customguy79

fisheye for rebel xs

What kind of fisheye are you looking for? A sigma or canon 15mm f/2.8 are both fisheyes and great jumping lenses but do not have the full fishy effect on a aps-c camera like yours. Sigma has a 10mm that is a fullframe fisheye, and a 8 mm that is circular fisheye.
Real cheap option are the Zenitar/Peleng or Samyang lenses but those are manual focus.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

As Dragon says, you've got the 15mm, 10mm and 8mm lenses.

as for Fisheye, you may get the super circular fisheye with a 8/10mm lens. the 15 you'll get a "normal" field of view as what you see with your own eyes.

There's also the Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 10-20 and I bet Tamron or Tokina has something similar.

First I'd recommend you prime(fixed focal length) because they tend to perform better then zoom(almost entirely correct). 15mm is my choice, and there fore I recommend 15mm. And you're not that likely to change the focal length anyway.

I started with the Rebel kit lens, then a sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, then the Sigma 15mm f2.8 and finally Canon 15mm f2.8. I've also used my 28-80mm on my 40D for different situations.

The other benefit with a 15mm is that you get f2.8 which under poor light condition will allow much more light inn then a f4. I've rarely had that issue since I've not jumped in that poor light that I had to relay on f2.8. but when you go lower on the apperature, then your depth of field(DOF=distance where you'll have the motive in focus) gets narrower and you relay more on the autofocus. I found that the sigma 15mm f2.8 AF was not as fast as I hoped, causing me to loose exitshots on tandems. I therefore this spring upgraded to the Canon EF 15mm f2.8, which has a far superior AF, IMO.

as for DOF, check this one out:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I'm curious why you actually want a fisheye.

Sure, there's some neat artistic effects that can be done with them, but as a lens being used to take skydiving pictures, I personally wouldn't get much use for one.

On the Sigma 15MM, I find I crop most before printing to get rid of worst of the distortion.

If you're just getting into photography, I'd try to avoid fisheye. The Sigma 15mm is a great lens, but the distortion is a pain, not a feature.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Sigma 15mm is ment for a fullframe camera.

If you want fisheye for the APS-C, look for some 8mm 10mm primes or the Tokina 10-17mm zoom.

If you are unsure of what you want exactly but you want a fisheye, I recommend the Tokina 10-17

forgot to add..if you have a photo store nearby, stop by and bring your XS and try the different lenses out. You might even manage to rent them for a day. Take some pic's and see what you think..
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Since I know you're wanting to match your Opteka .3, the Canon or Sigma 15 is ideal. For inside freeflying, it's pretty good, IMO. The Peleng is extreme, but a very cool lens for an effect. I think it's a "one shot" lens, where the style can become overbearing after a while, because half the cool factor lies in the extreme wide as much as in the shot composition itself.