VideoFly

Protect Your Neck

I posted the details of my accident in the incident forum (Injury of Camera Flyer During Deployment; November 12, 2009). I had my 6-week post surgical check-up today and I am pleased that my doctor said that my bones are fusing well and I can expect to have a good recovery and probably jump again in a year. She also recommended that I do not jump with heavy cameras again.

After posting in the Incident Forum, I was very surprised to hear from so many others, both within the forum and through PM messages, who had similar accidents and neck problems from jumping with cameras. Therefore, I am concerned that with all of the safety issues regularly discussed in this forum, neck damage seems to get little attention.

I am posted this message to remind others to:
1- Choose your parachute carefully.
2- Pay attention to weight and balance when putting a camera helmet together.
2- Pack correctly.
3- Deploy from a stable position at a safe altitude.
4- Protect your neck from long-term and accidental damage (some others wear a cervical collar during camera jumps or adopt protective deployment positions).

2- Pack correctly.

These are two areas where I see alot of camera flers not really doing what they can to prevent injury.

In choosing your equipment carefully, you have to look at the job you're doing. If you are just shooting tandem videos, you don't really need the biggest, heaviest piece of glass you can mount on your still camera, a seperate flash unit, and a 16 hour battery on your video camera. It's true that some of those things will contribute to the quality of your image, but MOST camera flyers have a long way to go before a kit lens and natural lighting is what's holding back the quality of their images.

Even with the right stuff on your melon, keep everything mounted as low and tight as humanly possible. The more distance that weight has from your neck, the more leverge it has when your neck (and body) come to a sudden stop, and the weight (your cameras) wants to keep going.

When it comes to packing, there's no substitution for doing it yourself. If you're busy, hire an editor because an editing mistake won't kill you.

I know everyone will read this and think, "I'm fine. I jump my Bonehead Mega-Lid with this camera, and that flash, and that lens, and everything has a quick release, and I use a great packer who does a really super job, and I have no neck problems at all", which may be true today, but keep it up for 1000, or 2000 more jumps, and get 10 years older than you are now, and see what happens.

I learned very early on from a very smart guy that it's not the instant-canopy slammer that will get you, it's the 'ok' openings, that will add up and wear your inside parts down, little by little.

To the OP, glad you're going to be back in the sky. I know that you did get sidelined by a mega-slammer, but but theres a chance that years of flying heavy cameras may have worn you down to the point where that opening could do the damage it did.

That's why I encourage camera flyers to do what they can today to prevent this from happening in the future.

Your post is right on. Concerning camera choices, I agree that we go overboard with our still cameras. It would seem to me that there must be a way to use small 12+ megapixel point and shoot cameras for tandems. I know that there are problems with speed and remote shutter release options, but there have to be practical ways around those problems and we should be exploring them more. Eventually, we will be shooting with tiny digital still and video cameras in one, which will be very helpful. Unfortunately, I started with large hi-eights and film cameras.

As far as my neck goes, once again you are right. Preliminary x-rays showed numerous spurs over a half-inch long and wide, which grew in an attempt for my neck, under continuous trauma, to fuse itself. It took years of shooting video for those spurs to grow and for my discs to degenerate. That’s why one of the reasons I posted is to inform others that while they might not know it, they may be doing damage to their necks each time they jump. During my surgery, those spurs needed to be cut and drilled away.

As for age adding to problems, I am in my mid-fifties and yes, the body reacts differently to stress with age.

Ironic that this is posted as I sit in my recliner after what I can only describe as my worst opening EVER. It was the first jump on my newly finished semi custom helmet weighing 6.6 lbs total.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

2- Pack correctly.
4- Protect your neck from long-term and accidental damage (some others wear a cervical collar during camera jumps or adopt protective deployment positions).

5) (or maybe 4a) Do regular neck strengthening exercises and always stretch before jumping.

2- Pack correctly.

5) (or maybe 4a) Do regular neck strengthening exercises and always stretch before jumping.

6) Don't wear a pink camera suit.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
my pics & stuff!

Thanks for your post on this vidfly! This is an excellent topic that needs attention.

I have been flying camera for about 14 years now. I have jumped both heavy helmets and bad opening canopies with those heavy hi-8 cams, along with too much crap on my head unbalanced. And it has taken it's toll on my body.I now jump a ftp with a over sized top plate with everything mounted on top. Mounting a still can on the front of a helmet on an l-bracket IMO is the worst thing anyone could ever do. Mounting all on top as low as you can make it is always best IMO. If your going to side mount a video cam? Do so with a = counter weight on the opposite side of the helmet. I have seen home made lead shot bags mounted on the helmets with gaffers tape. It looks kind of funny but works beautifully!

As far as canopies go,

Canopies i have had experience with.

