b-rid

T2i wide angle lens

Ive got a Sigma 10-20... thing is heavy as all hell, not terribly fast, but it takes some pretty damn pictures!

(Usually have it set between 12-15mm)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I find the kit lens too long for close-in flying. I had and liked the Canon 15mm and it was fine, but when mine went South recently, I bought a Tamron 10-24mm, and so far I LOVE it! It doesn't have the annoying fish-eye effect, it allows me to fly very close when set wide, yet it allows me to zoom in for landing shots or ground and plane portraits. It is a little longer than the 15mm, but it is still light, and it allows for a front UV/Skylight filter for protection (the Canon and Sigma 15mm lenses don't allow for this). The only thing I don't know yet is how it will hold up over time (I have never owned a Tamron lens before). But did I mention I love it so far?

I don't do tandems, but i loaned my Canon 15mm 2.8 to a few friends that are and it's worked great.

Kit lens would be the lighter, cheaper option as billvon mentioned. About a $700 price difference and the 15mm is only 3mm wider (but much sharper)

I've had the Canon EF-S 10-22mm for about a year and I love it. It's got a B+W filter on it for protection. It's a fairly long lens though, so that can be a factor depending on your helmet setup.

We recently had a charity event for wounded soldiers, so you can see some of the photos I've taken with the lens:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.147574731993010.38863.100002214539052&l=90b88af907&type=1

The other photos in the gallery were taken with a Canon 50mm 1.4.

-snips some text- the 15mm is only 3mm wider (but much sharper)

those 3 mm mean a lot in terms of view-angle on 15 mm :) ( 18mm is a focal length 20% longer than 15mm )

I personally use the Sigma 15 mm 2.8 fisheye on my 350D. For either FS4 and tandem.

I have jumped the canon EF-s 18-55 IS but it had a hard time auto-focusing with terminal velocity when i tried to shoot downward. for Tandems this is less of an issue. ( these things somehow aren't designed to be able to extend against 200km/h headwinds :) )

The kit lens is probably the lightest option you have in this focal range. ( <20mm)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

For sharpest resolution and fastest autofocus for APS-C body I would recommend a quality zoom WA with a good focus motor starting from 10mm->

Examples:

Canon 10-22mm
Tamron 10-24mm
Tokina 10-17mm or 11-16mm
Canon 8-15mm

My experience is that Sigma autofocus isnt the best and there are some quality control issues with the brand also, so I wouldnt recommend sigma.