BirdWoman

ASUS laptops

I am getting in the market to upgrade to the CX100 and will need a new laptop for all my editing. I was looking at my B&H Photo catalogue last night and noticed some ASUS laptops that look quite powerful, some of which containing a quad core processor. Does anybody have any experience/knowledge on ASUS notebooks in general? I am not familiar with this brand and am trying to get some feedback so I can continue on my hunt. Thanks!
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I am typing this on my 4 year old ASUS notebook right now. I bougt it in germany but had to get it repaired while i was living in the US, it took a while for them to believe i have a 48 month warranty since i bought it in the EU. After that they replaced the mainboard, Harddrive, Keyboard and Battery. Took two weeks all in all, but it all worked out.
It has a few mechanical issues and i am not sure it will last that much longer so i am thinking of buying a now notebook.

Hopte that helped a little.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Laptops are a mixed bag in general because every model is different and you have to buy the whole kit at once, you can't build your own. Look for reviews on your specific model. Even good names make bad models occasionally.

ASUS however is a very respected name in the PC world. I have built several desktop systems using ASUS motherboards and from what I've heard their laptops are just as reliable. ASUS and MSI are two of the only motherboard manufacturers I know that are actually branding laptops, which I think is kind of cool. I got my first laptop recently and went HP only because I got a really good deal... but ASUS was near the top of my "want" list if price had not been a concern, as it always is.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've used my Asus G2S 17"for gaming photo and DV editing, and it has worked..."well". The only issue is Windows Vista.. >:(>:(>:(

It has dual core, 2.4 and 4gb RAM(only 3 in use due to 32-bit OS). I've brought it to different DZ's as a portable editing station mostly for tandemvids, and it has performed well. I've used Premier elemetns 4.0, Photoshop CS4 and now Lightroom 3 Beta.

It need at least a re-innstalling of Vista..crap..

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

actually I just got an ASUS laptop... the UL30A... it has a ULV Core 2 Duo (1.73 GHz), 4 GB of RAM, 500 GB harddrive, a 13.3 in16:9 display, and windows 7 preinstalled... it seems really nice so far...I've installed LR2.5, Vegas, DVD Architect, and Windows...

It doesn't have a DVD drive but I have a compact portable one that plugs into a couple of USB ports.

The battery also is supposed to run for upwards of 12 hours as well...

About the only thing I don't like about it so far is the configuration of the harddrive... they seem to have split it into a few partitions... I have considered reformatting it and starting from scratch... but I think I might try and figure something out without having to reformat the drive...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Thanks for the update, guys. It really helps. DSE, let me know how yours works out. The one I am looking at either the N61Vn-A1, the G51J-A2, or the G71VX-A2, all of which have a quad core processor. I figure that if it doesn't have enough power, nothing will!
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

MSI and asus laptops are good, a lot better then some of the other brand names like toshiba (overheats a lot) and sony (got a shopping list of stuff i dont like about my sony)

Big thing to remember is processor speed is only one piece of the puzzle that determins power and speed, another thing to consider is FSB speed, ram size and latency, vid card, and hd
(im sure there is more but cant think of anything)

Unfortunatly laptops arent nicely upgradeable like desktops, but im sure you would be happy with an MSI with windows 7 or XP (i tend to avoid vista unless its the 64 bit version)

Im doing video editing from a CX12 on a sony laptop with an old p4 processor and have no problems, just doesnt go as fast as my desktop which ive built
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10