AHoyThere

What to charge?

A regional magazine did a special interest story and they would like to publish the story along with four of my freefall photographs. (I didn't write the story.) They have a circulation of about 50,000 subscribers.

They've asked me 'how much' would I need in order to use my pictures. I just want to be fair.

Is there some formula available, based on circulation that would help with pricing?

Any help is appreciated.

This may give you some ideas for a working price range.

DO NOT SELL YOUR COPYRIGHT!!!!!

As an example (per picture):

Type of Use:: Editorial
Specific Use:: Magazine
Press Run:: 50,000 to 100,000
Size:: 1/4 Page or Spot use
Low Price:: $175.00
Average Price:: $275.00
High Price:: $375.00

Good luck, and congrats on being published!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A regional magazine did a special interest story and they would like to publish the story along with four of my freefall photographs. (I didn't write the story.) They have a circulation of about 50,000 subscribers.

They've asked me 'how much' would I need in order to use my pictures. I just want to be fair.

Is there some formula available, based on circulation that would help with pricing?

Any help is appreciated.

That is awesome! As mnealtx pointed out, there are easy calculators that will allow you to come up with a number. I would say that you should also consider the types of photos and the context in which they will appear. In other words, ask yourself to what extent your photos are uniquely suited for the article the magazine is working on. Check out the microstock sites and look at prices for similar photos that might also be relevant to the context of the article. If you set your price too high they might be able to find suitable substitutes for $10 each.