rndyroth

CX100 and iMovie 09

I've ordered the new CX100 and am new to camera flying. I'll be filming tandems at some point.

I have a new MacBook Pro with iMovie 09 and would like to be able to use that for editing. Has anyone tried using it? Or am I barking up the wrong tree???

i have a cx12 and imovie 09 and i think i movie sucks for this avchd . I'm currently setting up windows xp with bootcamp and sony vegas pro 8 within windows xp . OSX /apple does not support vegas.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

That is why i'm going to vegas . According to spot it will run soooo much faster.And from what i have seen it looks much more user friendly to me at least.

And hey we have our own personal video trainer right here anyways guys .

Thanks Spot!!!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

A specific example:
I created an AVCHD movie exactly 10 minutes long yesterday. I then put the stick in a card reader and used the Log and Transfer function in Final Cut Pro to bring it in. It took a little more than 13 minutes -- in other words, longer than if I brought in 10 minutes of HD data from tape.
I haven't tried it yet in iMovie 09, but have no reason to believe it would be significantly different.

HW

What program are you using to transcode for import?

None. FCP (be sure you have the latest update) does it automagically. It works only in Log and Transfer, not Log and Capture -- in other words, you can't browse through the contents of the input stream and select only the bits you want. See this Apple Technote.
I also tried a demo version of Voltaic before I found out I didn't need it for FCP.

HW

Is Mac only slow when importing video or working with it as well? If the former, would it be faster to import video in Windows running on a virtual machine first and then work with it in Leopard?
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Is Mac only slow when importing video or working with it as well? If the former, would it be faster to import video in Windows running on a virtual machine first and then work with it in Leopard?

It is only slow on import (in some ways it can be faster while editing depending on your computer). But unfortunately, you cannot simply use a Windows machine to import the files. It isn't really the file import itself, it is that during import the Mac transcodes the file to a different format. It actually changes the file it to an intermediate codec (usually either AIC, or Pro-RES). That's what takes time. Because of this, how much horsepower you have can make a difference on import speed. Once it is in one of these formats, the editing is very quick.

Howard, I'm curious what CPU and RAM did you have for your example?

The Apple Final Cut Express web page has a demo video specifically about AVCHD, noting you can "Begin editing AVCHD footage seconds after import."
This is, of course, true, but import takes a while. I'm guessing -- but only guessing -- that the FCX performance in this will be essentially the same as with FCP.
There is a good little demo there of Log and Transfer, which notes that you can select individual clips from a stick and choose only the ones you want to import. (But you can't "scrub through" a clip and select only portions of it for import, as you can with a tape.) And as soon as one is imported you can in fact begin editing it, while others continue importing/transcoding in background.
That still does not compare to the workflow with Vegas Pro, where you can begin editing in seconds after the stick is attached.

HW

I have a new MacBook Pro with iMovie 09 and would like to be able to use that for editing. Has anyone tried using it?

I have CX105 and I use it with iMovie '09. It works just fine. Plug USB-cable in and iMovie recognizes your camera automatically. Then select clips that you want to use and press import. Easy as that. :)

Importing 60s clip took 44s with my MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz / 4 Gb.