hsaddler

Buying a patched canopy

My second canopy I bot had a patch on it. It all depends on where the patches are (top skin or bottom skin). I never had a problem with it, but did get a riggers "approval" before purchasing. Definately have a rigger give them their approval.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

If Its done by the manufacturer, and looks clean and well done, then I would have no problems buying the canopy for the same price as if it did not have the patch. If it was by someone else I would dod an inspection and if it passed the inspection then I would buy it, but I would expect a reduced price below market value for the equivalent used canopy.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

If it passes inspection and looks well done, I don't think it'd be an issue. Patches happen - I bought a canopy in really nice shape and on my second landing it got snagged on a weed or something and some of the stitching pulled out and had to be resewn. :-( But it's no biggie.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I'm looking at a used zp canopy with a couple of patches. The seller doesn't know why it was patched or by whom. Assuming that a rigger of my choice gives it a thumbs-up, is there any reason I shouldn't buy such a canopy?

(Hi Mike!)

see if you can find out who did the patch, if it's one of mine - don't touch it!;)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Umm, if the seller doesn't know why or by whom it was patched, I'd keep well away until I found out.

Would you buy a car with obvious crash damage from a seller with no info about how it happened? Actually, perhaps you would - I'm just paranoid about these things.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

If the patch is done properly I see no problem with it. IF its just ripstop tape slapped on... I would worry.

I had a French Pappillion when I first started jumping.. it had about 5% of the canopy in patches.... and most were ripstop and most were not sewn down. Thing was ugly... But your ZP canopy is not a round and its not ripstop material. Have a Rigger look it over CAREFULLY

Amazon