JSE

Good Deal?

I know there a lot of post like this so sorry. I am a new skydiver with only about 30 jumps. I am looking into buy a rig because at my home DZ the rental equipment is really not that great and I hate paying an extra 20 bucks per jump. Plus it’s not safe for any type of freeflying and I would like to try it out. I found a guy on the internet selling a javelin contain, sabre 150, cypress, pd143 reserve and a bunch of extras: 2 altimeters, an audible, two helmets, two jumpsuits, gear bag etc. All with < 100 jumps for $2500. Is this a good deal? It seems to be, but I don’t really know that much about the pricing. Also I have heard some not so great things about the sabre 1. Will I be sorry if I get a sabre. All the rigs with specters or sabre2s seem much more expensive.
Unfortunately up until this point all I have been able to jump is the rental/student gear that are mostly old pd190s. Since I weigh just over 130 lbs I have been looking at mains that are 150. Does this seem reasonable? One of my AFF instructors (who is also the S&TA) thought it seemed fine when I asked him a while back. Also is there anything I should know about buying a used rig. I have already talked to the local rigger about getting it inspected.

-Jeff

just research the hell out of it. Find the prices for new canopies, containers, etc. Then compare it to how much use it has had and subtract what you think its worth (if that makes sense:S). You have to figure out how much you want to spend. Research long enough and you will find what is a good price and what is a bad price.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Have you seen pictures of the rig? Does it look like it's in good condition? I bought a Jav, Sabre 170, PD Reserve, Cypress all with under 200 jumps for 3000 off of a clasified here on DZ.Com and am very satisfied with my purchse.

I jump a Sabre and it's a great canopy.

.:skip

that sounds like a pretty good deal to me... that is, if the cypres isn't old, and it doesn't need maintance/batteries. Just the rig for $2500 would be a fair price, so I think with the extras, you should probably grab it.

The sabre 150 sounds ok, with a wingloading of 1:1, but I've never seen you land. I'm also not an instructor, so I'll leave it to the canopy nazis to decide if this is a good wingloading or not. Ask your instructors to watch you land on your next few jumps, and let them decide if you are ready for a smaller canopy.

A sabre 1 is fine... you just have to be a little more careful in packing it, to make sure it opens softly.

MB 3528, RB 1182

At first it seems like a good deal- but just be carefull about buying gear online. Unlike Buying other merchandise or sporing equipment online, buy skydive equipment can be much more complicated. Personally, i wouldn't buy anything that my rigger has personally inspected and that i haven't test jumped. You run the risk of paying however much for it and then getting a lemon.

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

The only way to make sure you dont get screwed is to pay with escrow-you pay a holding company, they tell him they have the money, he shippes the rig, once it arrives you have several days to inspect the rig......then decide if its what you thought you were getting.....if you like it, you call the holding company they release the funds and he gets his money, if you dont like it, or its not what you thought, you send it back, the escrow service charges a small fee ( very reasonable ) and shipping costs apply of course...... do some research on it, and be carefull about anything you havent seen before
Its "buyer beware" out there.
good luck;
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

but just be carefull about buying gear online.

I'll second that opinion, but I'll also tell you that I've bought 2 different mains, a reserve, 2 different jumpsuits, 2 different altimeters, and a gear bag online, and have had no problems so far...

Shopping online is a great way to hook up with some quality used gear that you would never be exposed to otherwise, and I highly recommend it... most skydivers are good people, and won't rip you off!

are mostly old pd190s. Since I weigh just over 130 lbs I have been looking at mains that are 150. Does this seem reasonable?

I wouldn't recommend going straight from a PD190 to a 150 Sabre though! That's a 27% percent smaller, higher peformance canopy, and would be a big change to make all at once... take your time downsizing... just remember... there are old jumpers, and there are bold jumpers, but there are no old, bold jumpers.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Yeah i've bought a lot of stuff on the internet, the latest was a KILLER deal on a base setup that I needed for bridge day.. i got a canopy with 2 jumps and a rig with 0 jumps with a bunch of extras for 900 bucks... found it on dz.com actually.

Payed for it via paypal and had it 3 days after I bought it.. so it is possible to find great deals and it be as described...

I didn't do the whole "send it to my rigger and let him look at it" jobby as it had 0 jumps on it.. but that is a pretty common practice when getting used gear that you haven't seen...