gilead1

cx100 - top or side mount?

Some people say the angle changes from top to side and in some flight modes you have to tilt your head to get the shot... i havent had that issue. I have all my cameras top mounted on FTP (for RW video) and on FF (for fun jumps) helmets. After i switched to top mount a few years ago, i think it's the best way to have it. I guess it's a matter of personal preference, i saw the CX100 side mounted on a Tonfly last weekend and i think it looks goofy. Looks like Johnny 5. No disassemble!! :D

Yes, I'm tottaly agree with the "goofy"
the only problem with the top mount is the AFF jumps, were I get help to stabilize rough exits with my head top... :S
but I think I will go for the top mount and hope that the blacbox will be strong enough

Thanks

I like the cookie back box, I'd stick with the side mount . The cookie box needs a thumb screw thru the bottom of the box into the camera. You'll be able to access it with ease being on the side too. If it's top mounted it a pain .

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Thats ok if you don't ever need to remove the camera from the box for putting it in a dock and charging ,loading your video etc etc. I have my cx 12 top mounted with a stroboframe. And i have to remove that to sit it in the dock for loading video right now.
I have not got proficient enough yet with vegas pro to do all my edits with it.
It is just so much easier to unscrew a thumb screw if it is side mounted.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

On a second thought it is a real pain to connect the cx100 to the flatlock with the hypeye.
anyone make a box that dont require a screw?

You could direct mount a Rawa CX100 box to a Liquid Flatlock. The Rawa box secures the camera without a screw to the camera...just a screw closure for the box itself.

We did receive Rawa top-mount boxes for the CX100, although it has a longer than necessary lens section that may need to be cutback depending on the lens you end up using.

I'll get some photos up tomorrow or Monday on my site.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

sounds great,
I'm using the Diamond X0.3 lens, is it a problem?
is it copitiable with the Hypeye D Pro?
what is the price?

thanks
Gilead

Below are some photos I took last night. The Diamond and Cookie lenses will fit without a filter, they just are recessed into the lens extension area. You would need to cut back that part of the box to match your lens.

It is compatible with the HypEye D Pro, but it won't fit inside the box like Cookie's Blackbox. There is a hole cut in the side of the box for access to the plug in as well as the on/off switch. Of the boxes they shipped out to me in the first batch, some have the HypEye D Pro access hole and some do not. But it would just be a matter of cutting another hole in the boxes that do not have them. I'm going to make sure all future boxes have that hole cut.

All Rawa camera boxes are $120. Keep mind they don't include any mounting hardware like Cookie's boxes. It's just the box and the closing screw for the box (plus two extra closing screws).

Also a few of the photos below show a Liquid Flatlock to show a size relation as well as how it would sit if mounted to a flatlock. The Flatlock is not included with Rawa camera boxes. :)
Mike
ChutingStar.com

Hey Mike,

Just a quick question:

On the bottom of the FlatLock I see a notch cut into the middle slot, is that to adjust the camera to the center of the mount?

Thanks!

The notch in that Flatlock is specifically for the CX100/105 cameras. And yes, that was just released by Cookie to center that particular camera on the Flatlock for top mounting with a thumbscrew using the Cookie CX100/105 Blackbox.

Cookie makes different version of the Flatlock top plate to center cameras such as the HC 5/7/9, HC3, CX 6/7/11/12 and now the CX 100/105. The standard plate works for other video cameras and all the still cameras.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I don't know of any.I was considering buying the cookie black box abd adding some padding to make it fit tight .
Any thoughts on this anyone?