stuartjl

Line twists

The reason that I ask is that inconsistancies in rubber band size and strength of the stow can cause line twists. I would recommend getting the same size rubber bands and try to make sure that the length of the bites are the same. How small is quite small anyways??? 2 to 3 inches is recommended, I used to get linetwists quite a bit, then I shortened my bites to 1 to 2 inches and I havent had a problem since...but keep in mind that you are running a risk of linedump with shorter stows especially if they are loose. Without seeing what you are doing its tough to tell. I would try to get your stows as uniform as possible and see what happens...ask someone you respect and trust to take a look at your setup.

Line dump is when your line come out of the bag to quickly or out of sequence. If it happens you'll know because it will smack you hard. NIce neat stows with the same size bands is probably your best defence against line twists. Also keep your nose nice and even when flanking it out for packing.
Later,
Aaron

Also my friend just found the problem with his consistant line twist resulting from a faulty slider that was uneven in its manufacturing so when the slider was tossed it wouldspin up while deploying the canopy and resulting in spinning th canopy into line twists.. SO have someone go over your slider to make sure that it is OK too.. just in case..

>NIce neat stows with the same size bands is probably your best defence against line twists

I don't use any rubber bands... there is no need to. I freestow the lines on my main most the time anymore. Line dump is where the canopy starts to inflate before you've reached complete line strech.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have around 100 jumps on an exe 185 and seem to get line twists quite regularly. I have paid some attention to my body position and packing but I can't seem to figure it out, anyone?

Do you leave enough of the lines unstowed? If you don't, the bag can snag on the reserve container during deployment, causing line twists. You should leave about 50cm(20inches) unstowed(depending on the container, of course).

A single rubber band or two for the locking stows (this might get replaced with something like a Safety Stow If I get creative) is all I use. I'll use the rubberbands if I have all sorts of time or something, but if I'm back to backing... I just coil the lines. A reserve has freestowed lines too, they are just in a pocket on the freebag.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The speed at which the lines come off a bag don't make much if any discernable difference on the speed at which a canopy inflates.

Keeping the bag closed until Line stretch and then having the bag come off the parachute is what makes the difference.

Line stows of some sort are important for line management.

I've experimented greatly with line stows. Tight, loose, Different types. No stows (except the locking stows) and the results have always been the same. Now there are bags with zero stows held closed by Tabs and the lines are freestowed in a pouch.

As parachute opening technology has improved, Line stows were found not to be the culprit to hard openings.

Managing the lines to get them away from you and keeping the bag closed untill it is pulled off the parachute with the bridle... (sequenced deployment) is all thats necessary.

Improper packing techniques and slider management are what will hurt you.

Hope that helps.
-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto