gale

Riser Preferences

I need to order new risers (see http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=511958;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread as to why)

I was asking people out at the drop zone for their opinion so now I'm asking you guys, what do you think? (I'm don't really use my front risers other then for play up high, but as I'm ordering risers I thought I should get options that I may use in the future.)

Also, could you please include why.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I use 21", Type 17, velcro toggles, dive blocks, mini rings. I want to buy the exact same risers, but with velcroless toggles to save my brake lines from some unnecessary wear. I like the blocks, but for no particular reason other than I have never had loops (FWIW, I do not swoop). I like Type 17 (wide) because even with Slinks my slider only comes down to the dive blocks, then stops. If I pull it down, the friction on the wider risers keeps it from sliding back up without any sort of keeper. Length and ring size are just because of my height and what my rig came equiped with.

I'm jumping Type 17 20 inch mini-rings right now with dive loops. I've had my gloves stick some times in the loops so I've decided to get blocks this fall when the risers get replaced.

Duhhhh... on the webbing. Its one of those days :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

triple risers, velcro-less, dive blocks, slider hold downs, and a hot asian hooker! hell yeah

Timmy, I broke a needle in the middle of bartacking one of the slider hold-downs to my riser. The broken needle bit hashed the shit out of my riser. Had to buy a set of shitty reverse risers they had lying around....

bummer

I like the blocks, but for no particular reason other than I have never had loops (FWIW, I do not swoop). .

Even if you dont swoop, it might be good to have those loops. I.E. if you are flying against wind and trying to get further you might want to use front risers..

The part that bothers me is this...

>>Had to buy a set of shitty reverse risers they had lying around....

You should bring those over cuz I have a bunch of Reverse riser experience and I'd like to check em out.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I think (almost) everybody is in agreement about velcro-less to save the break lines. I prefer dive loops to dive blocks because they are bigger and I got my fingers stuck in dive blocks once when coming out of a hook which scared the crap out of me. Not sure exactly how it happened, but I like the loops better now :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I think they are OK since they come from RI, so they were built by a reputable place.... just don't like 'em from the standpoint of the cable getting sucked through the grommet....

however, I figure I can live with them (haha) till I get my RWS set since if I have an opening hard enough to suck in the cables, my neck will probably break anyway....

For me the preferred type of toggles and risers depend on what I'm doing: for CReW I like dive blocks (easy to grab quickly, no potential hangup problem) & velcro toggles (so I can stick m back if I need my hands free for a while), for anything else (ie my own canopy) I like velcroless toggles (less wear on steering lines) and diving loops (easy to hold for a while). I probably wouldn't mind riser blocks on my own main tho, but the risers might be harder to re-sell cause everybody here has loops. And since blocks're thicker I suppose my riser covers close more neatly with loops.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am wondering what constitutes "blocks" for most people...

my blocks are in reality 5 thicknesses of type 4 webbing (i.e. toggle material) sewn to the riser... it is really not much of a block, just something to keep my hands from slipping down the riser...

not really any bulk to them at all...

the Korean hooker is not very bulky either....

I dunno.... RI? BR? CR? St? RWS?

That was supposed to be obvious...

I suppose I should have asked, and what do you think the results were?... Don't guess, I'll just tell you!

2 out of 4 released with ease. 2 out of 4 did not release with any amount of ease. Cutaway out and still attached.

In real life it prolly would have worked since it would fling the body sideways.

The test: Foot at the lateral and holding the riser in my hands,pulling on the riser with a lot of force. Some one else pulled the handle and It didn't release. When I released some of the tension and pulled again, it came apart.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Oh... me and captain Kirk tried that down there before I jumped it... I am not sure how much force puny little me could exert but the cutaway was easy....

I think a "3 blokes" test would more accurately reflect the Gs involved in a wicked spinning mal, but WTF... my main concern is the whole line-twists-down-to-the-3ring thing, so I hope RWS gets me my stuff ASAP...