parachutesj

Is this safe?

Hi there!
I've just got my Rig back from my rigger. As i started to pack it, I noticed a loop as seen on the pictures on my center cell.
The thread is not broken, it is just pulled out a bit. If I try to stretch it, it will go back in its original position.
I will see a rigger asap but we don't have a permanent at the dropzone...so i might risk a couple jumps with it.
What do you riggers out there think?

BTW, It is a Sabre2 with a bit more than 100 jumps on it

Thanks
Steffen

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

i'm not a master riger, but i think you can easily stretch it, to go back to original position. so it won't tear/wear.
And i think you shouldn't worry a bit about it. And i think that you don't need a rigger for such a tiny problem :)
"George just lucky i guess!"

:). A simple sew job should ensure no further trouble. Try taking the material above and below the loop and pulling on the material along the seam. If it's a snag it should pull back in a little, if it's a broken thread the sown repair will take the load. No biggie.:)
Blues and good catch,

J.E.
James 4:8

You can take a seam ripper or other tool and re-distubute the thread a bit. You can see how it is bunched up on the right side of the pictures. Slowly and carefully, moving from the loop take the slack towards the bunched up section. Or just have your rigger do it. It most likely won't hurt anything to jump it as-is for a few jumps.

Hook

I've had a pull like this on my Sabre for several years.;) Every time I remembered it I wasn't in a position to do anything about it. Of course riggers gear gets worked on last. The thread can be worked back in and it'll be fine. Broken threads should be resewn.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

That happened on a canopy of mine. The several riggers who looked at it said it was no big deal and that it probably snagged on something and could go back to normal after a few openings but if none of the stitches are broken then it won't get worst.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Steffen,
As a Master Rigger, I have experienced and fixed that same problem numerous times. If you're uncomfortable doing it, take it to a rigger. But as Hooknswoop said, just work the slack back to where the pull (tension / bunched up fabric is) is and examine it on the inside as well.

If your really uncomfortable, send it to me with return postage and you can buy me beer when we meet (whenever that will be). In other words, it's a no cost / low cost thing to correct.

Tim
Maggot :ph34r:

I respect your role as a moderator and will shelve further smart-ass-ness (or make every effort to)... :$

That being said.... you gotta be friggin kidding me!:S

If he had been offered no advice my initial post would have been exactly the same as whoever recommended careful use of a seam ripper to re-work the stitch line.... however, he got plenty of useful advice, so I threw a self-deprecating bit of humor out there...

but I shall respect your wishes....

That being said.... you gotta be friggin kidding me!

Nope, he's not kidding.

The smart ass type remarks (also known as one liners) are fine in TalkBack - that's what it's there for. In the topical forums one liners merely add noise - thus reducing the value of the forums and in some cases driving away forum users.

It's on the top skin as well, which isn't a high load area. On my PD170 currently I have about a 1 inch gap where the thread pulled out altogether. Exactly the same place as yours so I'm not too worried (unless it gets bigger. Then I'll worry!)