Sabre 1 = slammer openings, bad in turbulence.
Sabre 2 = very nice openings, fly's well in turbulence.
Vengeance = ok openings, but still to hard for camera.
PD 9 cell 210 = nice openings, not the most fun in performance.
Spectre = nice openings.
Stiletto = mostly soft but unpredictable openings IMO.
Xaos = Softest openings ever, like to search a little on opening but just go with it.
Best camera canopy i have seen , nice swoops! I have 2 98's 21 cells now... I understand the 27 is more aggressive but the performance is far better for swooping.

Just my 2 cents :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Xaos = Softest openings ever, like to search a little on opening but just go with it.
Best camera canopy i have seen , nice swoops! I have 2 98's 21 cells now... I understand the 27 is more aggressive but the performance is far better for swooping.

How are you gonna call yourself Velocityphoto and jump a Xaos? I'm just sayin' :P

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I would also add Safire2's and Crossfire2's to that list. Both are pretty good camera canopies in my experience. The XF2 likes to 'do its own thing' on opening, and it rarely opens on heading, but for most camera slots that's not a big issue.

linestretch and i actually had a good discussion about protecting your neck awhile ago (remember?). We talked about how the idea of putting your chin on the chest was bad one and that shrugging your shoulders for head/neck support as well as supporting it with your hands was the way to go.

To OP - good post and hope you have/will fully recover.

It scares me sometimes to see people's pics of their helmets with SLRs overhanging on the front of their FTPs, way off balance... experienced people too, not some new camera guys.

It scares me sometimes to see people's pics of their helmets with SLRs overhanging on the front of their FTPs, way off balance... experienced people too, not some new camera guys.

This is because people aren't thinking about the degenerative effects over time. They jump their lid all day and feel fine, so it must be right. When they do have a slammer that causes injury, they tend to blame that one opening, not realizing that the years of abuse weakened their neck, and allowed that one opening to do the damage it did. It's entirely possible that they could have handled that same opening earlier in their skydiving career.

I've been jumping a digital Rebel with a kit lens for years. I've thought about upgrading to a 15mm lens, but never pulled the trigger. Earlier this year a buddy picked up Cannon 15mm lens, but he wasn't going to be jumping it for a few months, so I asked if could fly it for awhile and see if I liked it. He brought me the lens, and when he handed it to me, the weight was immediately noticable in my hand, and I knew that I wouldn't be jumping that lens on any regular basis. In fact, I think I only put about 4 jumps on it, and one of them was a special occasion (an ash dive).

The point is this, for $40 on a tandem video the kit lens produces very nice images, and at a minimum of weight. I do feel that an SLR is an essential tool for me to do my job, just based on the frame rate, but given that, the extra weight of a big hunk of glass it too much.

A flash? Come on, it still only pays $40.

For all the new (and old) camera flyers, think about what you're doing. I know everyone gets excited, and is all gung-ho to be the next Mike McGowan, but keep in mind the two most prominent physical features when you see Mike - he's old, and built like an ox.

If you want to shoot like Mike, first you need to get old. He didn't learn what he knows in a day, or a decade for that matter. It took years and years, and unless you think long term, you'll never get there.

You probably don't need to built like an ox, however. Once your skills are close to Mikes, the gear will all be much ligher, and you won't need the muscle to haul the pro gear that Mike does.

It scares me sometimes to see people's pics of their helmets with SLRs overhanging on the front of their FTPs, way off balance...

I used to be one of "those" guys until this year when I went to an all-on-top set up on my Vapor Wes Pro. I hope to never go back. Even given the fact that the majority of my jumps were using a relatively light film SLR (Rebel 2000/28mmf2.8), I still always ended up at this time of the year with a sore neck in dire need of a winter's rest. This December, for the first time, I feel fine.

damn guys. my neck didn't hurt till after i read all this. but come to think of it it is pretty sore.:P guess I'll just self medicate with a couple more beers. but i am loving the opening on the new crossfire 2 179. accidental down size and all;)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

After a hard opening ripped my 40D bottom and 15mm from the front of my helmet (and ripped up my ankle in the process) I too, went to all-top, and only carry a flash on needed, rare occasion. I have a light that weighs next to nothing where the DSLR used to sit.

i had a slammer today that about knocked me out, luckly i only had my cx100 on. It came down to sloppy packing on my part. It made me realize that taking the time to pack right is always the best option... screw that 5 minute call, I want to be able to jump for 10 more years.
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource

yuppers, remember it well. the canopy choice is really what works for you. I've had an FX for 5 years and it's been very good to me. I think the part of the opening that's gonna get you is right when you let go of the PC. If it's gonna rock you, it will generally be then.
my pics & stuff!