PERRYSTONE04

video editing computer

what is your current platform? If you're a Mac user, get another Mac, although for HD, 3K isn't gonna get you very far.
If you're a PC user, you can use off the shelf if you're using HDV or AVCHD, faster is better.
If you're SD, doesn't really matter what you get.
Both platforms have advantages, both platforms have disadvantages. You can get into high level video much less expensively on a PC than on a Mac, but Bootcamp also makes the PC access pretty easy.
FAR, FAR more options on a PC than Mac for editing.
You're gonna want multi-core, fast CPU's, at LEAST two HDD's, one for media, one for OS...If XP is your thing, 2GB of RAM, if Vista is your thing, then at least 4GB of RAM, if MAC...as much RAM as you can afford.
Dual head vid card
DVD burn (maybe BD?)
Lots of slots
Lots of USB
1394 connection
Card bay is nice
I'm missing a few things here, it's late.

....If you're a Mac user, get another Mac, although for HD, 3K isn't gonna get you very far.
Dual head vid card
DVD burn (maybe BD?)
Lots of slots
Lots of USB
1394 connection
Card bay is nice

??? For 3K you can get a dual quad core MacPro (i.e. 8 cores) with 2gig RAM, bundled software, and all the stuff listed above. Plus you can still buy another hard drive to use one for capture only and still be under 3K (plus still have two empty hard drive slots, Firewire 800, SP-DIF digital audio in/out, three open PCI slots, etc.). For even less, you can buy a Mac with the measly single quad core recommended above, and Final Cut Express and still have money left over!!! Don't let the anti-Mac crowd tell you you can't get a great Mac for the money.

....If you're a Mac user, get another Mac, although for HD, 3K isn't gonna get you very far.
Dual head vid card
DVD burn (maybe BD?)
Lots of slots
Lots of USB
1394 connection
Card bay is nice

??? For 3K you can get a dual quad core MacPro (i.e. 8 cores) with 2gig RAM, bundled software, and all the stuff listed above. Plus you can still buy another hard drive to use one for capture only and still be under 3K (plus still have two empty hard drive slots, Firewire 800, SP-DIF digital audio in/out, three open PCI slots, etc.). For even less, you can buy a Mac with the measly single quad core recommended above, and Final Cut Express and still have money left over!!! Don't let the anti-Mac crowd tell you you can't get a great Mac for the money.

I agree! GET A MAC!

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Are Macs playing nice AVCHD yet?

Not in their pro software.
I live in both worlds. I have four Macs in my personal space, all run Bootcamp, three run Parallels. My company has around 30 MBPs, and approx 65 PC laps. In other words, I'm non-biased; it's about the tools.
The Mac vs PC debate is simply stupid. There are SO many things a Mac can't do as easily as a PC, and SO many things a PC can't do as easily as a Mac.
Mac is a lifestyle and a tool. PC is a tool, period, IMO. If you wanna change your lifestyle, get a Mac. If you want a tool and don't care about the insipid head-in-the-sand philosophies that accompany iCock, iRock, and iDon'tCare, then get a Mac.

DSE: (Or anyone) What sorta spec level do you think you'd need out of a laptop to be able to edit digital footage?
I realise a desktop pc would be a more powerful (better)option, but a laptop that could run Vegas and do the jump footage would be mighty handy.

Any laptop built in the last 2 years will easily edit SD footage without hitching, using Vegas or Edius, or even Adobe Premiere.
Most any recent laptop properly configured can easily edit HDV as well, without losing frames using Vegas or Edius, and some will be fine with Premiere.
I edit quite often on a laptop, much of the time over the past year on my MacBook Pro running Bootcamp and Vegas.

If the laptop runs vista you need a minimum of 2gb RAM, 3 or 4 gb is better. For XP, 2 GB is plenty.
You want a real video card so Ati or Nvidia no intel chip crap.
An intel dual core processor is (way) better then an AMDx2 but amdx2 will do in a pinch, get an intel x2 if you have the choice (I didn't [:/]).
Get an external harddrive for the videofiles.
Of course you need a firewire port - my current EUR 1400 laptop didn't come with one, had to add it but you can't always do that!
Large screen is nice, I like editing on my old 17" better than on my newer 12" ;)
You probably want a DVD burner (some smaller notebooks have no disc drive)

Any laptop with above specs will comfortably let you edit and render video. Not as fast (the rendering mainly) as a tricked out pc but still quite alright.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What editing system are you already familiar with? Do you want to learn a new one?
Those are the bigger questions.

currently i am using premier pro and sometime elements 2.0 the company that wants to send me some work are using avid but they say not for long so i think i just might try Sony Vega pro ? i have herd allot of good things about it so as you can see i am lost .
PS DSE i just bought your DVD inside the Sony HC series nice work .

I was searching again for pc's and I found this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-3118_7-6623901.html?tag=prmo1

Quad core for under 600 bucks.

I was originally looking at a 4500 dollar mac pro setup but I realized since I am only doing SD for the foreseeable future that I can't justify that level of expense.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was searching again for pc's and I found this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-3118_7-6623901.html?tag=prmo1

Quad core for under 600 bucks.

I was originally looking at a 4500 dollar mac pro setup but I realized since I am only doing SD for the foreseeable future that I can't justify that level of expense.

that Quadcore will also edit HD just fine.

just so you see i am not wasting your time. here is a video i did last year . this was for a racing series year end party' they have asked me to do another one this year and also the touring car series have asked . and maybe some drifting guys also

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/TOYOTA-ECHO-RACING_138388.htm

What editing system are you already familiar with? Do you want to learn a new one?
Those are the bigger questions.

05' pwr book, FCE and a little experience with 05' I movie. Is that enough? Or is it 3 years behind the power book curve for AVCHD? Not a lifestyle issue. Lifestyle is about knees in the breeze. Gadgets and gizmos are here today and gone tomorrow.

I was under the impression from our talks that mac/imovie was not AVCHD friendly, but could be HD friendly, say a HC 1 etc. ???

Maybe I mis understood, because I do have an interest in getting an HC -1 or 3,5,9 sometime down the road, but not if I would have to get a new editing system, I'm VERY happy with my mac and imovie 06 and gee three add ons.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

iMovie manages AVCHD now as well.

Do you mean only the new 08 imovie or would an older 06 handle it too. I assume I would have to get an upgrade of software?

I thought AVCHD was mpeg 4.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

AVCHD is in the MPEG4 family, yes. Which is why I specified MPEG 2 in the previous post.
You'll need to upgrade to the latest versions of iMovie and FCE to enjoy AVCHD support. I can't remember if iMovie 06 allows MPEG 2/HDV or not.

I just have to agree with DSE about MAC.
Currently I'm involved to create a TV show.
The project is edited on a 1 year old super-duper G5 sysytem using Final Cut Pro (in a pro studio about $15,000 system)
The issue we have is different file formats and frame rates. FCP doesn't really handle it!!!
$69 Sony Vegas does handle multiple frame rates and formats in a same time line! But that softwarre won't run on MAC...
Now some of the fotage needs to be converted on a third party software. Extra work...
DSE recommended Boot Camp (thanks Spot for the help on the phone!)
-Laszlo-