dragon2

new canon eos 450D/rebel xsi

saw this in another photography forum it looks gorgeous with the new big screen but hopefully one of my offers on a new 30d will accepted so i can stop shopping around and being tempted by more and more expensive toys.

anyone know when the 450 is due for release?

Typically when Canon announces a SLR you can pick it up in less then a month.

It looks like a really nice camera, I am just a bit surprised to see the move to SD memory. Thats putting all my CF cards into the garbage if Canon is going to be moving all their future SLR platforms to that memory format.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

im only a novice in the market for my first slr but in the other thread it was mentioned that most p+s cameras seem to be sd so it makes the camera more appealing to them and also most laptop card readers can read sd but not cf.

as far as i know the 1d mk3 can read both so i doubt they will change their entire line exclusively to sd if there are rakes of professionals with hoards of cf cards

It looks like a really nice camera, I am just a bit surprised to see the move to SD memory. Thats putting all my CF cards into the garbage if Canon is going to be moving all their future SLR platforms to that memory format.

Yeh. that is weird. My guess is it helps them save weight and size, and since SD cards can hold high capacities now it's more viable.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't see any features that make me really want to upgrade from the XTi. Some nice changes, but it'll really come down to whether or not there's a real difference in picture quality. Upgrading would mean selling all my memory cards... and then if I ever wanted to upgrade to a 40D I'd need new memory cards again (unless the 40D's replacement uses SD too).

If the picture quality isn't noticeably better, the extra file size of the pictures just means fewer pictures per card (like 400D vs 350D). Doesn't seem like an upgrade when you get it. I'd hope the 450D does better at ISO 800 and 1600 than the 400D...

Dave

Damn you, I've been doing searches for "450D" for the past few months, I wanted to be the first one to this info, and you beat me to it! :P

Cool news, maybe worth the upgrade to my 350D now.

Yeah well

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 24 January 2008:

helps :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

a google on the rrp puts it at only $100 cheapr than the 40d so surely the 40d is by far the better option for that price difference

Let's see... bigger, heavier, and lower pixel count. Yup, that's way better!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Upgrading would mean selling all my memory cards... and then if I ever wanted to upgrade to a 40D I'd need new memory cards again (unless the 40D's replacement uses SD too).

Join the club [:/] I had a D70S, CF. Got a D80 for groundshots, SD, damn. Got a D200 for groundshots, CF. So I sold D70s and put D80 on helmet. End result: I need both CF and SD :S
At least the Kodak cameras could use either or both, that was very cool, f.i. you could write jpegs to one and RAW to the other, very handy.

At least my current 2 cameras take the same batteries, that's also a big concern for me. Canon isn't very consistent there either right now with the cheaper models, same as Nikon.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't see any features that make me really want to upgrade from the XTi.

Yeh, I skipped the XTi. Single generation upgrades are hard to justify... but from XT to XSi is two generations, so I might be able to swing it. Plus I think XT->XTi had more significant changes than XTi->XSi (and no memory card change which is a disadvantage to some consumers), so if I had the XTi, I probably definitely wouldn't swap.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Let's see... bigger, heavier, and lower pixel count. Yup, that's way better!

while the pixel count means very little,your right when it comes to skydiving the 450d is probably better i havnt started thinking like that yet as i wont be needing a camera to helmet mount for quite a while

a google on the rrp puts it at only $100 cheapr than the 40d so surely the 40d is by far the better option for that price difference

Yes and no. The 40D has a bigger and heavier body (great on the ground, not so great on your head), it's more weatherproof (great), it has more pro-functions. The 450d is a newer generation, live view may or may not be useful (depends on what you're shooting, it'll use up your shutter clicks quicker and eat batteries) but it can be turned off. Some more megapixels, not a big deal for me but may be useful for cropping.

If you need a sturdy camera for general outdoor use, I'd get a 40D. If you need it for skydiving only, the 450D is better. For both, your choice ;)
I'd pick a 40D if I jumped Canon ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Typically when Canon announces a SLR you can pick it up in less then a month.

You'll just have to move to the 1 series so you can use both... :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If you need a sturdy camera for general outdoor use, I'd get a 40D.

I'd also look at the 5D, full frame sensor is a really nice option for wide angle lenses. It really opens them up more.

True. However that's a fairly big price difference. Might be worth it though, since you don't have to spend so much on wideangle lenses, you can jump a small cheap-ish lightweight 24mm again ;) Evens things out a bit :)

I wish nikon had a similar FF camera [:/] Eh wait no I don't I'm broke already :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

saw this in another photography forum it looks gorgeous with the new big screen but hopefully one of my offers on a new 30d will accepted so i can stop shopping around and being tempted by more and more expensive toys.

anyone know when the 450 is due for release?

The canon website says that it will be available in April.

Edit: I'll be buying one.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

while the pixel count means very little,your right when it comes to skydiving the 450d is probably better i havnt started thinking like that yet as i wont be needing a camera to helmet mount for quite a while

It's true that the jump from 10MP to 12MP isn't nearly as significant as some people think. Especially for normal photography when you can take your time and frame your subject with the viewfinder. But for skydiving photography where framing is almost never perfect, and cropping is almost always necessary, every little extra bit of resolution helps.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

But for skydiving photography where framing is almost never perfect, and cropping is almost always necessary, every little extra bit of resolution helps.

I don't really agree there. I mean, it would be true if you really got more detail with more megapixels, but the difference between the XT and XTi (2 mp) isn't noticeable other than in the increased file size. It might make a difference if using a really really top quality lens and had perfect focus... but I think (at least in the case of my pictures) I'm more limited by the sharpness of the lens rather than the megapixels of the camera. For the amount I crop, even when printed at 13x19, I can't see pixels. I can see softness in the edges. More megapixels doesn't help that, unless you're printing on billboards.

I'm more interested in high ISO performance, better autofocus, more accurate metering, more dynamic range, etc. They could stay with 10 mp for all I'd care, but that's not good for marketing.

The 40D is definitely a better camera, even with 2 less megapixels. There's no question there... canon purposely leaves off features on the lower end models so that people buy the higher end ones.

Dave

For the amount I crop, even when printed at 13x19, I can't see pixels. I can see softness in the edges. More megapixels doesn't help that, unless you're printing on billboards.

Sort of.
I agree, in many instances, particularly for 8 x 10 prints, 2MP makes no diff.
Pixel count comes into relevance if you're doing a fair amount of cropping, chroma/luma processing too, as there is more meta-information there for the camera to work with. Yes, if you're working with jpgs, a big difference won't be noticed. Working with RAW...the computer sees a huge difference. Working with RAW and HDR...the greater information is also more important, even if the eye can't necessarily perceive it.

For the amount I crop, even when printed at 13x19, I can't see pixels. I can see softness in the edges. More megapixels doesn't help that, unless you're printing on billboards.

I have a few 20x30 prints hanging on my walls at home. Every little bit helps. 2MP is hardly anything, and it was not enough to motivate me to upgrade from XT to XTi. But going from XT to XSi, in addition to all the other benefits I'll gain, the 4MP will be noticeable to me.

Also, most professional photo publishing opportunities require 12MP sensor minimum. Even if it's not reasonable, the requirement is there. Yes, in any other context it would be silly to talk about the APS-C XSi in relation to "professional" photography. But as far as skydiving is concerned, my neck is still priority number one. If I can fly a light "consumer" camera that meets one of the key technical requirements held by stock photo agencies, etc, then that makes me happy.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com