bomb420

Baby Death Lens (MKII Century 37mm .3x wide angle)

I was looking at being a distributor of the .3x 37mm century lens (BH link to DS-FEWA-37) but found I could get them cheaper at BH then I could directly from Century in large quantities. Seems they raised their prices in 2008 and BH still has the old stock. They are now listing for $410 and BH has them for $279. If you are thinking about getting this lens, it may not be a bad idea to stop procrastinating. Once their price goes up, I may then become a dealer :D
HYPOXIC

-Huge diff in the glass quality between babydeath and the Raynox.
-Haven't shot with a modded Raynox, but have seen footage from one. Abberation was terrible, but that won't bother most skydivers, I don't think.
-it's half the cost to mod the Raynox, so if #2 point doesn't bother you...

-Huge diff in the glass quality between babydeath and the Raynox.
-Haven't shot with a modded Raynox, but have seen footage from one. Abberation was terrible, but that won't bother most skydivers, I don't think.
-it's half the cost to mod the Raynox, so if #2 point doesn't bother you...

Hmmm .... thanks. Not sure what you mean by "huge". Sounds kind of subjective. I wonder if you could point me at some techie data. Terrible aberration would certainly bother me, but again I don't know what you would consider terrible ;) Are you saying that the aberration was caused by the mod, or is it that the Raynox glass is terrible compared to the Century Optics glass?

Are you saying that the aberration was caused by the mod, or is it that the Raynox glass is terrible compared to the Century Optics glass?

To a degree, both.
Century is a higher quality glass than Raynox (as reflected in the resolution and price). The mod only serves to amplify those differences.
At those widths, I doubt much anyone but a broadcaster or someone striving for balanced color will care at all.

Well I can tell you those plastic adapter rings that come with the raynox just cost me my lens on opening. Not a hard opening, just a normal Velo opening. I was concerned about this happening and planned to support the lens more in in its box, but after 10 jumps it was too late.
I think this may be a blessing in disguise however. I was fairly disappointed with the 3030 as it doesn't provide the same wide angle as the diamond .3 on my PC-9 prior. For inside freeflying it's simply not wide enough. Can anyone shed some light on the Century lens? I checked out DSE's lens comparison chart, but I'd like a user opinion before I cough up the cash for a new one. Thanks!

> I was fairly disappointed with the 3030 as it doesn't provide the same
> wide angle as the diamond .3 on my PC-9 prior.

On my HC1 the 3030 is a very, very wide lens, much wide than the 5000 I normally use. On my CX100 it's barely wider than a .5 on the HC1. It's primarily the camera causing the 'narrowness' of the 3030.

Well I can tell you those plastic adapter rings that come with the raynox just cost me my lens on opening. Not a hard opening, just a normal Velo opening. I was concerned about this happening and planned to support the lens more in in its box, but after 10 jumps it was too late.
I think this may be a blessing in disguise however. I was fairly disappointed with the 3030 as it doesn't provide the same wide angle as the diamond .3 on my PC-9 prior. For inside freeflying it's simply not wide enough. Can anyone shed some light on the Century lens? I checked out DSE's lens comparison chart, but I'd like a user opinion before I cough up the cash for a new one. Thanks!

This is the 7th story I've heard....some say the plastic is better (than metal) to shear than the front of the camera; I strongly disagree.
Sorry to hear about it. That sucks.

Yes, it will provide a more wide angle.
Caution; the Babydeath is a very open-faced lens (I'm sure you've already looked at it).
The coatings are exposed, as is the glass. IMO, it's not a lens for everyday tandem use.
But...you know what you're after, I assume.

I just got of the phone with adorama and they matched b&h price of 279.00 shipped to my door. Actually did a refund of the $30.00 difference.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Would this new one be better than baby death?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577501-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_FEWA_43_0HD_FEWA_43_Ultra_Fisheye_HD.html

I mean resolution across the frame. I guess it came out with that 0.5HD? They put "HD" on the new ones, perhaps for a reason. I e-mailed them, but no reply. They don't disclose lines per mm like raynox does. So I was wondering.
Another thing... I wonder, using that (bigger lens) with a step up ring 43mm-37mm, is it like putting a 15mm fisheye (for 35mm format) on a APS-C sensor? Would the filed of view be limited? With a step ring, we are using the center part of the lens right?

I have had baby death for 4 seasons. I like it a lot but i am always looking for something better.

Does anyone have cx100/105 HD footage with this particular lens? .3x 37mm century lens (DS-FEWA-37). I can't work out if the link you posted here is with the Century .3 or not...

How does the physical dimension on this lens work out for you? 78mm on the cx100 is quite wide? Can you post a pic of the lens attached to the cx100?

Thanks for the tip towards B&H!
Anders
http://www.theskydivingtube.com

Looks nice! will it clear the helmet if i mount the CX105 on a flatlock?

It should. There is only a small amount of overlap at the bottom - the camera almost sits flat on a desk. Probably won't work for a side-mount however.

no way to protect the glass.

Seen some vids on youtube of skaters wrecking the Baby Death! that must suck bigtime! but hey, its probably better to let the lens take a hit then to have the camera shatter!

Im not too keen on vignetting.. Will the baby death cause vignetting on the CX105 when you use a step down from 37mm?

I'll lend my lens to Sara or one of the organizers on the 100way tryouts and post the footage. Should give a good idea of how well it works with that camera. Maybe I'll just take it out to cinco de mayo @dosgringos & @de.la.casa.thronco tonight for some ground test footage. B|

-thronco rodriguez

HYPOXIC

Just picked up my lens recently....

price is 299 at B&H now.

Have my 'baby death' on my Cx100 belly mount and using my raynox .3 on my cx7 helmet cam.

Great lens, awesome, much wider then raynox with great quality. Raynox is great though as you can zoom it, and the 1st person is nice. Great to have several tools for the job. If you put in the work, this site teaches you a lot about the equipment necessary to shoot good base/skydiving video....

_justin

no vig with a step down from 37mm. I reckon you could still add an extra 2 spacer rings to make the FOV wider with no vig. The CX100 is quite narrow on most lenses it seems. And yes adding spacers will make a lens wider (although this might seem counter intuitive).