Namowal

Preflight parachutte check: visual reference?

Just curious...
Is there any reliable online reference that shows each step of the preflight check (Check the reserve pin, make sure reserve pin loop isn't worn more than ten percent, reserve ripcord cables movement in housing etc..?) Even better would be some counterexample images to show what trouble looks like (for example "this pilot chute bridle routing is incorrect because...").

I've seen the check live many times, but some extra reference would be cool (assuming it's reliable!).
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

One place to look might be old Parachutist safety & training columns. There's not a step-by-step guide, but there are lots of "what not to do" photos embedded in the columns.

http://parachutistonline.com/safety_training

A fun Safety Day activity is to rig up a couple rigs with several problems that a standard gear check should uncover and see how many Safety Day attendees can find all of the problems.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi, Jennifer.

I don't know the origin of this list and it doesn't have photos but it does describe what your gear check should involve.

Hope it's helpful.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

make sure reserve pin loop isn't worn more than ten percent,

Are you sure that you are not talking about the main loop? I don't think that any wear on the reserve loop is acceptable.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Keep in mind that each rig is slightly different in the location and assembly of the components. Flaps, pins, bridle routing, RSL arrangements, etc, could all be different from rig to rig, so any online reference would only apply to thay rig. Even then, the same brand of rig can be assembled with different configurations, so the gear check needs to be specific to the rig you are inspecting.

The best thing for you to do as a new jumper is to get a step-by-step lesson on each new-to-you rig you're going to jump. While you're a student, your instructor can provide that service. Once you buy your own rig, sit down with the rigger who inspects and assembles your rig, and have them go over the entire assembly, and walk you through a gear check.

The best thing for you to do as a new jumper is to get a step-by-step lesson on each new-to-you rig you're going to jump. While you're a student, your instructor can provide that service. Once you buy your own rig, sit down with the rigger who inspects and assembles your rig, and have them go over the entire assembly, and walk you through a gear check.

This is the ONLY way to do it.
All else fails in some major or minor way that could be problematic at crunch time.

Thanks, Dave.
You are a wealth of info and common sense.
:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

http://skydiveschool.org

The online skydiving course by the USPA is fairly good.

No offense, Nigel but personally, I wouldn't bother with that as yet. It's a work-in-progress, it's very high-level and not all of its functionality is in place as yet.

Can't get better than individual, hands-on instruction from a good rigger, instructor or knowledgeable jumper.

If you have a video camera (or a video recording option on your phone?), why not record one of your instructors as they take you through a check of your rig before you put it on, and then the gear check they give you while it's on? That way, it will be specific to the rigs you'll be using until you complete your A license requirements.

edit: *disclaimer* I know nothing myself. Just a suggestion from another student. Definitely ask your instructor if that would be a good idea...

http://skydiveschool.org

The online skydiving course by the USPA is fairly good.

No offense, Nigel but personally, I wouldn't bother with that as yet. It's a work-in-progress, it's very high-level and not all of its functionality is in place as yet.

Can't get better than individual, hands-on instruction from a good rigger, instructor or knowledgeable jumper.

Too true.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Are you sure that you are not talking about the main loop? I don't think that any wear on the reserve loop is acceptable.

Section 4 Category C of the SIM says:

(2) reserve closing loop worn no more than ten percent
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Many riggers change the closing loop at every repack, but some don't. It never hurts to ask a rigger what they think about the condition of the loop. Sometimes they end up looking a little worn but still be perfectly fine.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Great advice given by all above. I would only add that what ever you decide to use as your preflight inspection routine, do it exactly the same way and in the same order every single time. This really makes it a habit and reduces the chance of skipping an important step.
www.wci.nyc

I would only add that what ever you decide to use as your preflight inspection routine, do it exactly the same way and in the same order every single time. This really makes it a habit and reduces the chance of skipping an important step.

Good point. In many areas of aviation, a checklist and a 'flow' are used to help avoid missed items.

A checklist is a no-brainer, it's a written list of what needs to be checked, and you run down the list each time.

A 'flow' is more of a concept, and it's what you would use to set the order of a checklist. The idea is to have a logical order in which things are checked, and it's determined by the location of components. What you do is come up with a 'flow' of action around the rig where you start with one item, and then check the next closest item, and so on. It helps to build the routine, and makes it 'logical' to move around the rig and make sure everything is checked.

I use the idea for my gear checks, both on the ground and in the plane. For example, in the plane (while wearing the rig) here's my 'flow' -

- I start with a pin check (I can check my own main pin, not everyone can. It's more than just being able to reach your own pin, it's knowing the rig well enough to be able to check the pin accurately without disturbing anything back there. A huge contributor to this is a consistant pack job where you bridle routing and pin placement is exactly the same every time). If you cannot check you own pin, ask another jumper, and start your 'flow' with the next step.

