Laszloimage

Panasonic FP8 for skydiving

Hi everybody,
Finally, here’s a new poin&shoot camera (after the discontinued Kodak ones) which can be used for skydiving after a little tweaking. The model is the PANASONIC LUMIX FP8.
Beside that I’m able to hack inside and install a 2.5mm stereo jack for external shutter release (mouth switch, bite switch, and etc...) it also has other favorable properties.
The camera is 12MP with the 28mm wide lens. Very important the lens assembly doesn’t have the telescopic mechanism. Also the camera has the USB, AV, and DC ports on the side (now days most P&S cameras have one port for everything on the bottom) so the camera can stay on the helmet/quick release plate for downloading images and recharging the battery. The 12MP resolution of course nothing else but digital enhancement just like on any other P&S cameras. (The size of the lens and imager just can’t truly provide 12MP). I also can’t see the difference in image quality between the settings like “HI” or “Normal” except the file size lot smaller in “Normal” mode (more compressed) and all processing and downloading happens faster. (which is very important for us in the tandem video business). I was getting the best looking shots when I used the 5MP Normal Quality setting with the forced flash. But the camera took only12-13 shots with this setting during the skydive. I got most images when I used 5MP Normal without the flash in burst mode. With this setting the camera takes 5 pictures in a row about 1frame/sec rate, and then the shutter release (bite switch) has to be depressed for about 2sec prior to take another 5frame burst.
There’s a full quality 12MP picture (the solo guy) among the attached files to demonstrate that the 12MP is only a joke on any packet cameras. The file size (4000x3000 pixels) tells you it’s 12MP but you can’t see any more details in the image than in a 5MP one (also trained eyes will see the digital blow up).
There’s a “flash burst mode” as well what I haven’t tried yet. This mode only allows 3MP resolution.
The whole thing weights about 4oz ONLY with battery and SD card!!!
The 28mm wide view is still wider than the Canon XTi with the 18mm kit lens for example.
Overall this camera is definitely usable for skydiving (tandem factory photos)
If anyone is interested please PM to me.

-Laszlo-

please click below to se the full res. images

12MP best quality: http://www.laszloimage.com/Jan_15th_10%20005_12MP.jpg

5MP normal, no flash: http://www.laszloimage.com/5MP_normal_no_flash.JPG

5MP normal with flash: http://www.laszloimage.com/5MP_normal_with_flash.JPG

Actually the “tougher brother” is a though task to modify. I tried to modify the Olympus water proof camera last summer. The problem is the water proof construction inside the camera. It was pretty much impossible to get inside without breaking anything to solder in a few wires.
It’s a very delicate “easy to screw up” procedure anyway…

The image quality compare to the Kodak V705 is better. But it’s still a point&shoot quality…. The Kodak has the 23mm wide advantage though. This camera is a neck saver not something to shoot photos for magazines. (I use my 5D with some good lenses for that purpose)
For two seasons (1000 jumps) I’ve been using my V570 which is a bit behind the V705.
No costumer ever complained about the image quality except once when some odd writing error occurred on the SD card. (I still salvaged and fixed the big portion of the images)

The 3 attached pictures shows the camera after modification mounted and connected on the camera helmet. The gaffers tape looks a bit crude but it works well to cover the jack which is fixed to the camera housing with two small zip-ties. Also covers the wires coming outside from the camera. This set up allows making the modification without drilling a single hole on the FP8. If the camera brakes most likely I can take the wires out and sand it back for warranty repair. I still try to come up with the “better looking” way to have the jack mounted and covered.

V705 will also do a 7 shot burst in about 3.5 seconds which can be nice... takes for ever process/recover, but nice to have for exits, openings, and landings. Just too bad that it doesn't hold the burst setting in memory, so you have to set it after turning it on in the plane before exit.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

That's cool, sounds good, Here at Empuria some people use the 18-55 and others use a Tokina AT-X107, 10-17 Fisheye and they're heavy, so this little thing sounds good, and a couple of guys have the little Ricoh's, but they're so expensive!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232