blueskiesbill

Sony IP5

Hey all, was wondering if you could help....i would like to add a camera to my helmet and am looking at the Sony IP5 .... my questions is : is this a good beginner camera for freeflyin? is this a good camera for video'ing? I am not looking for professional quality, just looking for something that works decent...gets the job done....and i am able to look at the jump afterwards....so i guess what i am asking, is it a good skydiving camera?

also the other posts i have read about it said soemthing about transfering video, will i be able to hook this cam up to my TV/Laptop and watch the jump on a bigger screen?

thanks for any response!!

blue skies!!!

bill

the condemned convict climbs the highest peaks without fear

Wow...where did you find an IP5? They've been discontinued for a long time.
It should work OK as a casual camera. Don't expect it to last long, Xfer may well be a problem, drivers aren't supported in anything, but you should be able to force XP or Vista to use generic drivers. Dunno about an Apple, but you probably can force it to see it too, as it's MPEG isn't any different than a DVD camcorder.
Tapes are gonna be a bitch to find. The format never took off. Quality is very poor too, at only 12Mbps.
Unless the camera was free, I'd think twice about buying the headache that will accompany it.
But if you're shooting for fun, have no cash, don't mind low grade video, and understand tapes will be exceptionally hard to find...it'll work just fine.:P

thank you for the feedback --- but does it shoot a stable shot?

is there a way to get the media into a computer --- dont really care about getting the skydiving footage on disc, tape or drive .... but i would want to be able to put other things on tape, disc or drive?

thanx for the feedback jimmy but i understand that i will have a lot of work to do to make a decent video i was just stating that i am a newby and dont know what to look for and i have heard some things like image stabilizing, and other things that i have no knowledge on....i found this Sony IP5 that fits my budget so i was just inquiring as to whether or not this is considered a 'decent' camera for freeflying....i am solely doing this for fun and not to make money so i do not need the high end camera i just need something that works, so i would like some feedback on people that are more knowledgeable so that i can make a semi educated decision....so that being said any info given is greatly appreciated

blue skies!!!

bill

You apparently didn't understand what DSE was trying to say. The Sony IP5 records to MicroMV tapes. MicroMV tapes will be difficult to find. If you don't have any MicroMV tapes then you can't record any video with this camcorder at all.

There are better options out there and as DSE stated unless you got it for free it isn't worth your time. I have been very happy with the CX100, but if that is out of your price range there are used PC series cameras out there. I am not sure but maybe those new SD Sony cameras would be worth a look. They are around $200. Sony also has a "webbie" HD camera, 1440 x 900 (guess) that may suit you. That is also $200. You won't be able to put a conversion lens on it but from the sounds of it you wouldn't necessarily need it. Just a few thoughts, and my .02 cents.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

oh my bad i didnt mean to misconctrue what was said --- the seller is actually giving 5 tapes with the sale --- so i guess another question i have is will these tapes work well as i record over them and over again and over again?

There are better options out there and as DSE stated unless you got it for free it isn't worth your time. I have been very happy with the CX100, but if that is out of your price range there are used PC series cameras out there. I am not sure but maybe those new SD Sony cameras would be worth a look. They are around $200. Sony also has a "webbie" HD camera, 1440 x 900 (guess) that may suit you. That is also $200. You won't be able to put a conversion lens on it but from the sounds of it you wouldn't necessarily need it. Just a few thoughts, and my .02 cents.

thank you

true enough, my knowledge IS limited, cause i never heard of a sony IP5..
always used hi8 camcorders and then mini DV since the late 90's...
the PC series have always been well regarded and the trv series for top mount...
now high def sony, either tape based or memory stick would be a good choice. prices are very reasonable and if you want video, it's good to strive for the BEST quality you can get...

( micro tapes are for answering machines;)... aren't they??/?? ) ....B|:)
jmy
scr
scs
nscr

true enough, my knowledge IS limited, cause i never heard of a sony IP5..
always used hi8 camcorders and then mini DV since the late 90's...
the PC series have always been well regarded and the trv series for top mount...
now high def sony, either tape based or memory stick would be a good choice. prices are very reasonable and if you want video, it's good to strive for the BEST quality you can get...

( micro tapes are for answering machines;)... aren't they??/?? ) ....B|:)
jmy
scr
scs
nscr

Whats an answering machine??? :P