mnskydiver688

Using a CX100 w/o Box?

For those who are using the CX100 without a box, could you post pics of how you are securing the camera and LCD screen? I am getting a Flatlock and what to see different ways of securing the camera and LCD so it doesn't fly open when you decide to do some back flying. Thanks in advance!

Malcolm
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Use gaffer tape (the good stuff). Tape the door shut and you probably want to tape up the zoom switch and photobuttuns too. I'm gettting a box for mine though, it's too plasticky (compared to TRV and PC series I jumped box-less) and too expensive a camera ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I use a rubber band to keep the screen from blowing open (has only happened when I'm climbing out onto the step of the plane) other then that it's not in a box or anything on top of my FTP.

Edited to add: I'm just using a simple rubber band such as something you could find in an office supply store...

Here's a picture... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=110187;

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It looks like with yours there is room underneath the camera where a rubber band could be fitted. With a Flatlock would there be any room underneath the camera? Side note how does the camera stay aligned on the Flatlock? I can't seem to see an alignment pin. Does the rubberized surface keep it aligned?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

It looks like with yours there is room underneath the camera where a rubber band could be fitted. With a Flatlock would there be any room underneath the camera? Side note how does the camera stay aligned on the Flatlock? I can't seem to see an alignment pin. Does the rubberized surface keep it aligned?

There I suppose is room underneath the camera to fit the rubber band... as long as the camera is bigger then the plate then a rubber band should work fine.

as for anti-twist with using the flatlock I don't see why it would be an issue... but I haven't actually used the flatlock before... so I don't know...

when I googled the flatlock I did notice a page at Chuting star Rigging loft's gear store that implies that you can order a specific QR plate depending on the camera you plan to mount.

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_59&products_id=413
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I gaffer mine, but you can grab a large velcro band, ala altimeter band, and fish it under the flatlock assembly before its mounted. I've seen a bunch of people grab webbing with a buckle from REI and either put a notch in their helmet/plate or you can probably just fish it under the flatlock and have it displace enough that the flatlock still mounts sturdy. Or take a file to it :) I like the webbing solution since it does make the whole assembly that much more secure.

HYPOXIC

I jump the HDR-SR12 w/ no box. Mainly because no one makes a box for it. I physically remove the hard drive when jumping to prevent failure due to the issues with altitude. I got the SR12 because I use the camera for other things and need the hard drive for its massive storage capabilities.

I've never had any issues with the screen coming open or zoom being moved due to wind. I also made my own mounting device similar to a quick quad but sturdier.

I'm about to add an Rebel XSi to the top too. I'm gonna have to move the SR12 over a bit. I'll probably make one bracket for both.

Alex

PS: Check out my April fools prank I played on a co-worker (and captured with the SR12/XSi).
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/4/April-Fools-Foam-peanut-bomb-695940.html