flr169

tools needed to install cutaway on FF3

Well I will picking my new FF3 up at the boarder in about 1hr....then driving 3 more hours to hopefully get a jump or 3 in this weekend...

Have no idea what tools I need to install the chin cup and cutaway system.....

should of asked this a few days ago...

any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Well I will picking my new FF3 up at the boarder in about 1hr....then driving 3 more hours to hopefully get a jump or 3 in this weekend...

Have no idea what tools I need to install the chin cup and cutaway system.....

should of asked this a few days ago...

any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Here you go Mike.

http://2kcomposites.com/html/cutaway.html

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the helmet,

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I have an ff3. I did not need any tools to set up my cutaway, but it was before the push button system. They are so good at what they do, I doubt you will need any tools for the new configuration.
You only live once, but If you live like I did once is enough.

Because the system has a ratchet on only one side if you want it central it's best to fit it yourself. Otherwise if you have a comedy chin it'll never fit properly. See if this link works.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=90078;guest=52173730

I think all you need is something to make a hole in the strap so it should be pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

I have an ff3. I did not need any tools to set up my cutaway, but it was before the push button system. They are so good at what they do, I doubt you will need any tools for the new configuration.

I'm with the "post pictures" crowd...

Even though I paid to have a cutaway system and a cameye installed, my FF2 arrived with neither assembly able to function. I had to work with my rigger to get all of the pieces sorted out.

The cameye was there but not routed or installed. I paid 40 dollars to have the thing tossed into the box with my helmet.

The cutaway was there but none of the hardware to attach the chincup to the the helmet was included, which made the cutaway ...and edit... the chincup and therefore the entire helmet pretty seriously useless.

I spent about 2 weeks getting past the European vs North American definition of "missing hardware" before 2KC fixed the problems. And another edit. On one hand it's petty to claim that a helmet is useless when one can get a few dollars worth of bolts and nylon at Home Depot and make it work...

But still... it's also pretty pathetic to pay 700 dollars for a helmet and have it arrive unusable.

Now.. mind ya. I love my FF2 and think it's an awesome helmet. It just took a lot of grief to get it right considering that it's twice the cost of most other helmets.
Owned by Remi #?

That's the old cutaway system. From the pics on the site, it looks like the new button system has ratchet straps on both sides.

I have an FF2 with the old system and I agree... there's no way that system could have come pre-installed since it has to be fitted. But I did need a rigger to help. At least mine came with all the necessary hardware (and cameye installed properly).

Dave

If thats true, it's just silly. The best way to protect themselves would be to install it correctly and test every installation (when it can be installed without test fitting). And then provide warnings that it may not work.

The FF2 didn't come with any instructions and the design wasn't the same as the pictures on their website. When I got it to match the photographs as close as possible, it utterly failed a test. Had to try another configuration to get it to work. Clearly they weren't concerned with legal issues.

Dave

Actually the 2K helmet comes with the new button cutaway system already installed. There are ratchets on both sides and the excess hides away into the chin cup.

Also they will install the Cameye (or Hypeye) if you order it along with the helmet.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Hey Mike....

Thanks for the great service and all the answers to my questions.....

The FF3 fits perfect.....so tight that my Gatorz hurt my head....I can live with that...well not really but I'm sure I can find something else to where ..

I'm glad I sold my PC1000 and baught the HC5 because the video is just out standing when watched on a High Def tv....

I aslo got to see a CX7 this weekend and that cam is sure sweet.....even fits into my new helmet.... :)

Anyways , getting side tracked here...sorry

The FF3 arrived with the cam eye 2 installed and routed correctly....the cutaway system was also installed....the chin cup was also installed....everything worked and looks awesome..

The only thing I had to install was the aluminum plate to which my HC5 sits on....

TOOLS NEEDED:

10 mm wrench and a 4mm allen key...
got all this from menards for less than 6 bucks...

THANKS BOWEN for all your help ....
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Hey Mike,

your welcome man.

I stand corrected, I guess 2k is installing the new cutaway for customers. in the past it was up to the customer to install it. Thanks for that selling point, I must have missed that. My FF3 has the old school style cutaway..

I am curious about the hypeye though. I just sold a half dozen helmets to the US Air Force and the Hypeye wouldn't fit. are we talking about the Pro D?

Thanks,
Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

All I tried was mounting the CX7 onto the aluminum plate...It fit and I was able to close the lid....never tried hooking upto the cam eye 2 cause I realized it didn't have the lanc...then remembered reading u have to use the hype eye...didn't have one of those.

hope this helps

Mike