DSE

XDCAM EX revisited

LouDiamond jumped the XDCAM EX today on a wingsuit jump. Cam was set to 1280 x 720p mode, shooting 60fps.
Smooth as butter.
YouTube version is up, or high-resolution MP4 can be watched as well. Neither are HD, neither do justice.
Everyone that saw it was stunned at the quality on the fairly horrible monitor in the Eloy packing area, sending SD composite vs HD component.
I'll post pix of LouDiamond wearing the cam tomorrow (forgot to grab that particular CF card tonight).

Cool..though shot way too far away to really do the camera justice I think...move in closer on the next jump!B|

Would be great to see some wingsuits or freeflyers up close, and doing some agressive spinning/twisting manouvres

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

move in closer on the next jump!

Besides being a challenge to fly due to its size( it acts like a giant rudder in the air stream), the EX has a FOV wider than I expected when open all the way. I kept one jumper's body pretty much inside the entire concentric ring sight most of the time and yet it still looks farther away than it is. Towards the bottom end of the jump I got even closer and thought I would probably end up too close and crop at least one of the jumpers out of frame but it didn't happen. The resolution is high enough on this camera that I am sure DSE could zoom in on the whole flight in post and not loose any detail. Its one very cool camera.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Guys,

Seems like we're going back to big cameras again after years of healthy necks due to the PC age. Remember there are lots of 80's and 90's camera flyers who have permanent neck damage from bulky hi 8 and vx 1000 camera usage. I say keep the quality a tad less and keep yer neck healthy with lighter cameras.

Guys,

Seems like we're going back to big cameras again after years of healthy necks due to the PC age. Remember there are lots of 80's and 90's camera flyers who have permanent neck damage from bulky hi 8 and vx 1000 camera usage. I say keep the quality a tad less and keep yer neck healthy with lighter cameras.

You will get no argument from me on this. However, the EX weight wise was not much more than the 5D and HC-5 that I currently fly top mount. It was mounted well over my spine that it felt balanced and only seemed a slight heavier on the right side. I just saw the ground pictures before and after the jump and the photos look funny to me as it looks like a gag since the camera is so unlike what most are used to seeing mounted on a helmet.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

any chance you could post a picture of what the camera itself, looks like...??
either on the helmet, or off.....

or else a link to manufacturers' data???
what sort of cost??? for this item???

thanks

jimmy

It is only $6999 at B&H, a bargain

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Very nice camera! Like mentioned above it is extremely lighter then some of my other vid camera's (No I don't fly camerea... along ways to go before that happens.)
Just wondering your thoughts about snag points?
As most Sony prosumer line, I would think have line tangle written all over them.
Thanks!