Demian

Custom designs on Canopies

This is a question I posted a while back in rec.skydiving, but I'm curious to hear some of your opinions in here.

I've seen a couple of canopies around the DZ that have custom designs on them. Most notably, there was one made to look like the Mexican Flag, complete with the Snake and Eagle. I'm wondering how this is done.

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

This is a question I posted a while back in rec.skydiving, but I'm curious to hear some of your opinions in here.

I've seen a couple of canopies around the DZ that have custom designs on them. Most notably, there was one made to look like the Mexican Flag, complete with the Snake and Eagle. I'm wondering how this is done.

Different companies do things different ways.. a lot of them are printed on a piece of fabric (parachute material) via whatever means (silk screening) and then sewn on to the skin of the parachute. Others actually silk screen directly to the parachute material. Adding logos typically adds (obviously) to the expense and (not so obviously) to the pack volume.

Most manuf. have the option of doing this for you, just call them and ask them. Prices vary based on the size and complexity. Often times images have to be digitized, etc.

Is it safe to airbrush a logo onto a canopy. It seems to me that it would be since the paint spays out in a fine mist... my only concern might be a chemical reaction between the paint and the material.

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

Is it safe to airbrush a logo onto a canopy. It seems to me that it would be since the paint spays out in a fine mist... my only concern might be a chemical reaction between the paint and the material.

I don't know how well that paint will stick to it, plus keep in mind you're folding fabric up every time you pack it.. not sure how well the paint is going to stay when you're doing that.

So my answer would be no, that wouldn't work and probably isn't worth the risk of doing damage to the chute.

I had mine made into a Union Jack the pack volume is bigger and I probably lost some performance but I jump in France so it was an absolute necessity. The design is stiched not sprayed and cost an extra £200 (US$300) to be put onto my Hornet 170 from PISA. There not making anymore so I don't know what the score is on that front.
It does look the dogs bollocks tho.
:)

Logos on PD canopies are sewn on fabric, not screened, so having one increases the canopy's pack volume. They are expensive too; I've seen many where the logo cost more than the canopy itself. If you have a specific logo (i.e. camera ready artwork) and you're interested in knowing what it would cost on a PD canopy, contact a PD dealer; they can get you a quote.

I've seen some incredible stuff on PD canopies, including an awesome, totally detailed eagle (cost more than twice the cost of the canopy alone!).