that sell additional parts to fit a camera - Skysystems sidewinder (albeit a little out of date now), G3, and there is now a Bonehead version called REvolve, although depending on where you live/jump and the CCI these still may not be a viable option.

The G3 I like the look of and the REvolve is a bit uglier but definately presents a possible option for those wanting to still jump full faces. Both side mount the Contour but side mounted cameras present a higher risk of snagging and riser strikes (and therefore higher risk of losing your camera!).

The options for open face camera helmets is endless though...I was looking to adapt my Z1 to accept a contour but after looking into it, I think i'm going to give in to jumping an open face (with a cutaway system) when I want to use my camera so I can top mount it using the square1 horizontal mount.
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Thank you for the answers!

REvolve is nice indeed with its option, but for some strange reason it's way more expensive in Germany, so it's easier to get another helmet if I want to jump open-face :)

So, I'm going with the crowd and buying a G3.

Any comments and advice are still appreciated.

that is an utterly fucking ridiculous waste of money

He wants a G3 w/a camera. Datz a G3 w/a camera... Didn't say you had to buy it.

yeah word I hear you man...its steep being in the sport needing/wanting to buy new gear....its a waste to me but to each their own somebody has to buy the new stuff so I get it a year later!

Anyone on here fly either the G3 or REvolve with a camera?

I absolutely HATE open face helmets so I am only looking for full face. Money for me is not an option. Right now I have my contour attached to my Oxygen A3, but the wind causes the helmet to move. This of course makes the video shaky.

I'm just wondering if either of these two helmets are better in that regard. Or is there a better full face helmet you would suggest. It would be so nice if someone made a dedicated full face camera helmet which you could add site rings, etc to.

Anyone on here fly either the G3 or REvolve with a camera?

I absolutely HATE open face helmets so I am only looking for full face. Money for me is not an option. Right now I have my contour attached to my Oxygen A3, but the wind causes the helmet to move. This of course makes the video shaky.

I'm just wondering if either of these two helmets are better in that regard. Or is there a better full face helmet you would suggest. It would be so nice if someone made a dedicated full face camera helmet which you could add site rings, etc to.

I have friends flying BOTH, both have the option of a dedicated contour side mount.
Although i have heard complaints about the Revolve, not being great when flying head down. The G3 has no such complaints to my knowledge.

At the end of the day the thing that matters most, how does it FIT YOU, demo a few and try to find the best fit for you.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i wear a bonehead mamba helmet with top mounted contours, using the hypoxic mount. the attached pics show the visor open and closed, and although it doesn't open completely, it is far enough that it's mostly out of my view. the visor doesn not show up in the video. the pics show one contour mounted, but i am adding a second for stills.

as far as the helmet goes, i like the full frame on the lens, the release mechanism is solid and the lens is easy to replace. it was also the first one i found that comfortably fit my fat head. B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

At the end of the day the thing that matters most, how does it FIT YOU, demo a few and try to find the best fit for you.

I will if I can. What I don't know is if I can demo them with the camera mount - because that is what matters to me. My A3 fits just fine, but when you put the camera on that is when I notice an issue.

I was hoping that someone would say either they have had issues with a certain one or not. Like you did about head down - which isn't an issue for me since I don't FF.