schulm04

What's the next best PC series down from the PC1000?

I think compared to the new HD cams that are available, they are pretty much all the same. I don't remember there ever being a huge difference in video quality between them, especially compared to newer cams. I think you would be alright with which ever you can find for general skydiving purposes. (ie: fun jumps, tandems, aff. etc) And it seems weird to me that you can get an HC5 for less than a PC1000 on ebay. :S:S

If you r just looking for a list of PC cameras to search for try:

PC9
PC101
PC5
PC7
PC105
PC100
PC1
PC120
PC105
PC330

Im sure there's other I forgot

The PC 1000 seems ideal to me b/c fo its really close to HD and it is a nice thin side mount (i dont like top mount) with MiniDV which is obviously a big deal for firewiring at the DZ

looks like another one who drank the PC1000 Kool-Aid...

The PC1000 is the flimsiest PC camera that Sony built.

It's no closer to HD than the PC330 and it's lowlight performance blows big hairy dogs.

It's a royal pain in the ass for firewiring at the DZ since it has no firewire port on the camera, only on the docking station and those seem to break more often than even the PC1000 does!

Why fight topmount? It's the way forward. Sidemount is a dead-end road.

Finally to answer your question, the 'next best' PC is probably the PC105 or PC9, since I rate the PC330 as a better camera overall than the PC1000.

PC1K served me well for 3+ years, it's been a great camera for skydiving, no doubt.

But why on earth would anyone want to spend 1000 USD today for a "new" 4 year old design SD mini-DV camera is beyond me. Personally, I see absolutely no reason to buy a PC1000 these days since there are so many choices for hundreds less in high def. Firewire is gone, accept it. Solid state is the way to go. If you still do editing in analog SD why cant you use A/V from an HD cam? If you edit on a PC get a damn card reader :) If your only concern getting your buddy's footage... get an el cheapo Sony HC-something for 200+ bucks and a nice CX12 and there you go - you personal entry pass into the 21st century skydiving video in the form of a nice solid state HD cam and a good DV cam for back ups.

If its a rudder you need to fly better. I've been top mount for the last 600 jumps and got over the "rudder effect" after half a dozen jumps. If you can't frame people then you need to fly better to frame them better. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

i hear that the top mount has a rudder effect when flying head down and it is difficult to get people in the frame when you are really close i.e. freefly docks

Not true. Dont listen to those people :) It's not the camera position - it's the flying/filming skills ;)

take a look at this as a reference of a top mounted CX7 with no wide angle lens!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqi2RWulT5I