jam89

I want to become a Skydive Photographer

can anyone help me an give me some advice on how to start an become one?

Start by reading the sticky at the top of this forum.
Talk to local photographers at your DZ.
Once you're off student status, work on flying skills relative to others in the air. Tunnel time is good.
Ground skills; learn how the cameras work, learn what they can and can't do.

:D:D:D

There's a Cliche "It's nothing 1000 skydives won't fix."

Yea, that's a joke but I have run into a LOT of cam flyers who don't hit the shutter buton unless they are skydiving.

so to adjust that Cliche to the photography world"it's nothing 10,000 shutter clicks won't fix"

In order to become a better skydive photog you need to become a better photog all around.

Go outside and shoot everything. play with your seetings and figure out WTF they do.

and for God's sake use the search function there are thousands of posts that address this exact question.
My photos

My Videos

:D:D:D

There's a Cliche "It's nothing 1000 skydives won't fix."

Yea, that's a joke but I have run into a LOT of cam flyers who don't hit the shutter buton unless they are skydiving.

so to adjust that Cliche to the photography world"it's nothing 10,000 shutter clicks won't fix"

In order to become a better skydive photog you need to become a better photog all around.

Go outside and shoot everything. play with your seetings and figure out WTF they do.

and for God's sake use the search function there are thousands of posts that address this exact question.

I dunno man...ive got thousands of jumps on sport mode and TM (does that really mean tandem mode? If so why is there no AFF mode on my XTI?)and no refunds (well maybe a few after my stills remote shorted out!) Course Im no Willy Boykens..only a student factory filmer.;)

I dunno man...ive got thousands of jumps on sport mode and TM (does that really mean tandem mode? If so why is there no AFF mode on my XTI?)and no refunds (well maybe a few after my stills remote shorted out!) Course Im no Willy Boykens..only a student factory filmer.;)

TM mode? I'll have to look at my XT when I get home but although I know I have a Tv mode... I'm not sure I remember a TM mode...

unless you are using a nikon...

and JT is right... practicing on the ground will only make you better because you will learn more about your camera and how it works.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

and JT is right... .

HOLY SHIT!!!!

In 20,000+ posts I figured Thast would have happened beofre that post. I guess I owe beer.:D

:D

How's manual mode workin out for ya, JT?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I definitely learned from using M but I changed my settings to AV...AFTER I was able to accurately judge the M settings.

Thanks to all the tips.

When I shoot other than skydiving shots I use M.

Now I have to get used to using a flash.
My photos

My Videos

I definitely learned from using M but I changed my settings to AV...AFTER I was able to accurately judge the M settings.

Thanks to all the tips.

When I shoot other than skydiving shots I use M.

Now I have to get used to using a flash.

Glad it helped you out!

As for flash.... www.strobist.com and [url]super.nova.org/dpr/[url] are good resources. Obviously, you'll have to adapt what they're talking about to skydiving....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

and JT is right... .

HOLY SHIT!!!!

In 20,000+ posts I figured Thast would have happened beofre that post. I guess I owe beer.:D
I probably shouldn't say this but I agreed with you on a post in the bonfire about 3 minutes ago as well... :D:P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Not even one professional photographer will tell you to always use manual mode. A professional will tell you that there are many many situations that require you to use every other mode available, even Auto. And not necessarily just in situations where you need a quick shot and can't take the chance to not get a decent shot in manual.

Guys, it's OK to use anything but manual. The difference is when you aren't happy with what the non-manual settings will do for you and want something better. It's not a crime. But I do agree that if you spend a lot of money for a camera and are shooting portraits of your family either you have way too much money and want to look trendy or you're being a bit ridiculous (or just got suckered by the Best Buy guy that convinced you it was the thing to do).

Honestly, I don't really see a point in saying it's not right to only set for TV mode and let the camera do the work. That isn't my preference, because I enjoy learning everything I can, but if it works for them and camera flying is all they care to do with a camera they spent a lot of money for... what else could you possibly do in free fall anyway? In that situation that is what you have to rely on, if you're messing with anything else you are probably taking a risk of not getting any good shots at all and making the client pretty upset (and then having to issue a refund for something they didn't get).

So, I guess most people don't want to take that risk. I don't really blame them.

But my question is if their is even any other way to do it reliably? What mode do you shoot in when camera flying? I'm not sure I see how say for example one of the best photographers in the world, who has now become a skydiver and has 2000 skydives could out camera fly the non professional photographer. I could be wrong, but it just seems like that is a completely different world where not many ground skills will help you that much.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan