swoopfly

CX100 opteka lens help ??

hey

i have finally decided to go with the opteka .3 lens.
i was just wanting to ask someone what do i need to set it up. i heared i would need an aluminum spacer to fit it to my cx100, where can i get one of these and which size will i need,???? thanks

I just started using mine and I love it. Great angle of view and phenominal clarity. The step ring comes with it like the others have said. Be sure to check the tightness of the lens often as mine almost undid itself once. Enjoy!

I use this setup, it's a very wide angle lens and you have to remove the sunshade to avoid any vignetting.

Actually, I have found that all you need to do is simply rotate it properly and you will remove any dark corners/edges which look similar to vignetting but are not.

Use a plastic ring and not aluminum. TRUST ME. I had my Raynox 5050 ripped of on a busted exit. Glad I used plastic and not aluminum or else i would be out a lot more that $99

hey i was just wondering what you mean by ripped of on a busted exit? you saying if it was aluminum it would have taken your whole camera with it? i have the rawa helmet and box for the cx100 so there isnt any dooubt that i would loose the camera if i hit it on something, . And does the lens come with aluminum and plastic steprings or do i have to order which one i want? Also do you have to verify the stepring size on ordering or is it one size that will fit my cam, thanks for your answers in advance

cx100 has plastic filter threading, so if you use aluminium stepring, hitting something will probably cause ripping it off (you loose lens + stepring + damage that part of camera). if you use plastic stepring, you loose lens + damaged stepring, filter threading may survive it.
my pictures

hey i was just wondering what you mean by ripped of on a busted exit? you saying if it was aluminum it would have taken your whole camera with it? i have the rawa helmet and box for the cx100 so there isnt any dooubt that i would loose the camera if i hit it on something, . And does the lens come with aluminum and plastic steprings or do i have to order which one i want? Also do you have to verify the stepring size on ordering or is it one size that will fit my cam, thanks for your answers in advance

The lense comes with three aluminum step rings:
37 - 30.5
37 - 30
37 - 25
You just choose which ever fits your camera (for the CX100, it's 37 - 30).

The exit funneled and a big guy landed right on my camera. I would highly recommend investing the two or so dollars in buying a plastic step up ring from BH photo.

hey I have looked everywhere online and not been able to find a plastic step up ring 30 - 37. Does anyone have a link to where i can buy one of these, and the 2 dollar one sounds pretty good just havent been able to find it, thanks all.

I actually recommend using the metal ones. The plastic ones tend to easily pop off and de-thread. This can be a huge debate, (think we may already had this) but I feel a lot more confident with the metal rings that century provides vs. something plastic like those that come with the raynox lenses. I've had my raynox pop on the ground after a tame skydive. Thank god it finally let go on the grass and not in the sky. Yes a hard hit can break the threads off of your CX100, but I rather a light hit on the door frame not pop off a $300 lens.

Of course lending your $300 lens to someone is another sure way to loose it... Mr Shorb... :P

HYPOXIC