lewmonst

Just when I thought I'd seen it all... Helmet fell off.

The vidiot's that I know of who have any special technique for the neck during deployment all are using the same way. They throw out the PC and then put their hands under the chin to prevent the down forward momentum of the head in case of a slammer. No one I have spoken to are bending the head forward and putting the chin toward the chest.

Yeah.. One very talented vidiot built two big handles on hes helmet only to take a grip on them while deploying. He was jumping a 15+ kilos on hes head so no wonder. Taking grip on your helmet is totally different thing than tilting your head down while deploying.

Head tilted forward with the weight beyond the center point is asking to hyperextend the neck during a hard opening, keeping the weight centered will lead to compression. The neck and spine is better equiped to deal with compression then hyper extention.

Keep the head level and looking out. Looking down or up is the worst thing you can do in a hard opening situation.

Compression of the neck is not what's happening during slammer openings that I've experienced. The body rotates fast about 120 degrees. Feet go from behind you to slightly out in front. Head rotates forward fast too. The pivot point between head and body is your neck. Head rolls forward fast til the chin impacts the chest, then head wants to continue rotating because it has momentum. That's what causes the hyperextension and stars in my experience.

If chin is already at the chest, then the head rotates with the body and I just feel a slight tug on the neck, instead of shooting pain.

Compression that I'm imagining you're explaining only happens once you're directly under the canopy with a standard opening. If it's a snapping opening your head is not in line with your spine unless it's being held there possibly by hands or some other mechanism.

Looking up is a bad idea, agreed, because there's nothing to stop the head from rolling back. Where did you learn that looking down with chin against chest was bad? The only neck pain I've experienced thus far has been when I didn't do that.

Maybe it wouldn't be prudent with larger commercial cameras. I'm not sure how that would affect the situation, but with an SLR and standard consumer video cam it works great.

Chris

...in cameraflying, that is, this one tops them all. I am now a member of the club... My riser caught my latch just right and my helmet fell off. Landed on a road. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. Luckily it was just the helmet and video camera. It had a good life...

[:/]

So who else had had this happen? I know of a few...

peace,
Karen

Damn, did you ever fully recover from the loss at the elsinore fire?

I ALMOST lost my helmet when we got our 206. it didnt have any step/handle so I was holding onto the rear of the door looking in at the tandem.

My 3rings unclipped my chinstrap(optik illusion)
I stayed put while thet got in the door. I waited for the count and exited....immediately grabbing the top of my helmet. I got the exit shot while I buckled the strap. then resumed filming as usual.

I lost about 2-3 seconds of vid when I was clipping the strap but I got the exit shot.:D
My photos

My Videos