base_nz

Cookie box for a CX-7

Just for all those people thinking of getting a cookie box for there cx7 just be mindful of the lens you are using and the clearance needed.
eg Raynox .3 wont fit a standard cookie CX7 box unless you use an adaptor as a spacer or get the hole on the bottom drilled slightly more towards the front...;)

not sure about the 5050.....
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Good info. How much do you think would you need to grind down to fit the Raynox lens? Too much?

Before i was able to test the CX7 cookie box with a Raynox 5050, the lens got ripped off my camera by risers during a very shitty opening on the first jump of the day last weekend... oddly nothing on the camera was broken, the threads still in tact and not even a scratch...

Any Royal or Liquid lens fit very well in the box and doesnt stick out much at all. Of course the HD irresolution suffers with that type of lense, but...
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Good info. How much do you think would you need to grind down to fit the Raynox lens? Too much?

Before i was able to test the CX7 cookie box with a Raynox 5050, the lens got ripped off my camera by risers during a very shitty opening on the first jump of the day last weekend... oddly nothing on the camera was broken, the threads still in tact and not even a scratch...

Any Royal or Liquid lens fit very well in the box and doesnt stick out much at all. Of course the HD irresolution suffers with that type of lense, but...

I just re drilled the bottom screw forward a few cms.....
I guess i could have put a 37 - 37 adapter to space it out but i wasnt sure if that would affect the picture?.....

Was it side mounted or top when it got ripped off??
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

If the threads were intact, I'm a little stunned it was ripped off. Are you *sure* it was tjhreaded in all the way?
for giggles, I just took a Raynox 5050 and screwed it into an old broken HC using a thread adapter. Swung it/flung it, thinking the camera would rip off given the force. It's no where near what a riser might do, but no matter how hard I threw/pushed it, I couldn't get the threads to release.
But....
I unscrewed the lens so it only had one twist in it. With a hard flick of the wrist, I was able to tear the cam from the lens. It broke off the last 'lip' of the thread as well (on the camera).
I rescrewed it using the plastic adapter ring, thinking it would be very easy to rip off. Threaded in all the way, it wasn't. I ultimately ended up pushing it to the point that the adapter broke over my knee.
It's a concern, because I jump a box on my camera sometimes, but nothing in front of nor supporting the lens on a topmount.

I was very much surprised myself! I almost certain that i checked the tightness of the lens in the plane, as i usually do... but i cant be 100% sure, memory is a funny thing. So it's possible that it wasnt tight enough.

Now the question is, if it *were* tight enough would this tear the camera up? It was a harsh opening... So may be by losing the 100 dollar lens i saved a 700 camera? hmm, i didnt think about that. :)

Now the question is, if it *were* tight enough would this tear the camera up? It was a harsh opening... So may be by losing the 100 dollar lens i saved a 700 camera? hmm, i didnt think about that. :)

That's another potential benefit of the crappy little plastic offset ring...it might help save the camera vs stripping/ripping/bending the threads.

Is anyone having slight shaking going on in the video. Especially in SITFLY ?

You are not alone. I've seen the shake on a top mounted CX7 with the OIS turned on. It only had a problem in a sit fly though. Head down and belly were good.

Once I get a Cookie box, I'll be trying to sit with the OIS turned off. As far as other ideas, I'm at a loss.

I jumped my cx7 in a cookie box on the weekend and had a raynox 5050 on it, no problems fit wise.

I wish you would have posted this about 4 hours earlier!!! I will post back tomorrow about the Century .5 weather it fits in the cookie box or not.

Raynox 5050, the lens got ripped off my camera by risers

Welcome to the club B|
That happened to me last year:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3073797;#3073797

That experience encouraged me to go from Optik side mount to Vapor top mount. I've been enjoying the results of top mount this year. No lost hardware yet =]

Chris

Mine WAS mounted on top... B|

so what do you think of the Century lens so far? Better then Royal for High Def?

I didn't realize yours was mounted on top already. bummer! Like yours, mine stripped off and left the camera's filter threads intact thankfully. Also similar to your explanation, I think my lens was screwed on tight, but it could have possibly loosened.

Compared to the 5050's image, I prefer the Century. The Century's appears equally clear to me, without the fisheye distortion of the 5050. I haven't tested a Royal for comparison

You are not alone. I've seen the shake on a top mounted CX7 with the OIS turned on. It only had a problem in a sit fly though. Head down and belly were good.

Once I get a Cookie box, I'll be trying to sit with the OIS turned off. As far as other ideas, I'm at a loss.

Im seeing the same thing. I have CX sidemounted on Tonfly CC1 with padded L-bracket ( still waiting for Cookie box ) and in sitfly it had some vibration going on occassionally. My first weekend ever jumping camera so i wasnt sure if its me or the equipment.
A test tandem film was fine, and then other sitflys were more or less fine too.

This weekend i tested the CX7 with a Cookie box in various positions. Terrible image shaking during feet down flying. Tested with IS turned OFF, haven't tried with it ON yet. But seems to me CX7 is a very poor choice for feet down flying.... I may will post a video sample later

Just uploaded my weekend videos ( first ever, by the way ;) )
Two freefly clips and one tandem, shaking is there in freefly attempts.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaidokert

All done with sidemounted CX7 on padded l-bracket. Blurshot of the setup attached.
I wouldnt call the camera bad as of yet, the only configuration bit i ever touched in the menus is set focus to manual, didnt try stabilization settings or anything.

This weekend i tested the CX7 with a Cookie box in various positions. Terrible image shaking during feet down flying. Tested with IS turned OFF, haven't tried with it ON yet. But seems to me CX7 is a very poor choice for feet down flying.... I may will post a video sample later

Seeing the same results in a sit as well. Setting the focus to infinity, OIS off, and landscape mode helped quite a bit but there is still some shaking.

Century lens fits in the cookie box with a small amount of trimming.