arai

cx-7 memory sticks

I'm just about to put my money down on a cx-7 for skydiving (helmets on the way) and was wondering if anyone had a good source for memory sticks. The price point on the 8 gigs vs the 4 gig sticks (from what I've seen so far ) put it cheaper to by 2 - 4 gigs that a single 8 gig.

I plan on getting a few sticks as I'd like this cam to double as an on the ground camcorder, and dont want to have to rely on dumps to disk after I fill a single stick. I might have the laptop on the dropzone, but it might not accompany me on all vacations.

you'll likely wish you had the 8 gig...there are many outlets for these, but be sure they're MSPD fast/compatible if you don't buy Sony brand. I just bought a few Sandisk, paid a little over 100.00 for them, via an eBay reseller.

Be careful with e-bay for these. I purchased a couple and when they came I put them in my CX-7 and it gave me a message that the memory sticks might not work. I thought this was odd, but after checking out:

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo-MagicGate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236041?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:2

I find out I purchased a couple of counterfeit cards. I was lucky as the guy gave me my money back and even paid my shipping back to him.

I was also interested in which cards to get as there seems to be a very wide range of cards available with a wide range or read/write speeds. For the time being I picked up a Sandisk 8GB card from Best Buy very cheap and the camera works well with it. The only down side to this card is the time it takes to download it to the computer.[/url]

The same happened to me. Thanks for that link, wish I saw it a few months ago. Thankfully I got a refund too.

Yeah, the 4G just does not cut it.

Speaking of which, anyone else have issues with third party batteries with the CX7? Moral of the story, buy genuine sony... :)

HYPOXIC

Speaking of which, anyone else have issues with third party batteries with the CX7? Moral of the story, buy genuine sony... :)

I have a few Delco batts, they work fine (even the intelligent memory) but they don't fit in the Cookie box.

B&H has excellent service and reasonable prices. They will not be the lowest price but you won't have to worry about getting screwed. Click link below...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=1097&shs=&at=Type_Memory+Sticks&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Another note on the CX7 camera is that it lakes a LANC port so it will not support any kind of cameye or remote switch.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

B&H has excellent service and reasonable prices. They will not be the lowest price but you won't have to worry about getting screwed. Click link below...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=1097&shs=&at=Type_Memory+Sticks&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Another note on the CX7 camera is that it lakes a LANC port so it will not support any kind of cameye or remote switch.

Within the next 30 days, you will see a control for the CX7, selling for less than 100.00, that has features that skydivers have never dreamed of. Or maybe only dreamed of, but will have access to for the first time. You'll realize how weak the LANC protocol is (and it's for tape-based systems only).

thanks

I just started looking there when I saw 869.00 for the cx7 597.00 for the xti with the kit lens and 87.00 per 8 gig card

I could get the cx7, the xti and 2 -8 gig sticks for about 1650.00.....

heheh now off to price laptops and hd tv's (I know I'm a bastard but I've been saving for a while and what better way to spend it :P

lets see... macbook pro or alienware

I'm a big alienware fan, have a couple of their desktop machines. VERY nicely built, and very well supported.
Also have a MacBook Pro, and it's great with AVCHD on it on the PC side, and not so great on the Apple side. Apple and AVCHD do not play nicely together when speed is the need. What NLE are you going with?

not sold yet... I guess part will depend if I go macbook or not (right now I'm actually leaning towards aliens new 15.4" inch, small enough to be portable but can still fit in some serious power) I've primarily used premiere in the past but will probably switch to something more avchd friendly like vegas

all this started with a blody camera helmet, which of course needs a hd cam on top, which led to the slr I've been wanting to get, which needs a laptop at the dz, which needs a nice new lcd 42" screen to view on when I finish editing... bloody hell.

haha damn this domino effect

thanks

I just started looking there when I saw 869.00 for the cx7 597.00 for the xti with the kit lens and 87.00 per 8 gig card

CX7 at B&H photo for $850 once you add it to your cart.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Within the next 30 days, you will see a control for the CX7, selling for less than 100.00, that has features that skydivers have never dreamed of. Or maybe only dreamed of, but will have access to for the first time. You'll realize how weak the LANC protocol is (and it's for tape-based systems only).

Has this control for the cx7 come out yet?

Close. Oh so very close.
I'm disappointed it's not here now. But it's so close.
The beta units are very cool, features that skydivers asked for...and will benefit significantly from...

Teasing is such fun.:D

I see more people are planning on using headphones.... B|

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Man...
With a threat like that, I guess I'd better spill.;)
See a model at the link
The other option, is you could buy my new book on HD, in which I tell all. Except the book isn't shipping for 10 more days.

Just don't threaten me anymore. :D

Hey DSE,
I'm just about to make the final decision on whether to get the cx7 and I am leaning towards yes. I've held off for awhile to see what kinds of small HD cams would be out and this one is my favorite so far and it seems like it has passed the skydive tests. The only thing that I am worried about is the AVCHD. What are my options for just viewing the media I record? My plan is to import the files to FCP. Once I get the files to FCP, is it just a matter of converting the files to a more user friendly format so I can just play them as stand alone clips? My other concern is more about getting the media from the card to my Powerbook G4. From what I have read, I can't use FCP to import AVCHD unless I am using an intel based MAC. What would be my options in the field for transferring and possibly viewing the media on my G4? To sum this up, I guess my main concern is what is the best way to convert these AVCHD files to a more user friendly format?