- Check the hackey

- Next I slide both of my hands from the bottom corners of the container along the lateral to the hip junction. This verifies that you didn't have a legstrap 'flip through' when you donned the rig. It would show itself in a twisted lateral. It's not a real 'problem' unless you jump an legstrap mounted PC.

-From the hip junction, I slide my hands up the harness, and check the handles.

-From the handles I slide across the chest strap checking that it's properly routed and not twisted.

- You can add a visual check of the three rings, but that's tough to do with the rig on, and with the three rings so close to your face, I think you would notice if something happened that could 'foul' the three rings. If they were good on the ground, they're probably good in the plane.

You can see that the check starts at the back/bottom of the rig, and 'flows' toward the front and up the rig. It covers everything in between, and invovles touching everything along the way.

Many years ago this was referred to as the "Jumpmaster Check". I was taught: "Hands on", "Top to Bottom", "Front to Rear".
I would like to add a specific.
Check the 3-ring release cable for proper lubrication.
Only the long one really need to be checked. Roll the left riser over to access the cable stowage channel on the back of the riser. Remove the cable from the channel and, by pulling the cable between your fingers from the loop to the end, determine that it is "Slick". If your fingers "Squeak and vibrate" like it would on clean hair after a shampoo go back and "Lubricate your cable". If it is OK return the cable to its happy place and go on.
If it is not lubricated you won't be able to cutaway.
I know this because I have had a 3-ring failure due to no lubrication.

I missed the fact that my right hand main lift web was twisted 360 degrees once, so did the jumper who I asked to check me over. Someone else spotted it prior to boarding. I am not 100% certain that I would have been to cutaway.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

A few months ago a girl walked passed me with her weightbelt routed outside her cutaway and reserve handles as she was walking to the plane.

And I could not see what was wrong first, but I keept thinking of what I saw, and when she had walked 10-15 feet and I still had not figured out what I saw that made me get this feeling something was wrong I called on her and when she turned around I saw the problem.

She was in a rush and had forgot her weightbelt, and realised when she was all geared up.
She arched to get the belt behind her back and then buckeld it up at the front as she had done several times before.
But this time the rig got underneath :S

I missed the fact that my right hand main lift web was twisted 360 degrees once, so did the jumper who I asked to check me over. Someone else spotted it prior to boarding. I am not 100% certain that I would have been to cutaway.

Oh, hell. Please tell me that "other jumper" was not me.
:o

No, it would not have necessitated a breakaway.
It might have been fun trying to find the handle if did have to, though. And it might have been fun dealing with nutsack pain on opening but hey! WTH?

Many riggers change the closing loop at every repack, but some don't. .....Sometimes they end up looking a little worn but still be perfectly fine.

I know it happens and I know it bugs the living crap out of me that somebody is so damned cheap as to not put a new one in at re-pack. F'n bozos.

Many riggers change the closing loop at every repack, but some don't. .....Sometimes they end up looking a little worn but still be perfectly fine.

I know it happens and I know it bugs the living crap out of me that somebody is so damned cheap as to not put a new one in at re-pack. F'n bozos.

Well, a 50 meter spool of it costs $25, so that's what, 50¢ per meter, and even the long closing loops (racers not included in this) on most sport rigs only require what, less than a foot? That's 17¢ per closing loop!! :o:o:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That's 17¢ per closing loop!! :o:o:S

And the rigger's time is worthless?
Sounds like unscheduled Maintenance, not I & R to me.

There's no need to replace closing loops all the time. (You don't on a Racer / Reflex / Teardrop?) On a decent rig, they can easily last for a couple years of pack jobs. Some pin cover flaps chew them up, or rough grommets, or especially very tight rigs where it is tough to avoid abrading them during the packing process (but wear can be minimized with care).

If the loop is significantly worn, it gets replaced.

But there are different conventions in different areas.

Oh, hell. Please tell me that "other jumper" was not me.
:o

No, it would not have necessitated a breakaway.
It might have been fun trying to find the handle if did have to, though. And it might have been fun dealing with nutsack pain on opening but hey! WTH?

No Andy not you who missed it - it was someone else on the 4 way with me. Nicole caught it. I didn't mean that it would have required a cutaway but rather with the cutaway cable being twisted through 360 degrees, we couldn't figure if it would have been physically possible to cutaway. My legstrap was fine, and so was my chest-strap as it was a full rotation.